Railroad Forums 

• Recent NMJ Construction

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1350754  by fogg1703

Does anyone have the particulars on upgrades to NMJ that CMQ undertook to facilitate easier exchange between CMQ and PAR? Looks like they replaced at least the siding over Rt 2/100 double track bridge. Any work in the farm area?
 #1350778  by KSmitty

Pan Am is still working to cut the second track in on their end, but yes they rebuild the second ramp track over Rt. 100. They are also planning to put in a second track for Pine Tree Propane (the one that is served off the first ramp track).

Don't know about the farm area for new construction, but they have done some tie work. I believe the plan calls mostly for work on the Pan Am side, with a plan to eliminate the need to interchange on the farm side of the junction.
CMQ would pull the Pan Am cut down ramp 2, then shove back towards Cold Brook Rd. Drop, run light back up the ramp track. Pick up their stuff at the top off the other ramp track.
Pan Am would pull into the junction, shove CMQ's up the ramp track, then run light to Car House (or is it Oil house) crossover, and pick up what CMQ left for them, then haul west.
 #1350892  by fogg1703

Thanks for the info KSmitty. Interesting that most of the track upgrades seem logical to us now looking at an aerial view but during the BAR/MEC times, this was ground zero for the good fences make good neighbors mentality of the two roads.

The LMS bulk/chemical transload business had dropped off considerably last I heard and now with a couple of mills closing , does not bode well for the farm area in general. How about the Dysarts traffic?
 #1350964  by KSmitty

fogg1703 wrote:How about the Dysarts traffic?
Solid and stable from my limited view. Havent been north/east nearly as much as I'd like this year. LMS still seems as busy as it has in the past, but again, that can be subjective.
 #1350984  by CPF363

Anyway a map could be downloaded and edited with the appropriate names of each track to better understand what they are doing at NMJ? Also, has there been any consideration to adding a connecting track from just east of Maine Scrap Metals on the MEC to the wye track to ease in direct interchange at NMJ? Trains would run east on the MEC from Waterville, under the BAR, then turn on to the BAR just east of Maine Scrap Metals, head south a short distance, turn to the west to the BAR, then turn to the north over the MEC and head to Brownville. Waterville bound westbound trains would do the opposite move.
 #1351008  by KSmitty

CPF363 wrote:Anyway a map could be downloaded and edited with the appropriate names of each track to better understand what they are doing at NMJ?
Nope. Sorry. But we're talking about the stretch of Pan Am between the Bangor and Aroostook station and Cold Brook Rd crossing.
CPF363 wrote:Also, has there been any consideration to adding a connecting track from just east of Maine Scrap Metals on the MEC to the wye track to ease in direct interchange at NMJ? Trains would run east on the MEC from Waterville, under the BAR, then turn on to the BAR just east of Maine Scrap Metals, head south a short distance, turn to the west to the BAR, then turn to the north over the MEC and head to Brownville. Waterville bound westbound trains would do the opposite move.
I'd wondered about this when there was talk of unit oil trains running again. They ran 1 PAR-CMQ-NBSR, if it had become regular this would certainly make sense...but most of CM&Q's north/south trains have more than just Pan Am traffic, so a simple runthru loop is not as necessary as the ability to drop and pick up blocks of cars.