Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Fare and Availability Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1257828  by Greg Moore

I've noticed more issues with their site lately (like "reservations being unavailable" and then hit refresh and it working. A friend has reported the same thing.)

And had breakfast with a fellow passenger who was reporting similar issues.

Wonder if they've got a bad server or two behind the load balancer.
 #1257831  by Bob Roberts

I have noticed similar issues booking the NEC and the Carolinian (low bucket disappearing and then reappearing during interrupted booking processes) -- I chalked it up to purchases and cancellations but it sounds exactly like what you are seeing on the Shuttles.

hmmmmm
 #1257854  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: This is why I am for making routes like NHV-HFD-SPG unreserved...

If CDOT takes over this service in the future fares would be flat and probably cheaper...

MACTRAXX
 #1257869  by theozno

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: This is why I am for making routes like NHV-HFD-SPG unreserved...

If CDOT takes over this service in the future fares would be flat and probably cheaper...

MACTRAXX
I would get a 10 trip but fare code 1 is actually a lot cheaper than a 10 trip & you would not get the 100 (right now 200) AGR points per trip plus almost every trip I take seem to be fare code 1.
 #1257877  by NH2060

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: This is why I am for making routes like NHV-HFD-SPG unreserved...

MACTRAXX
Well with NHHS up and running there will be an unreserved NHV-SPG service so there won't be a need or reason for Amtrak to have the shuttles be unreserved. They'll still serve as connections for NEC trains (either in lieu of additional through trains to SPG or until additional slots, etc. could be allocated -if ever- for such runs).
 #1257897  by Jehochman

I believe the deal between CT and Amtrak provides for cross honoring tickets. Amtrak will operate NHHS under contract by CTDOT. this will probably end up bring like the flat rate Amtrak fares in VT. No more buckets on this route.
 #1257973  by kitn1mcc

i just checked it it would have cost 6.00 to 21.00 dollars. should have just went to the ticket window

you could have also taken Ct transit

and from what i understand the new commuter train is supposed to be just like shoreline east
 #1257987  by shadyjay

In my opinion, I really don't see any need for Amtrak to continue with "Shuttle" service once ConnDOT commuter service begins. I would eliminate Wallingford, Windsor, and Windsor Locks from the Amtrak map. Retain the thru SPG-WAS trains and the Vermonter service, stopping only at intermediate stations in Meriden, Berlin, and Hartford. ConnDOT is already subsidizing shuttle service that connects to/from NER trains at NHV. If a NB NEC train is running late, it will delay its connecting shuttle. Why should ConnDOT subsidize such a service once commuter rail begins on the line? Passengers who want to connect to/from a train to NYC could jump on Metro North, or to go farther south, connect with an Amtrak NER. With the frequency of service that is proposed, the wait wouldn't be too long.

But from what I've read, both the commuter rail and Shuttle service will co-exist. To be honest, I don't see that co-existence lasting too long before ConnDOT drops the shuttle subsidy, in favor of its own service.
 #1257994  by DutchRailnut

the CDOT service would only add to Amtrak service, they own the line, CDOT would only supplement Amtrak services.
If CDOT were smart (and they are not) they would now subsidize the Amtrak fares to fill up current trains first.
 #1258019  by theozno

kitn1mcc wrote:i just checked it it would have cost 6.00 to 21.00 dollars. should have just went to the ticket window

you could have also taken Ct transit

and from what i understand the new commuter train is supposed to be just like shoreline east
A. ticket window in Meriden was supposed to be open at 10am on Sunday even says so but was not.
B. 6,9,12 & 21 to be exact
C. CT transit is 1 hour, plus it does not run on sundays I believe.

I hope it is operated like SLE oh heck, M8's were supposed to be to New London freeing up the Consists.

it might be a little TMI but I am going up to Meriden from Stamford 2-3 times a week... The girlfriend lives up there. A lot easier than driving and a lot cheaper if you do the 56 cents a mile ratio
 #1258020  by theozno

Jehochman wrote:I believe the deal between CT and Amtrak provides for cross honoring tickets. Amtrak will operate NHHS under contract by CTDOT. this will probably end up bring like the flat rate Amtrak fares in VT. No more buckets on this route.
I really hope so. Team up with the ski resorts too as I have seen the proposed schedule should be 5pm going thru stamford is proposed for 7:30pm. Being a ski instructor at Okemo, It is hard to tell if I have work for the day or not until last minute which makes it hard to get the cheapest fare.
 #1258437  by theseaandalifesaver

I've taken Amtrak from Boston to Hartford (which includes Springfield to Hartford) quite a bit and I've never paid more than $9.00 for that segment of the trip. In fact, regardless of time, day and how advance I purchase tickets, it always seems like that segment is usually always the same price.
 #1258451  by gprimr1

I believe Amtrak is considering running the shuttles as far north as Greenfield so I doubt they will stop them.

I think the shuttles should become the express trains on the route and let CT run locals.
 #1258543  by NH2060

gprimr1 wrote:I believe Amtrak is considering running the shuttles as far north as Greenfield so I doubt they will stop them.
The plan all along has been to eventually have 4-6(?) round trips (presumably Amtrak) up to Greenfield. However there are proposals to have a separate contractor (including Pan Am) operate their own passenger trains so aside from the Vermonter -and any additional Montrealer or other through trains from south of SPG- who knows who'll operate any additional services. Some NHHS runs could possibly be extended to Greenfield as well.
I think the shuttles should become the express trains on the route and let CT run locals.
I believe that's part of the plan as well, most likely having them be NHV-HFD-SPG runs. They certainly won't be stopping at any of the planned new stations for NHHS. Having them only stop at only a handful of stations would presumably streamline the new fare system.