Railroad Forums 

• Maine Regional Railways Project

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1354631  by MEC407

From the Portland Press Herald:
Portland Press Herald wrote:Central Maine & Quebec Railway will contribute $4 million to a $10 million project. Trains on most of the railroad’s line between Hermon and Searsport now travel at 10 mph. The project will replace 34,650 ties and provide new ballast and new rail on the 78-mile section. When completed, trains will operate at about 25 mph.
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.pressherald.com/2015/10/26/f ... from-feds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1355882  by gokeefe

A huge victory for Maine's railroad network. I was struck by the possibility of signal work between Waterville and Northern Maine Junction. Also very impressed to see how much Class III track will be in place.
 #1355947  by gokeefe

CN9634 wrote:The signal work is actually removing them between WTVL and NMJ which is happening as we speak.
Oh dear. Well, at least we won't have to worry about them breaking down anymore! ;)
 #1368074  by BostonUrbEx

CN9634 wrote:The signal work is actually removing them between WTVL and NMJ which is happening as we speak.
Wait- what? I'm pretty sure PAR petitioned to remove the signal system in the past, but was denied by the FRA. At any rate, the system is still in place and there's at least no immediate plans for removal. I don't know the specifics, but perhaps they could strike a deal where a contiguous CTC signal system from Royal Jct to Leeds Jct would allow the removal of the system from Oakland to Hermon. There's more trains, more tonnage, more hazmat, and more train meets in that stretch, anyway.
 #1368150  by Cosakita18

Wait- what? I'm pretty sure PAR petitioned to remove the signal system in the past, but was denied by the FRA. At any rate, the system is still in place and there's at least no immediate plans for removal. I don't know the specifics, but perhaps they could strike a deal where a contiguous CTC signal system from Royal Jct to Leeds Jct would allow the removal of the system from Oakland to Hermon. There's more trains, more tonnage, more hazmat, and more train meets in that stretch, anyway.
PAR only wanted to remove the signals from Fairfield north. The FRA and Maine DOT want the signal system to stay in place for any possible future passenger rail expansion. The signals between NMJ and Fairfield are still active as of January.
 #1368305  by BostonUrbEx

Cosakita18 wrote:PAR only wanted to remove the signals from Fairfield north.
That might as well be everything and would leave less than 10 miles of signaling. That would leave the system only in place in Oakland - which is next to useless - and Waterville - which is a yard with no highballing trains passing by and would be better better off without the system.
Cosakita18 wrote:any possible future passenger rail expansion
What a joke.