Railroad Forums 

• BL-2 #55 ?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1134092  by tim5405

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had a answer why 55 had a different bell on the nose then the other 6 BL-2's the BAR had?
 #1136379  by fogg1703

While I could not find a specific explanation I did note that the BL2's weren't delivered with the nose mounted bell. It appears they may have been added during the mid 1950's possibly during the renumbering scheme and gradually the fleet was all shopped by Derby prior to the 1960's. My guess, BAR ingenuity and parts available in house led to one oddball unit. Perhaps the as delivered bell location was not conducive to operations in winter weather therefore a higher placement was necessary. Given the fact that BL2's were not the preferred leader on trains by crews, the different bell probably never made a difference.

That being said, I would ask on the BAR Yahoo site or check the various articles in model railroad magazines about super-detailing BAR BL2. Also the Oakfield Railroad Musuem is a great source of everything BAR.