Railroad Forums 

• GNP Locomotive

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1466929  by backroadrails

I saw a while back photos of a GNP owned GE45 ton locomotive, and I have been wondering what became of the locomotive since. Any information would help!
 #1466964  by S1f3432

In the book "Bangor and Aroostook" by Jerry Angier and Herb Cleaves, Flying Yankee Enterprises, 1986, on
page 241 there is a photo at a distance of a small GE 44/45 Ton type locomotive at GNP's North Twin Lake
log dumper. Google found this photo: http://www.donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr1102/gnp391.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haven't found any other references, so far, altho it seems familiar. I might be confusing it with the
GE 65 Ton that BAR bought from Fraser Paper. Hope this helps.
 #1466969  by baldy

Believe Thais unit was sold to the Edmonton, AB transit district. Sometime in the 90s. Was used to dump pulpwood into the West Branch of the Penobscot river at North Twin, about 5 or 6 miles south of Millinocket. Way back in the day I got a ride on it, twice, the first time got to run it, they weren't dumping wood that day. The BAR had three tracks to store emptys and loads. One remains today, single ended, the GNP tracks are gone. What's left of the dumper is still there. Environmentilists put a stop to it. It was used at Dolby to dump wood as well in the late 70s and early 80s. The GNP had, as I was told, 4 small locomotive's at one time. The one above, one at the Millinocket mill, one at Sheridan (Ashland) and one, supposedly, at Greenville. However none of the natives who lived there in the 40s and 50s remember it. Also they did own a 44 tonner that came from the NYO&W, had mu connections to boot. Went to the Hartwell RR in Georgia. If anyone has any further info or corrections I'd appreciate hearing, or seeing, them.
 #1467050  by backroadrails

Thank you Baldy for your reply. I am wondering if one of the other switchers the GNP owned was the one at Kidders in Searsport, they had a 45Ton GE at one point.
 #1467249  by oibu

GNP had the Plymouth locos (3 of them, I believe) from the former Eagle Lake & West Branch (Tramway), at least 2 45 tonners, and an early 44 or 65 tonner as mentioned (I am not aware of it being an ex O&W, but that doesn't mean it wasn't).

The only GNP locos at Greenville that I am aware of would be that one of the Plymouths may have been used on the Seboomook & St. John construction, and then at least one (same one or another?) moved overland (i.e., on a trailer pulled by a crawler tractor) from Greenville to Tramway for the EL&WB.

Per Terry Harper, 1 or 2 of those Plymouths still existed as of a few years ago in a private collection.

One 45 tonner was used at Dolby for at least some period of time at the log dumper there.

GNP also had an ex MEC wood-bodied Russell plow. Not sure what it was used for, other than it must have been used to clear GNP yard trackage somewhere, either at one of the mills or dumpers or maybe they got the BAR to move it between the different locations when needed?? MEC records indicate it was sold to Central Maine Power which I always wondered about until I realized it actually went to GNP (Central Maine Power= Hydro from the dams).

Baldy, do you know anything about that plow? And did you ever see any GNP company trucks (i.e, log/pulpwood/etc. highway trucks)? I can't tell from the faded photos I have seen if they were painted dark green, or dark blue, but would like to figure It out.

Also would be interested to know how the 44 (not 45) tonner at North Twin was painted (i.e., what colors).
 #1467319  by GP40MC1118

Some notes I have for GNP. Did not know of the Plymouths...

4 45T GE BN: 29028 Blt: 4/49 Acquired: 4/49
Notes: to ? (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) 1997

5 44T GE BN: 15031 Blt: 1/42 Acquired:
Ex- F. M. Judge Co. 1, NYS&W 104
Notes: Sold to Hartwell RR 5

Dave
 #1474687  by backroadrails

The Ge45Tonner in mention has been located in a scrap yard in Plainville, CT I guess it was sold in the liquidation sale of GNP.