Railroad Forums 

• Resurrected routes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#844947  by NRGeep

Yes, at it's inception Amtrak eliminated many routes from the RR's in which it inherited passenger service. How many routes that had been eliminated were returned to service when Amtrak took over? I do believe the 'Montrealer'/'Washingtonian' (now 'Vermonter') was one that was brought back from the dead. Any more?
 #844958  by gprimr1

Perhaps someone who is older and wiser than I can comment if the new Lynchburg service ever ran before Amtrak. Seems like it would have.
 #844971  by mtuandrew

I make no claim to be older or wiser than anyone else here. Just the same, among others, these lines were resurrected (though some were canceled again):
-the Lake Shore Limited (twice!)
-the North Coast Hiawatha (Afternoon Hiawatha CHI-MSP + North Coast Limited MSP-SEA, canceled in 1979)
-the Hilltopper
-the Shenandoah
-the Sunset Limited eastern expansion (now abandoned in fact if not name) and the Gulf Breeze (NOL-Mobile only)
-the Downeaster
-the Lake Country Limited (only lasted a short time in the 1990s)
-the Arrowhead
-the California Zephyr, sort of (it was rerouted for a time through Cheyenne on the Union Pacific)
-the Black Hawk (again being studied hard by the state of Illinois)
-the Cape Codder

Lynchburg service has continued all the way from early Southern RR days in the form of the (Southern) Crescent, though not necessarily local service as the current Regional provides. If/when the Commonwealth funds a Roanoke extension, that would be renewed service on the route of the Hilltopper.
 #844986  by spacecadet

mtuandrew wrote:-the California Zephyr, sort of (it was rerouted for a time through Cheyenne on the Union Pacific)
I don't remember exactly when this was, but is this why they called it the San Francisco Zephyr for a while? I remember riding it under that name.
 #844996  by westr

There is a list in the back of the book Journey to Amtrak that lists every passenger train that was still operating when Amtrak took over and which ones Amtrak took over. Off the top of my head, I know the Portland section of the Empire Builder was initally discontinued. The late Pioneer and Desert Wind weren't among Amtrak's original runs either.
spacecadet wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:-the California Zephyr, sort of (it was rerouted for a time through Cheyenne on the Union Pacific)
I don't remember exactly when this was, but is this why they called it the San Francisco Zephyr for a while? I remember riding it under that name.
Denver & Rio Grande Western didn't join Amtrak in 1971, leaving Amtrak to use the Union Pacific route between Denver and Ogden via Cheyenne for the Chicago-San Francisco service. It also operated over the Southern Pacific from Ogden to Oakland, since Western Pacific had already discontinued all passenger service and thus had no reason to join Amtrak. Amtrak called the train the San Francisco Zephyr, combining the Zephyr (CB&Q) and City of San Francisco (UP-SP-MILW) train names, I think because Rio Grande and WP still had rights to the California Zephyr name. Rio Grande joined Amtrak in 1983, the same year WP was taken over by Amtrak-member UP, making the California Zephyr name and original route available.
 #845016  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is a resurrection of sorts.

As I noted at another topic, here is a chance to get some rare mileage added to your mileage books (listening up, Mr. Guenzler?). It has been reported here that, owing to trackwork on the GM&O (existing Amtrak route) Springfield St Louis, the Eagle will be rerouted CHI-STL over the C&EI (UP nowadays) route of the Meadowlark. This means the Eagle will leave CUS, switch to the C&WI just as does the NS/METRA Orland Park trains and the Cardinal, pass over the Illinois Tollway on a bridge that still bears C&EI markings, to Woodland Jct. through Villa Grove and Pana then to St Louis over NYC (CSX) trackage rights. You will have to book to a point South of St Louis as local passengers are being handled by AmBus.

http://www.trainweb.org/screamingeagle/ ... ub_map.gif

Lincoln Service trains are being handled by AmBus SPI-STL for a period according to the website Sep 1-Sep 8, inclusive. However there are reports that the service suspension could for a longer duration.

Finally, here's more on the C&EI and the Van Sweringen interests in this small, yet highly strategic, road.
 #845055  by Vincent

The Seattle to Vancouver BC train didn't make the initial May 1, 1971 Amtrak timetable, but it was restored a few years later and then discontinued again and later revived again.
 #845063  by TomNelligan

I guess I'm the only person who read the original question as "how many routes not operating on April 30, 1971 did Amtrak restore at its startup on May 1, 1971?" The answer, of course, is none, except for some minor terminal reroutings. All of the intercity route restorations came later.

The Montrealer (restored fall 1972) was unusual in that it represented a route that was not operating on 4/30/71, rather than a route that was operating that day but later restored. The B&M/CV trains to Montreal had been discontinued five years earlier.
 #845070  by Station Aficionado

SOU was running an unnamed WAS-Lynchburg local on A-day. which continued on account of SOU opting out of Amtrak. That train was discontinued before SOU eventually joined Amtrak. I don't think Amtrak's new Lynchburg train really counts as a resurrected route, given that the Crescent (either under SOU or under Amtrak) has continually plied the WAS-Lynchburg rails.
 #845094  by Noel Weaver

Here's another, Buffalo - Niagara Falls, NY service was discontinued by the New York Central way back in the 60's.
Here's one more, Rutland, Vermont lost its passenger service in June, 1953 due to a strike on the Rutland. The present
route, however, had not had any regular passenger service for many years before that.
Amherst, Mass on the NEC did not have passenger service after about 1946 until the Montrealer and later Vermonter were
routed over the CV/NEC back in the late 80's. This might not last too much longer but it is in effect today.
Noel Weaver
 #845164  by StLouSteve

Regarding Buffalo to Niagara Falls---I seem to remember catching a TH&B RDC car at Buffalo for Toronto after getting off a PC Empire Service train in pre Amtrak days.

Also the Lake Shore deserves a special mention because restoring the route involving Amtrak actually putting back in the Post Road trackage from Rennselear to the B&A mainline. (Before that, they had to back up and use the Caselton Bridge near Selkirk).
 #845173  by TomNelligan

StLouSteve wrote:Regarding Buffalo to Niagara Falls---I seem to remember catching a TH&B RDC car at Buffalo for Toronto after getting off a PC Empire Service train in pre Amtrak days.
It didn't run via Niagara Falls, though -- it crossed the river/border into Fort Erie.
 #845176  by Rockingham Racer

westr wrote: Denver & Rio Grande Western didn't join Amtrak in 1971...
It had to be later than that; Amtrak came into being on May 1, 1971.
 #845218  by CNJ

The Adirondack was also a restored Amtrak route.

As was the Arrowhead *(Minneapolis to Superior/Duluth) and the Blackhawk (Chicago to Dubuque).