Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning in Houlton Yard

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#34382  by graftonterminalrr

As Houlton is just over the border for me (I live in Woodstock NB), I took the opportunity last weekend to see the old BAR yard in Houlton.

What I saw were lots of orange 50' ex-BAR boxcars, all with RB trucks. Most of these have been re stencilled YKRR and SBRR, I don't know what those reporting marks are but I will find out I'm sure. (I have seen some older 50' ex-shortline cars from the per-diem era of the 70s, all with "Cushion Service" still on them and the same reporting marks as the ex BAR cars.) Many of these cars had what looked like a fresh coat of paint, or at least paint that was no more than 2 years old... very little rust and weathering on these cars. As well the wheel treads were still shiny which indicates to me that a local freight still comes by, any question as to when?

I did see one old 40' boxcar on friction bearing trucks. It was in the old 3 color State of Maine scheme which I thought didn't exist anymore, evidently one still does. If it is still there next weekend I will take some pictures. When I saw it the side doors were wide open.

There are 4 old 40' cars on a siding not far from the shops. These I guess have been captive for at least 15 years judging by their appearance and the fact that the old switch is gone.

There are some signs displayed, that say "Property for sale" and these signs bear the BAR logo and "Bangor and Aroostook Railroad" under the logo for good measure. I would have thought these would have the new MMA logo on them but that is not the case.

Several gons were spotted, all ex-BAR with MOW stencilled on them. These are maintenance cars that look like they were delivered maybe last week or so as they were not there 3 weeks ago.

So the question now is getting there while the local freight runs by. Would anyone here have an idea when that might be? And, what traffic does Houlton usually see? I do remember when there was a mill of some sort there (pulpwood I believe) but this has been closed for at least 2 years as my information tells me. Also, for you oldtimers, where was the location of the old CPR station that stood in Houlton? This would be the line coming from the Debec wye off of the CPR's Shogomoc Sub.

Any help, observations etc are appreciated. Sorry I have no pics but next time I am there I will snap a few off.

#34396  by graftonterminalrr

quick correction. Cars were labelled SLGG, not SBRR. My memory was telling me wrong. :D

#34527  by bar358

The Houlton Local runs Millinocket-Houlton and returns M-F. I think they go OD at 0700 now and make it to Houlton by 1300 after switching Millinocket yard, a mill along the way, and Oakfield. Mondays are heaviest in terms of traffic, about 20-30 cars in tow behind 2001. Feb. was the last time I made it out their on a Saturday extra with over 50 cars and 2 rebuilt 35's, so one can get a good size train up their in daylight.

Matt
Castine, ME

#34643  by graftonterminalrr

I appreciate that, I'll have to do some railfanning tomorrow.

Those GP35s are rebuilt SP units, no?

#34674  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
Yes, those GP-35s are ex SP units, stripped of their turbos and with an upgrade or two in the direction of GP-38 status.
Also, based on activity around Millinocket today, MPEX 2001 might not be running the Houlton local anymore, as it went to the Millinocket mill today around 1 pm. I did hear later a B-39-8 getting clearance to come down from or down to Oakfield. I think this was the Houlton Local returning to Millinocket, based on the timing, and location.
Have fun all!
cya, Joey

#34681  by JAJ

What can you guys tell me about the yard at Oakfield? This website shows it to be fairly impressive, is there that much action going on there any more? Engines laying over (or stored?) there?

http://users.silcon.com/~lgoss/morebar.htm

JAJ
MMA-RAIL owner

#40973  by BARModlr

Well now, Houlton yard brings back a lot of memories. I lived in Houlton for about 19 years, from '68 to '87. It was about '79 to '80 when I was over at the yard almost every day, so much so that I got to know the local crew quite well, even to the point that I could get a ride up to the chip mill and back almost anytime I asked. All the tracks were stil there in those days, up until one day sometime in '80 or '81, I wewnt over and they were tearing up some of it. As before, this was the time when the chip mill was still in operation, so every day there were strings of the jade green chip cars, mixed in were some boxcars, and the carload or 2 of heating oil for Dead River. Power was almost anything they had, except for the switchers. I would walk from one end to the other rather often, watching the gus doing the switching. A lot of my modeling reference came from those days.

Graftonterminal, you asked about the location of the old CP station in town. If you cross the border, and take the left road into town, come down Military St until you see the Catholic Church on your right, St Mary's, I think it is. When you get to that, there is a left turn opposite the church parking lot. Turn there, and you're on Station St, and about 500 ft roughly up, there's a small knoll ahead of you. There used to be a set of tracks right there, and just to the left of that was where the CP station used to stand. The flat area there used to hold the small CP yard. Getting back to Military St, back at the bottom of the big hill, just at the intersection of Foxcroft Rd, there used to be a set of tracks there that served a row of potato houses right along Foxcroft Rd. Ran back from Mil St about 500 ft or so.

To JAJ: John, I really have not heard a lot about Oakfield yard lately, but the last I did hear was that they're starting to move the center of operations back there, or at least some of it. Last I knew, it was starting to become more that just a storage yard. I think it's starting to become a lay-over point, and I've heard that they have started to do crew changes there, so maybe life will come back to Oakfield someday.