Railroad Forums 

• Step up to the government feeding trough

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#24563  by Cowford

I heard recently that MMA is bringing lines up to 286k standards. I was surprised... until I saw today that they have applied for a $34 million "loan" from the FRA. And then I see that MMA is installing welded rail and 20,000 ties north of Brownville Jct. Yep, most of the funding will come from the State of Maine's Rail Assistance program. Sorry to be a pessimist, but I wonder how much the MMA will profit from these "investments." GRS and its predecessor BM always did quite nicely on taxpayer-involved investments on MBTA, etc. The latest boondoogle was the Bos-Por passenger rehab. Not only did GRS get a new line, they also made out in the rehab itself.

#24575  by gravelyfan

Sounds like smart business moves by MM&A.
Are you upset with MMA or with the government here? (or Guilford?)

Personally the RRIF program seems like a good first step by the federal government towards achieving more balanced transportation throughout the country. And yes it is a loan, not a "loan." The money gets repaid.

#24889  by mick

It's
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

#25648  by Cowford

Are you upset with MMA or with the government here? (or Guilford?)
Yes.

#25851  by MEC407

mick wrote:It's only bad if Guilford does it, remember? because theyr'e mean, meanie-weenies, because they don't want the Downeaster to go 70 instead of 60. Those 2 paying customers on the train could get to Portland or Boston faster, you know.
2 paying customers?

Have you ever been on the Downeaster?

It's usually standing room only...

#28484  by mick

At night it is usually empty, I hear them giving the passenger count at LJ, "goose egg, roger that".