Railroad Forums 

• BDOs coming to Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#941718  by CarterB

And how would a BDO have prevented this?
 #941884  by E Runs

JimBoylan wrote:Where did it say that the fool in Iowa was riding the rails, let alone on an Amtrak train?
The attempted sabotage was reported this morning on WGN-AM and while it didn't specify freight or passanger train the report stated Amrtak passangers should see an extra security presence as a result.
 #942047  by jamesinclair

*Coal train derails in North Dakota*
-2 hours later-
"Mandatory seat belts coming to northeast corridor passengers!"

The fact that the news story is on the same level of absolute idiocy is remarkably frightening.
 #942120  by JoeBas

Frightening? Yes. Surprising? Hardly.

It's like they're not even TRYING to make a genuine connection to roll out their next piece of "security"...
 #942125  by gprimr1

I have often suspected that the TSA's goal is to take over air, bus and train travel in the name of "safety."

Unfortunately, I know all to many people who are more than willing to be detained, groped and fondled in the name of "safety."
 #942134  by CarterB

Just imagine this...........a BDO ....or even a covey of them.....at 8:30am...weekdays ......at Times Square ....watching the 1, 2, 3, 7, N, and Q ,R and 42nd Street Shuttle trains...... and stopping all the folks, dressed and acting strange, with a suspicious looking package...........Hell, the entire commuting population will be suspect!!!! and not much better at Penn Station watching the boarders for NJT!! Or "how bout them apples", when the Knicks or Rangers games let out!!! "Getchyer Armageddon here"
 #942230  by Tadman

What's a BDO? An accounting firm?

A little Thursday humor while I try to figure out "BDO"
 #942246  by gprimr1

BDO=Behavior Detection Officer.

These are usually plain clothed, non= nondescript people who patrol looking for people behaving suspiciously.

These actually can be a very effective form of security.
 #942262  by Greg Moore

gprimr1 wrote:BDO=Behavior Detection Officer.

These are usually plain clothed, non= nondescript people who patrol looking for people behaving suspiciously.

These actually can be a very effective form of security.
Thanks. I was having trouble parsing the initialism.

As for being very effective, that question is still in the air. People are starting to look into the claims and not finding them to be as supported as some would like. (For example, while everyone talks about how effective El Air security is "see, no hijackings or bombings" I have not been able to find any firm stats on actual penetration attempts and the like. It may simply be effective since the average terrorist attacking Israel finds it far easier and cheaper getting on a bus rather than a plane.)