Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1477355  by bostontrainguy

SouthernRailway wrote:If that's true, why can't Amtrak just allocate more sleeping car revenues to dining service and eliminate any dining losses by just allocating more sleeping car revenues to it?
They actually were doing that. That's the reason they added this new entree:

Land & Sea ...............................................39.00
Cooked to order signature Black Angus fl at iron steak with optional
Bérnaise sauce, paired with a premium crab, shrimp and scallop cake.
Served with vegetables and your choice of baked potato, mashed
potatoes or wild rice pilaf. (835 ave. cal.)
 #1477362  by Suburban Station

SouthernRailway wrote:If I understand correct, Amtrak's accounting is non-GAAP and it allocates costs to LD trains and the NEC as it sees fit (i.e., Amtrak does its accounting any way it wants).

If that's true, why can't Amtrak just allocate more sleeping car revenues to dining service and eliminate any dining losses by just allocating more sleeping car revenues to it?
I believe Amtrak follows gaap accounting but gaap doesn't cover cost allocations which are useful for mgmt decisions (and in this case legal requirements) but not for the financial health of the company. Most companies have internal reporting mechanisms related to its businesses separate from its financial statements.
Last edited by Suburban Station on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1477463  by Gilbert B Norman

Suburban Station wrote:
SouthernRailway wrote:If I understand correct, Amtrak's accounting is non-GAAP and it allocates costs to LD trains and the NEC as it sees fit (i.e., Amtrak does its accounting any way it wants).

If that's true, why can't Amtrak just allocate more sleeping car revenues to dining service and eliminate any dining losses by just allocating more sleeping car revenues to it?
I believe Amtrak follows gaap accounting but gaap doesn't cover cost allocations which are useful for mgmt decisions (and in this case legal requirements) but not for the financial wealth of the company. Most companies have internal reporting mechanisms related to its businesses separate from its financial statements.
I find it interesting that, because those in the railfan community find it a scapegoat, that Amtrak Financial Statements do not conform with GAAP is widely circulated beyond special interest sites such as here and even into trade media. Case in point is this Mark Singer column appearing in Railway Age:

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/do ... o-clothes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
In essence, despite ignoring GAAP by playing a “shell game” with PRIIA revenues and National Network funding to subsidize the Northeast Corridor, due to the lack of accountability, oversight and transparency by Amtrak’s Board of Directors, we do not have the details to know to what extent Amtrak is now “flying at night in the fog and rain on instruments, with the instruments turned off.” If so, Congress should demand Amtrak to immediately open its books for a comprehensive audit by a reputable third-party accounting firm; to open up its dark vault how it allocates costs, funding and revenues.
Amtrak Financial Statements do conform with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and an Independent Auditor, presently Ernst & Young, has expressed an Opinion that such Statements fairly state the Income (loss) and Financial Position of Amtrak. Because these Statements and Opinion Letter are copy protected, they nevertheless are at the Amtrak website. All I can say is "go fish"; here's the path to the "fishing hole":

Home/About Amtrak/Reports and Documents/View All Reports and Documents/Annual Reports and Consolidated Financial Statements

For comparison, ring up an Annual Report (often a copy of the 10-K filed with the SEC) of a publicly held industrial concern of your choice. Carefully note that the Opinion Letter is quite similar to Amtrak's, except for the Amtrak "going concern" warning, which is better known as "no funding, no Amtrak".

Responsibility Accounting, as Mr. 1617 JFK Blvd (BTW volks, that's the street address of Suburban Station in Phila) notes, is the purview of management so long as such does not result in a material misstatement of the Company's financial condition.
 #1477501  by Suburban Station

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
I find it interesting that, because those in the railfan community find it a scapegoat, that Amtrak Financial Statements do not conform with GAAP is widely circulated beyond special interest sites such as here and even into trade media. Case in point is this Mark Singer column appearing in Railway Age:

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/do ... o-clothes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
In essence, despite ignoring GAAP by playing a “shell game” with PRIIA revenues and National Network funding to subsidize the Northeast Corridor, due to the lack of accountability, oversight and transparency by Amtrak’s Board of Directors, we do not have the details to know to what extent Amtrak is now “flying at night in the fog and rain on instruments, with the instruments turned off.” If so, Congress should demand Amtrak to immediately open its books for a comprehensive audit by a reputable third-party accounting firm; to open up its dark vault how it allocates costs, funding and revenues.
Amtrak Financial Statements do conform with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and an Independent Auditor, presently Ernst & Young, has expressed an Opinion that such Statements fairly state the Income (loss) and Financial Position of Amtrak. Because these Statements and Opinion Letter are copy protected, they nevertheless are at the Amtrak website. All I can say is "go fish"; here's the path to the "fishing hole":

Home/About Amtrak/Reports and Documents/View All Reports and Documents/Annual Reports and Consolidated Financial Statements

For comparison, ring up an Annual Report (often a copy of the 10-K filed with the SEC) of a publicly held industrial concern of your choice. Carefully note that the Opinion Letter is quite similar to Amtrak's, except for the Amtrak "going concern" warning, which is better known as "no funding, no Amtrak".

