Railroad Forums 

• Train from South Carolina -NY/NJ

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#915811  by Ryand-Smith

Hey all, I have a few questions about Amtrak travel from Charleston to New York/New Jersey. Are there any Amtrak trains that go from Charleston to Newark Airport station, or would I have to stop to Trenton and take a local train, and how long is the average travel time, 15 hours, 13, 10? Which trains would I happen to ride, the Silver Star, the Carolinan? Thank you all again, I'm going to be stationed in Charleston, and I would like to take the train back to see the family in Jersey.
 #915830  by morris&essex4ever

Ryand-Smith wrote:Hey all, I have a few questions about Amtrak travel from Charleston to New York/New Jersey. Are there any Amtrak trains that go from Charleston to Newark Airport station, or would I have to stop to Trenton and take a local train, and how long is the average travel time, 15 hours, 13, 10? Which trains would I happen to ride, the Silver Star, the Carolinan? Thank you all again, I'm going to be stationed in Charleston, and I would like to take the train back to see the family in Jersey.
IIRC, no long distance trains stop at Newark Airport. Only select Northeast Regional and Keystone trains do. You could take the Silver Meteor 98 or the Palmetto 90 directly to NY with a travel time of about 13:48. That is if you're going to NYC. The Palmetto is a daytime train while the Silver Meteor is a nighttime train.
 #915840  by gprimr1

New Jersey Transit has frequent service from Newark Airport to New York Penn Station that should help you.

The Palmetto is probably better if you want to see scenery on the way down.
 #915920  by mtuandrew

Here's a link to the current timetable for the Silver Service and Palmetto: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobServe ... ak_T04.pdf

Why Newark Airport, out of curiosity? All long-distance trains stop at Newark Penn Station, and that might be just as easy for your family to reach. If you need the airport, I'd rather go all the way to NWK and then catch a New Jersey Transit train back the few miles to EWR. Otherwise, Newark Penn is also a good place to access all the NJT rail lines, directly or by transferring to Newark Broad, Secaucus or Hoboken.
 #915968  by HBLR

mtuandrew wrote:Here's a link to the current timetable for the Silver Service and Palmetto: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobServe ... ak_T04.pdf

Why Newark Airport, out of curiosity? All long-distance trains stop at Newark Penn Station, and that might be just as easy for your family to reach. If you need the airport, I'd rather go all the way to NWK and then catch a New Jersey Transit train back the few miles to EWR. Otherwise, Newark Penn is also a good place to access all the NJT rail lines, directly or by transferring to Newark Broad, Secaucus or Hoboken.
The time between newark penn and the airport rail link station is about 5-7 minutes depending on how they are routing the trains. Just a heads up, in NJ all of those longer distance trains that come in from the deep south from diesel territory are typically discharge only, and there are a few trains that terminate at newark penn for whatever reason.
 #916010  by morris&essex4ever

HBLR wrote:The time between newark penn and the airport rail link station is about 5-7 minutes depending on how they are routing the trains. Just a heads up, in NJ all of those longer distance trains that come in from the deep south from diesel territory are typically discharge only, and there are a few trains that terminate at newark penn for whatever reason.
The only trains that terminate at Newark Penn are all but one of NJ Transit's RVL trains. All Amtrak trains continue to NYC.
 #916045  by Ryand-Smith

mtuandrew wrote:Here's a link to the current timetable for the Silver Service and Palmetto: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobServe ... ak_T04.pdf

The hotels at the airport are for my intended reservation time,(I am not sure if I will either visit the family at Christmas, or November, it all depends on when A School ends)
cheaper than the ones at Newark, since I want to stay in state so I can visit family, then go to the city to see plays. Also, the upgrade to business class seems cheap enough, but does the standard seat have a power outlet? How is the food service on the Silver Meteor, since it looks like the Palmetto has no food service besides some sandwiches, which I may not like on that 13 hour trip!

I would rather take the train because flying from South Carolina to LGA would be.. painful for me to have to go from LaGuardia to New Jersey without a car, and I will not drive that distance.
 #916138  by mtuandrew

Ryand-Smith wrote:The hotels at the airport are for my intended reservation time,(I am not sure if I will either visit the family at Christmas, or November, it all depends on when A School ends)
cheaper than the ones at Newark, since I want to stay in state so I can visit family, then go to the city to see plays. Also, the upgrade to business class seems cheap enough, but does the standard seat have a power outlet? How is the food service on the Silver Meteor, since it looks like the Palmetto has no food service besides some sandwiches, which I may not like on that 13 hour trip!

I would rather take the train because flying from South Carolina to LGA would be.. painful for me to have to go from LaGuardia to New Jersey without a car, and I will not drive that distance.
I entirely understand your reluctance to fly to LGA. :D Even if you had someone waiting with a car, it's a miserable airport, and the public transit situation is ridiculous at best. I've flown to LaGuardia and had to drag a suitcase on the bus, the subway, and the train to New Jersey, so I understand.

I can't answer your question on outlets, since it's been some time since I've ridden on an Amfleet. Other posters have reported that 110 VAC is available at every seat pair of most cars, and that conductors may be able to find you a seat in a car with AC power at every seat. However, it's a good idea to bring a small power strip or splitter.

For food service, the Palmetto only has a cafe car, and the food there is about on par with stadium food in price and quality. The Silver Meteor has a full dining car as well as the cafe, and prepares hot meals that range from Denny's to Applebee's quality and price. Amtrak doesn't discourage people from bringing on their own food, but they don't have preparation facilities, so I'd recommend buying a meal or two and packing a meal or two.

