Railroad Forums 

• BAR F3 #502

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#323823  by douellet

I was up to the model train show in Brewer last weekend and I had the pleasure to chat with with Wayne Duplisea a retired B&A engineer. He said that he liked the F-3's better than the early Geeps and the BL-2's. As far as pulling power went Wayne said the BL-2's were the best. Also I heard that the 502 was in the shop at Derby. Does anyone know if there are any plans to get this engine back into running condition? I'd love to see it on the rails again. The last time I saw it was in 1991 during an excursion run between NMJ and Searsport. I still have my tickets from that trip.

#323930  by MEC407

I believe MMA does plan to eventually restore the F3 to operable condition, but it's probably not at the top of their priority list. I don't think anybody has to worry about it being sold or scrapped, though. :-D They made a point of keeping it when they purchased the BAR, so I'm sure they have plans for it.

#324125  by Realityrail

I heard from one of the meployees that works week ends that the engine was pressure tested for water leaks and only three cylinder sets were leaking. He told be the engine oil ststem was pressurized too and that it rolled over well

There was also talk about a volunteeer action to restore the chooch...and it may include both employees and week end buffs. Would anyone really volunteer to help is the big question.........would anyone? maybe if we answer that question here we could see a fast return to service

#324255  by MEC407

I live at the opposite end of the state, so volunteering wouldn't be easy for me... but I might be able to get up there for a day, if I had enough advance notice of when the work day was going to be. I really hate it when groups/organizations have volunteer work days and they don't announce them until the very last minute, and then they b!tch and moan about the lack of attendance.

I suspect you could easily get at least a dozen people to show up and participate, as long as you get the word out and give people enough time to make proper arrangements, get the day off from work, etc.

#324262  by MEC407

Here is a thought:

Speak with the person(s) at MMA who is on charge of the F3 project, and have them get in touch with the Downeast Scenic Railroad. That is the group that is working to restore service on the Calais Branch. They have assembled a sizable group of dedicated volunteers who care about Maine rail history... perhaps they would be willing to include a blurb about the F3 in their newsletter. That would give you some excellent exposure to a group of people who would be very likely to help.

Thinking farther down the road, perhaps MMA could occasionally lease the F3 to Downeast Scenic for excursions. The group has already found a little 44-tonner that they are going to use initially, but maybe they might want/need something a bit bigger and fancier for special occasions.

#324363  by bar358

I would be surprised if the MMA asked/offer non employee volunteers a chance to work on the F-3 because of the liability/risk involved. Also, if they did look for volunteers, how many of those would have the skills needed?

Matthew Minson

#324627  by robc

I wil. I am also volunteering my time for the Downeast Scenic Railroad for their technical issues. Designing the remote control Locomotive was fun! we've had great luck with that project.
 #574980  by MEC407

According to a photograph recently posted by Rod Bushway, the 502 is getting new traction motors. Could this be a sign of things to come?

Here is the photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=249466
 #615083  by calaisbranch

I'm just pumped to hear it's still alive! Last time I saw it was in 1999, the summer before the roundhouse at NMJ was closed. The #502 was crammed down a rusty siding in back of like 4 or 5 CDAC units. It's rear coupler was shoved into a pile of dirt, and it was stripped of its cab's top bell and light lens. Otherwise, the paint looked pretty good.
Glad to hear the old EMD didn't meet the same fate as the roundhouse and other facilities at NMJ.
 #709582  by MEC407

For that matter, it would be great to see it at the Downeast Scenic RR.

Seeing it anywhere, operating under its own power, would be great. Naturally I'd prefer to see it in Maine. :wink: But anywhere in New England would be nice.

I'm just thankful that it hasn't been scrapped. It's kind of amazing that it has survived this long. There can't be very many F3s still in existence. F7s are still fairly common, but F3s not so much.
 #709702  by Tom coughlin

Its amazing that 3 of the surviving F-3A's are from the Bangor & Aroostook. The other two are the ones masquerading as Jersey Central units in PA.
Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA