Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1514819  by lordsigma12345

Backshophoss wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:45 am What the Eastern US diner is being setup for "airline style" prepackaged Food with little or no onboard heating/prep before serving.
This can range from horrid to barely acceptable depending on the Commissary's kitchen to "make it right"every time!
Even Chefs have bad days from time to time.

The only exception to this is Auto train,retaining fresh cooking for the sleeper passengers,the"pre packaged" Cross country cafe/lounge
for the coach passengers,a la "Silver Starvation" style.
Lets hope they don't mess with the Silver Meteor Diner.
My understanding was there was no fresh cooking on the Auto Train - was under the impression the meals are pre-prepared and merely heated in the diner, and plated (which makes a much nicer presentation than a box.) Am I wrong and are these meals actually prepared on board?
 #1514878  by Ken W2KB

It must be noted that under federal law Amtrak's management is required to reduce the cost of providing food service to the point that food service revenues cover the full cost, including labor, to zero out operating loss, by the end of next year. Unless Congress sees fit to change this mandate, food service will likely continue to deteriorate from past practice to the extent required to meet this mandate. The only way this can be reversed is by interested parties contacting their federal elected representatives to encourage them to amend the law:

49 U.S. Code § 24321. Food and beverage reform
(a)Plan.—
Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of the Passenger Rail Reform and Investment Act of 2015, Amtrak shall develop and begin implementing a plan to eliminate, within 5 years of such date of enactment, the operating loss associated with providing food and beverage service on board Amtrak trains.
(b)Considerations.—In developing and implementing the plan, Amtrak shall consider a combination of cost management and revenue generation initiatives, including—
(1) scheduling optimization;
(2) on-board logistics;
(3) product development and supply chain efficiency;
(4) training, awards, and accountability;
(5) technology enhancements and process improvements; and
(6) ticket revenue allocation.
(c)Savings Clause.—Amtrak shall ensure that no Amtrak employee holding a position as of the date of enactment of the Passenger Rail Reform and Investment Act of 2015 is involuntarily separated because of—
(1) the development and implementation of the plan required under subsection (a); or
(2) any other action taken by Amtrak to implement this section.
(d)No Federal Funding for Operating Losses.—
Beginning on the date that is 5 years after the date of enactment of the Passenger Rail Reform and Investment Act of 2015, no Federal funds may be used to cover any operating loss associated with providing food and beverage service on a route operated by Amtrak or a rail carrier that operates a route in lieu of Amtrak pursuant to section 24711.
(e)Report.—
Not later than 120 days after the date of enactment of the Passenger Rail Reform and Investment Act of 2015, and annually thereafter for 5 years, Amtrak shall transmit to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate a report containing the plan developed pursuant to subsection (a) and a description of progress in the implementation of the plan.
(Added Pub. L. 114–94, div. A, title XI, § 11207(a), Dec. 4, 2015, 129 Stat. 1638.)
 #1515244  by gokeefe

Shades of Penn Central and the Rock Island ... At least in this case Amtrak seems to be in a good financial position to handle this issue.
 #1515362  by SouthernRailway

I'm not understanding why Amtrak will be serving first class dinners in boxes, instead of simply putting the food on plates.

I'm not up for spending $600 on a sleeping car trip on the Crescent, with dinner served in a box.

No airline first class these days that I know of would serve dinner in a box. US Airways did in about 2004 and I was pretty unhappy (even though it was a frequent-flyer upgrade at no cost above a coach ticket).
 #1515383  by gokeefe

SouthernRailway wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:02 pm I'm not understanding why Amtrak will be serving first class dinners in boxes, instead of simply putting the food on plates.
Basically the short answer comes down to, "Because Congress said so." Notice that on the Auto Train they're doing the opposite as a result of strong operating revenues.
 #1515384  by David Benton

To get the labor content down to a single server , I presume.
However it is the kind of service you'd expect on a budget airline , whereas Sleeper WAS supposedly first class.
I personally wouldn't mind it, but then I would never fork out never top dollar off a sleeper. If I did , i think the interaction with coach passengers is what i would miss.
 #1516092  by Tadman

So I just booked a trip to the UK for a few meetings, and I've got a weekend between them. I'll be spending a day on the Welsh business class train as a fun sidetrip. For those not familiar, this is one of the last regular passenger train in the English speaking world that makes fully cooked aboard meals (as opposed to a tour train). I'll post some pics, but until then, here's a report.

https://www.thetrainline.com/blog/arriv ... ss-service

As I've had the latest in Amtrak meals aboard Superliner, Acela, and Viewliners, I'll post about the differences.

What's interesting here is that this is not an ultra long distance train, but rather an effort by the Welsh gov't to attract business to a remote area. Picture Michigan sponsoring fresh meals aboard the Blue Water.
 #1516093  by David Benton

Well worth getting off at Llandudno Junction, and taking the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railway. a visit to the slate mine musuem is interesting too.
https://www.festrail.co.uk/
No leeks on the menu, by the look .
 #1516094  by lordsigma12345

Sad thing about this - my most recent full diner meal - a dinner on the Meteor- was excellent - the land and sea combo. The steak was cooked to perfection and the cut of beef seemed better quality than the last time I had the same meal. The crew did a great job - and now are likely getting laid off.
 #1516096  by Tadman

I have had the Land N Sea, some days its decent and some days it's a bit off.

Regarding David's comments on the Ffestinog, I've wanted to ride a number of heritage operations but this is a whirlwind tour attached to some business meetings, and I'm going to try to ride the Night Riv in both directions in addition to the Welsh Business Train, the Calley, and the Highland Chieftan. It's a safe bet I'll spend as many nights in a MkIII sleeper as I do in a stationary bed.

I wish I could ride behind the A4 or perhaps stop in York for the museum.