Railroad Forums 

• Rockland Branch Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1508926  by sleepingtree

At the Brunswick interchange today, I noticed a CP boxcar. If that’s destined for the Rockland branch, it’s the first the branch has seen in some time. Any word on destination?
 #1508953  by CN9634

Sounds like a misroute, I've seen at least 2 cars get delivered by ST to CMQ at Brunswick that sat and had to be re-routed back to NMJ. See below from the PAR website a routing guide, notice how they call it the 'Rockport line'

Central Maine And Quebec Brunswick, ME (Rockport Line) CMQ BRUNW
Central Maine And Quebec Northern Maine Jct., ME CMQ NMJCT
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon May 20, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1508984  by 690

Other possibility is that it was used as a spacer to bring a hazmat up for training at Brunswick. Usually whenever one of those is happening they just grab whatever empty boxcar is easiest to grab out of Rigby, and use that. CP boxcars go west on POED to EDFLD, then 11R to Mohawk.
 #1511003  by MERailFanJay

So yesterday I drove past the Rockland yard and noticed for the first time that 2004 has 'Remote contolled' painted on the tail end. Has that always been there? Do they run it remotely now?
 #1511102  by MEC407

That dates back to the MMA days.
 #1516931  by MEC407

The Amtrak geometry train (with two locomotives and two cars) is apparently on the Rockland Branch day, based on photos that NNEPRA posted on Instagram this morning.
 #1516985  by shadyjay

Yes, a good sign indeed. I'd love a chance to ride this line. I missed out when Maine Eastern was running their excursions.
 #1517005  by MEC407

Seeing NNEPRA's photos on Instagram reminded me of just how pretty the scenery is on the Rockland Branch. If they start doing seasonal service on the branch it will easily become one of the top 10 most beautiful Amtrak routes.
 #1517007  by gokeefe

1,110% Agreed!

It puts the shoreline views on the NEC in Connecticut to shame (and that is by no means easy).

Also ... when this happens it will be the first time since the 1930s (or earlier) that a train has run through directly from Boston. Previous service in the 1940s, and 50s required a change of trains in Portland.