As for the hotel, maybe they'd be willing to pick you up at Newark Penn. The cheapest way is to transfer at Trenton to NJ Transit, but it would be fastest to take Amtrak to Newark Penn and backtrack. If you do that, a cab to the hotel from NWK might be cheaper and more convenient than the NJ Transit + AirTrain ride.
 #916178  by srock1028

morris&essex4ever wrote:
HBLR wrote:The time between newark penn and the airport rail link station is about 5-7 minutes depending on how they are routing the trains. Just a heads up, in NJ all of those longer distance trains that come in from the deep south from diesel territory are typically discharge only, and there are a few trains that terminate at newark penn for whatever reason.
The only trains that terminate at Newark Penn are all but one of NJ Transit's RVL trains. All Amtrak trains continue to NYC.
M&E you beat me to it. HBLR check your facts before posting information here. Amtrak has no trains terminating at Newark Penn Station, everything continues on to New York Penn Station, Boston or Springfield.
 #916399  by hi55us

mtuandrew wrote:
I can't answer your question on outlets, since it's been some time since I've ridden on an Amfleet. Other posters have reported that 110 VAC is available at every seat pair of most cars, and that conductors may be able to find you a seat in a car with AC power at every seat. However, it's a good idea to bring a small power strip or splitter.
I would be hard pressed to find a single level amfleet car without power outlets.

I would go for the business class upgrade on the Palmetto because the train operates with a half business/half cafe car which has 2-1 leather seats that are without doubt the most comfortable seats on the system.

As far as cafe food goes, it's manageable for a meal or two, a little bit pricy, pizza ~$5, soda $1.75, burger ~$4, hotdog ~$3, beer ~$4, really good coffee :)
 #917447  by mrsam

Ryand-Smith wrote:I would rather take the train because flying from South Carolina to LGA would be.. painful for me to have to go from LaGuardia to New Jersey without a car, and I will not drive that distance.
Actually, NYC taxicabs have a tariffed rate to Newark Airport.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passen ... rate.shtml
For a trip to Newark Airport the fare is: the amount shown on the taximeter using Rate Code 3 which includes a surcharge of $15.00; and all necessary tolls to and from the destination shall be paid by the passenger.
Get a cabby to take you from LGA to Newark airport, then grab the free monorail to the hotel.
 #917474  by mtuandrew

mrsam wrote:
Ryand-Smith wrote:I would rather take the train because flying from South Carolina to LGA would be.. painful for me to have to go from LaGuardia to New Jersey without a car, and I will not drive that distance.
Actually, NYC taxicabs have a tariffed rate to Newark Airport.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passen ... rate.shtml
For a trip to Newark Airport the fare is: the amount shown on the taximeter using Rate Code 3 which includes a surcharge of $15.00; and all necessary tolls to and from the destination shall be paid by the passenger.
Get a cabby to take you from LGA to Newark airport, then grab the free monorail to the hotel.
...a cab from LGA to Newark Airport? That would be absurdly expensive. $15 surcharge + 23.1 miles at $2.00 a mile, with a returning toll of $6 through the Holland Tunnel, and even without any traffic delays you're sitting at $58.40. You'd have to save a LOT of money on airfare for that to be reasonable.

A trip from LGA to New York Penn by taxi, thence to EWR by New Jersey Transit, would be more reasonable according to that site. Still, I'm not in the business of advocating air travel over trains, and I still think LGA is a miserable excuse for an international airport, so I'd say go by Amtrak :wink:
 #917483  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Stephens, if we are really looking to play "Cheap Charlie" foregoing any kind of passenger convenience, there is an NYMTA bus from KLGA to the Subway system that can, of course, get a rider to anywhere within the five Boroughs.

In short, there is a mass transit route between KLGA and KEWR; the fare is quite predictable, but let us not go there for travel times. In short, a Laguardia Newark Liberty mass transit transfer is for those who "fare beat" Amtrak along the Corridor using either commuter agencies or, worse, the various loosely regulated motor bus operators.
 #917485  by Amtrak7

Take it to Newark Airport and take an NJT bus. (GO28, or 62 if you need late nights) Bus fare is $1.50.

LGA-NWK is hard for a person not familiar with NYC-area mass transit, I would never recommend it (M60 to the N to the 1 to NJT to AirTrain).
 #917492  by mtuandrew

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Stephens, if we are really looking to play "Cheap Charlie" foregoing any kind of passenger convenience, there is an NYMTA bus from KLGA to the Subway system that can, of course, get a rider to anywhere within the five Boroughs.

In short, there is a mass transit route between KLGA and KEWR; the fare is quite predictable, but let us not go there for travel times. In short, a Laguardia Newark Liberty mass transit transfer is for those who "fare beat" Amtrak along the Corridor using either commuter agencies or, worse, the various loosely regulated motor bus operators.
Amtrak7 wrote:LGA-NWK is hard for a person not familiar with NYC-area mass transit, I would never recommend it (M60 to the N to the 1 to NJT to AirTrain).
I've done that transfer a few different ways (M60 bus to the N/Q to PATH at 33rd St. to NJT at Newark) (M60 bus to the N/Q, then hike from Herald Square to NJT at NY Penn) (Q33 bus to the E to NJT at NY Penn). The Q33 - E connection is the fastest, but all of them are miserable. I'm cheap, but if I ever fly into LaGuardia again (which I plan to avoid) I'm biting the bullet and taking a cab to Jamaica or Manhattan.

As for Mr. Smith, my recommendation for the Silver Meteor + NJ Transit still stands. :grin: If he doesn't want to spend so much time on the train, I've also been pleasantly surprised with the Philadelphia airport and its connection to Amtrak at 30th Street Station.