Railroad Forums 

• F3 #49

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#16281  by Richard Glueck

I am told (without reliable resources) that the MM&A is very much aware of the historical value of the last F3. Can anyone report on the engine's status? Is she to be refitted? Will she run again? Become a static exhibit? Go up for sale?

Dick
 #16421  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
Last reports I have of the F-3 was that it was still painted as the 502, 42s original number if I remember.
49 was rebuilt in 73, from 47s remains, and scrapped in 1984.
Recently, a friend of mine went to Derby, where 502 is supposed to be stored, and reported that there was no F3 visible anywhere outside. My guess is that 502 is inside somewhere in Derby shops.
Last reports I had on that was that she was down for traction motors. I would guess, probably some other electrical work as well. Rumor was that the MM&A folks bought the F3 and some passenger equipment from the BAR property before they bought the railroad, and that supposedly, the F3 was going to pull the offical train. I have no idea what happened to those plans.
Anyone have any further info?
thanks, Joey

F3

#23748  by Realityrail

The F3 is safe and sound in Derby. The staff feels that all she needs is four traction motors and a bit of TLC to get her up and running. Look for her to come alive before the fall of 2004.
 #23754  by sandpvrr

Realityrail -
Thank you so much for this information! That confirms a theory I've been working for a few months, and is great news!
Take care of the ol' 502 for us!
cya, Joey