Responsibility Accounting, as Mr. 1617 JFK Blvd (BTW volks, that's the street address of Suburban Station in Phila) notes, is the purview of management so long as such does not result in a material misstatement of the Company's financial condition.
OIG Audit
https://www.oig.dot.gov/sites/default/f ... -27-13.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gao.gov/assets/680/674585.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also interesting is that they found Amtrak's reporting improved, meaning it was flying without instruments more in the past than now.
 #1477519  by John_Perkowski

Admin note

If we don't see a return to the direct discussion of food service, we will thank you for your participation and call this a completed topic.
 #1477526  by oamundsen

We just finished an alternate month trip Syracuse, NY/Denver, CO this past weekend and the difference between food service on the CZ compared to the new "enhanced" menu on the Lake Shore will turn your hair white. CZ, good crew, normal Amtrak fare, Lake Shore first a "reception" for sleeper passengers in the new dining car now called a Lounge. One hostess, nothing on the tables, no pretzels, no crackers, no peanuts, no nothing except on free drink from a limited list (no Scotch). A "happy face" pitch from the hostess about how we could enjoy using this starkly empty car at any time and get our food box at any time, "eat whenever you want." The breakfast box was in fact a box made of some wood product with a yogurt parfait of some sort, a piece of "breakfast bread, " a muffin and a fruit plate. Since we did not accept this offering, we went to the real snack car/business class and got a breakfast hot sandwich, tow hard boiled eggs, and a bagel. The attendant then said that this would be on the house and apologized for the inconvenience. Since we were getting off at Syracuse around noon (being about an hour behind scheduled time), we took two lunch boxes with us. Our choice from the menu of several salads, a vegie wrap and some cheese/cold cold cut plate was the steak salad which was a plastic bowel of greens with some sliced steak, a glass cup of cheese cake, salad dressing with a pack of mustard, mayo, napkin and plastic knife, fork and spoon. The plastic items seemed to be made in China and again, it was all in a wood fiber box. Of course, there were several pieces of paper with glowing descriptions of how wonderful and environmentally friendly the whole thing was.
All of the printed promotional material surrounding this "enhanced dining experience" reminded me of the advertising copy from the hayday of Madison Avenue hype for the benefits of smoking! Enjoy!
 #1477552  by gokeefe

Amidst all of the regrets and chagrin it seems appropriate to remind the audience that the NexDine food service aboard the Amtrak Downeaster is excellent and has a variety of cold and hot options made fresh.

"The Cafe car is to the front of the train and now open, next stop Haverhill."
 #1477564  by bostontrainguy

gokeefe wrote:Amidst all of the regrets and chagrin it seems appropriate to remind the audience that the NexDine food service aboard the Amtrak Downeaster is excellent and has a variety of cold and hot options made fresh.

"The Cafe car is to the front of the train and now open, next stop Haverhill."

I believe this is the latest menu:

http://amtrakdowneaster.com/themes/cont ... e-menu.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was an earlier version:

https://mommymakestime.com/wp-content/u ... e-Menu.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1477585  by oamundsen

Remember that the DownEaster dining car is under the management of Patrica Quinn's organization which runs that service: not Amtrak. And yes, the beer choice is excellent, in fact, on my last trip, half a bottle of excellent beer dumped on my lap when the passenger in the seat ahead of me pushed back in a forceful manner.
 #1477592  by oamundsen

If you want to see what a real breakfast looks like aboard a train dining car, go to today's Train Orders and see photos of what this mornings breakfast on the Ocean looks like. And, it comes out of a small pantry with a convection oven! The other US food service which is quite different from Amtrak is the Cascades lounge offerings also under control, I believe, of the state organization. As a VIA supervisor told me after they achieved a remarkable turn around of the Canadian during an ice storm: "It is all a matter of attitude."
By the way, to the question of how did the Lake Shore food taste; since the steak salad was 4 slices of beef atop a pile of greens (which are the perfect vector for some nasty bacteria) I only suffered what would politely be called "intestinal discomfort" reminding me of the old adage to travelers: "don't eat raw vegetables when traveling in under- developed lands."
 #1478808  by bostontrainguy

From another online forum not verified:

Some adjustments are coming to the Lake Shore and Capital menus. Starting July 11, the beef tenderloin salad will be replaced with a hot short rib, polenta and vegetable entree. It will be served with a side salad and the same salted caramel cheesecake dessert.

The breakfast box is being slimmed down with mango and grapes replacing the fresh fruit mix along with the Kind bar and banana nut bread being removed.