Railroad Forums 

• Acela Speeds

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1524549  by Arlington

In another thread, it was reported that the constant-tension catenary work has been completed and the question arose: is this now 150mph track? and if not, is it because of a lack of power?

I can't find anything in (for example, Wikipedia) on any further upgrades needed as part of the 150 (160 for Avelia) stretch.
 #1524556  by DutchRailnut

it takes way more than upgrading catenary to up a speed, signals. track !
 #1524557  by amtrakhogger

Arlington wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:07 pm In another thread, it was reported that the constant-tension catenary work has been completed and the question arose: is this now 150mph track? and if not, is it because of a lack of power?

I can't find anything in (for example, Wikipedia) on any further upgrades needed as part of the 150 (160 for Avelia) stretch.
My 2 cents. The only thing that needs to be done (I think) at this point is changing out the transponders for 150mph running.
Most of the work has been completed, however like Mr.DR noted, there could more that needs to be done before notching out that throttle.
 #1524581  by ApproachMedium

DutchRailnut wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:01 pm it takes way more than upgrading catenary to up a speed, signals. track !
EVERYTHING has been done. Everything. Signals were the first to go. The wire was next, the track supposedly is already monitored at such level for the speeds they expect.

Transponder programming can be done overnight, very simple change. Right now they are locked at 135. The biggest question here is, why is the two outside tracks not upped to 125 yet? That should have been done a while ago! There is currently a huge push between DC and Philly to bring all of the tracks up to the same speeds so that if a train has to use a different track, it wont hold back its ability to keep up time between stops.
 #1524594  by gokeefe

Does "everything" include the new power sub station?
 #1524595  by Arlington

gokeefe wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:31 am Does "everything" include the new power sub station?
My limited knowledge: WIkipedia suggests the only substation "thing" was a new one in Hamilton in 2015?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak%27 ... ubstations

If there was another substation to be added or upgraded, I don't see it in Wikipedia
 #1524599  by gokeefe

Yes, I believe Hamilton is the one ... Near Princeton Junction on the "raceway".
 #1524774  by ThirdRail7

Arlington wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:07 pm In another thread, it was reported that the constant-tension catenary work has been completed and the question arose: is this now 150mph track? and if not, is it because of a lack of power?

ApproachMedium wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:43 am
EVERYTHING has been done. Everything. Signals were the first to go. The wire was next, the track supposedly is already monitored at such level for the speeds they expect.

Transponder programming can be done overnight, very simple change. Right now they are locked at 135.

It should be quite obvious what is happening. Do you really think they are going to raise the speed prior to the arrival of their new babies? How will it show improvement? :wink:

ApproachMedium wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:43 am
The biggest question here is, why is the two outside tracks not upped to 125 yet? That should have been done a while ago! There is currently a huge push between DC and Philly to bring all of the tracks up to the same speeds so that if a train has to use a different track, it wont hold back its ability to keep up time between stops.
They are purportedly waiting for NJT to put their PTC in service.
 #1524839  by ApproachMedium

The new substation installed by Siemens is across from the old fairgrounds, near Hamilton station.

I dont understand what NJTs PTC nonsense has to to with amtrak raising speeds. maybe for 160, but for the outer 125 tracks why not?