Railroad Forums 

• Horizon Coach Refurbishment

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1514264  by eolesen

Or you fly in the mechanics and truck in the parts that need to be repaired...

Airlines do that all the time -- anything beyond the capabilities of the on-call mechanics becomes a field trip for the experienced heavy mechanics.

It's not unusual to have to do something as complicated as an engine change on the ramp at an airport without a hangar big enough to allow the job to be done inside... I once watched the nose of a MD80 be rebuilt on the floor of a hangar by mechanics from Oklahoma... nose gear collapsed on the runway and destroyed everything below floor level and in front of the main passenger door. Several weeks later, it flew out with new structure and skin.
 #1514317  by Greg Moore

Hmm.. they seem like a perfect fit if the hoped for Sunset Limited East/City of New Orleans Extension service starts up.
 #1514324  by Backshophoss

They are prefect for the Gulf Coaster service,remember they were built"on the cheap" so a bunch of normal options were deleted
for winter weather ops that would be standard for a Comet/"Sausage" car for Northeastern US commuter services.
 #1514334  by Tadman

The irony of being built on the cheap is that they've done so well over 30 years. Or is that like a Volkswagen or a pickup? It's simple, there's not much to go wrong. I know it's not cool to love the Horizons as a fan, but I love them as a passenger because they usually get me where I'm going with the HVAC running and doors opening.

If they were rebuilt and recommitted for another thirty years, perhaps power doors/traps are the ticket, and a better wifi. South Shore has wifi in each car, while I think Amtrak's is cafe based.
 #1514377  by mtuandrew

I wouldn’t be opposed to Amtrak buying some newer Comets and refurbishing them as Horizon IIs. Both Beech and Bear would be able to handle such, or it could be farmed out to a subcontractor if Amtrak were able to trust anyone to do it their way.