Railroad Forums 

• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1443850  by 690

Plus the usual cement and perlite. A few new(er) cement hoppers have been added to the pool, so you'll probably see the older NAHX ones being phased out here.
 #1446181  by Dick H

I was on the noon "Lighthouses and Shipyards cruise today in Bath. (10/5).
As we approached BIW, the CMQ job to Rockland with five covered
hoppers was passing over the Carleton Bridge. The boat Captain
noted that this a "once a week occurrence".
 #1449821  by MEC407

Video by drc930:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uNZcW0Yyvg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1449920  by gokeefe

Dick H wrote:I was on the noon "Lighthouses and Shipyards cruise today in Bath. (10/5).
As we approached BIW, the CMQ job to Rockland with five covered
hoppers was passing over the Carleton Bridge. The boat Captain
noted that this a "once a week occurrence".
Lucky you! Seeing a train cross that bridge from the water is a rare sight indeed.
 #1450600  by MEC407

From Village Soup:
Village Soup wrote:A proposed schedule for the pilot Downeaster Amtrak passenger train service to Rockland is being developed, with the first trains possibly pulling into the Union Street station in May.
. . .
Quinn said Tuesday, Nov. 14, that the pilot program is still in the exploratory stage. The next steps are to check the tracks between Brunswick and Rockland to see if they meet the needs of the equipment.

Between mid-December and mid-January, the Rail Authority will hold forums in communities where the trains will stop -- Rockland, Newcastle, Wiscasset and Bath -- to gather public feedback.

Possible schedules are still being developed, but the current proposal is for the service to run May through October on weekends. The tentative schedule calls for a train to leave Boston at 5 p.m. Friday and reach Rockland at 10:30 p.m. The train would then return to Brunswick, where it would stay overnight.
Read the rest of the article at: https://knox.villagesoup.com/p/downeast ... ay/1703997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1450621  by kilroy

The Maine Eastern excursions moved at a good clip so I would think the tracks are still in fairly good shape. I don't think it will take too much to get them up to Amtrak standards,
 #1450682  by gokeefe

Agreed.

Great article from Village Soup.

I am very happy indeed to see the Rockland seats projected to be sold on the 5pm departure out of Boston. That will be a very strong market indeed.
 #1450744  by Dick H

#685 sold out leaving Boston just about every Friday during the summer into the fall this year.
Rockland passengers better buy their tickets early in the week or even earlier.
 #1450757  by deathtopumpkins

Village Soup wrote:The next steps are to check the tracks between Brunswick and Rockland to see if they meet the needs of the equipment.
Didn't Amtrak run a train up to Rockland recently? Like within the last year or two? I thought that was essentially an 'inspection trip'.
The train would then return to Brunswick, where it would stay overnight.
Didn't we previously establish that there was a layover space in Rockland? I wonder why they would be deadheading all the way back to Brunswick instead. That seems like an awfully expensive deadhead compared with just laying over in Rockland.
 #1450761  by gokeefe

It was a visal inspection for VIPs, not track geometry and/or defect detection.

There is no suitable layover site in Rockland. Furthermore the trainset would be out of position for the next day's work and isolated from mechanical support. They want the trainsets to be serviced in Brunswick.
 #1451964  by Ridgefielder

MEC407 wrote:From Village Soup:
Village Soup wrote:A proposed schedule for the pilot Downeaster Amtrak passenger train service to Rockland is being developed, with the first trains possibly pulling into the Union Street station in May.
. . .
Quinn said Tuesday, Nov. 14, that the pilot program is still in the exploratory stage. The next steps are to check the tracks between Brunswick and Rockland to see if they meet the needs of the equipment.

Between mid-December and mid-January, the Rail Authority will hold forums in communities where the trains will stop -- Rockland, Newcastle, Wiscasset and Bath -- to gather public feedback.

Possible schedules are still being developed, but the current proposal is for the service to run May through October on weekends. The tentative schedule calls for a train to leave Boston at 5 p.m. Friday and reach Rockland at 10:30 p.m. The train would then return to Brunswick, where it would stay overnight.
Read the rest of the article at: https://knox.villagesoup.com/p/downeast ... ay/1703997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
O/T but-- what is that train in the file photo? Looks like the PRR's Congressional.
 #1451980  by kilroy

Morristown & Erie owned car at Rockland station.