Railroad Forums 

• MMA Equipement

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#33060  by CN9634

I recently say a roster of the MMA's locomotive power and its quite large. There was one thing I wanted to know though, which units do they own and which are leased? Any insite would be appriciated
:)
 #33184  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
Well, all of them are leased, but all of them are owned :-)
The title to the GEs and the F-40s is owned by Railworld Leasing, and the majority of them carry MMA reporting marks (all GEs do, but a few of the F-40s still have CDAC reporting marks) so in effect, all the locomotives are leased. In reality, since Railworld is leasing them to Railworld, they are owned.
Some of the locomotives that have been stored on the system since Railworld took over are rumored to have been given to the MM&A, I don't know which ones, or what their final disposition will be.
For further information on the MM&A, see www.rrnne.net and click on Montreal Maine and Atlantic.
Hope this helps!
cya, Joey

#33372  by Realityrail

WRONG!!!!!

MM&A owns all the GE power, Not Rail World. The F40's are stored by MM&A for Rail World and can be used as need.

So the Raility is MM&A owns them!

#33640  by sandpvrr

RealityRail,
I had been told repeatedly that Railworld Leasing owned the GE's and the F-40s. Did that change or did I get bad information?
I've also been told that the cars wearing MMA marks aren't owned by the MM&A, but by a leasing company. Is that accurate?
Thanks!
cya, Joey

#33774  by Realityrail

The GE's and the F3 are all owned by MM&A. Who ever told you otherwise is not in the know.

Rail world locomotive leasing www.railworld-inc.com owns the F40's.

as with almost all railroads, the majority of the freight cars are leased from their owners.

#33852  by sandpvrr

RealityRail,
Thanks for the correction, I would rather be corrected than be wrong.
cya, Joey

#39296  by AmtrakFan

I thoguht they were leasing EMD's what happened to those?

AmtrakFan

#39860  by Realityrail

MM&A leased EMD power from a few sources this winter due to traction motor failures on their own locomotives.

The traction motors were rebuilt by a company known as Power Rail. Some of these were so poorly rebuilt that they failed with in 100 YARDS of their first use! This brought MMA to its knees and demoralized the great Derby work force.

If you have any thing to do with locomotives, or if you know any one who does, warn them to NOT do any business with Power Rail. Not only do they sell crap, they do not stand behind their warranties.

#39914  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
The leased EMD's that are being referred to came from three major sources - Railworld Leasing (as mentioned) the Wheeling and Lake Erie, which contributed 6 SD-40-2s, two of which were ex Rio Grande tunnel motors (I know there is a special model number for them - at the moment it escapes me) and CP Rail. CP Rail leased a total of 5 locos to the MM&A, although I don't think they exceeded three at any given time. Three GP-9s stayed in Canada, probably as yard switchers I would guess, while two SD-40-2s (one in the newest paint scheme) ran on the Job #1 and Job #2 trains. I got lucky, based on the hunch of bar358 - we caught both of the SD-40-2s leased from CP on Job #2, and followed them most of the way from Jackman to Onawa trestle. Got to Onawa too late to catch them, but caught a Pig train instead, and then headed to Millninocket to see the power.
Incidently, MPEX 2001, a EMD carrying a GE builders plate has been leased by MM&A almost from the beginning, but no one I have talked to has known how long it is going to stay.
Have fun all!
cya, Joey

#45284  by mick

It seems MMA is leasing the former LW 50 foot plate F boxcars that were stored on Guilford at East Deerfield and Rigby . The big blue cars are now sporting MMA reporting marks, although the numbers are not changed.

#45714  by sandpvrr

Mick, and all,
Quite right!
Guilford leased that batch of LW labeled cars, then let the lease expire, they left Maine, didn't see any for several months, I assume they went into storage, then one day I found a string of them on the MMA interchange track in NMJ, half re-decaled into MMA marks. One report said they bought them - then the next day, someone else told me they were leased. I don't know which it was, perhaps the leasing company that owns the other MMA cars bought them, but I don't know. Anyone have further information??
Thanks!
cya, Joey

#45862  by mick

It seems odd that MMA would give up the lease on the gray 50 foot plate F cars, the ones with BAR/CDAC logos and SLGG reporting marks (which now have NKCR reporting marks), then get the LW cars. I'm sure it all has to do with cost, lease agreements, etc., but it seems nowadays almost every freightcar is renumbered or painted over in some way, like YKR, NKCR, NOKL, SLGG. It's hard to tell who owns what without an Official Register, even that can be decieving.

#47144  by graftonterminalrr

I don't know, fully 1/3 of the cars I see in Houlton yard are still sporting BAR reporting marks.

By the way, that ancient 50 footer with the solid bearing trucks and 3 color State of Maine paint job is still there. It shows a last servicing date of 06-78 so who knows where it's been or what it's been hauling, if anything. I'll be getting some pics of that before it goes, I hope.