Railroad Forums 

• Great Intermediate City Stations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#726447  by LI Loco

We've discussed the best big city stations and the most disappointment stations. What about the stops along the way. Please post your recommendations of worthwhile Amtrak stations - either new construction or well-maintained (restored) older facilities - that are worth checking out.

Here are some of my favorites:

Poughkeepsie, NY
Hudson, NY
Saratoga Springs, NY
Utica, NY
Rome, NY
New Haven, CT
Greensboro, NC
Salisbury, NC
Glenwood Springs, CO
Fullerton, CA
Santa Ana, CA
Santa Barbara, CA
 #726455  by neroden

Syracuse, NY -- it ain't beautiful, and it doesn't have enough parking, but it's a comfortable, fully enclosed waiting room in good condition and a fully accessible high-level platform. And it's linked into the city and long-distance bus system. It feels like a modern train station, which is more than I can say for the "Giant Amshack" in Minneapolis/St Paul.
 #726461  by LI Loco

Been to Syracuse. It leaves me cold, but it is a vast improvement over the station NY Central put up in the 1960s next to DeWitt Yard when they abandoned the beautiful art deco station on Erie Blvd. and sold the old passenger main to become what is now I-695.
 #726479  by AgentSkelly

1) Rome, NY - Its a great restoration of a vintage NYCRR station with all the modern upgrades. I think a QuickTrak machine should be installed there. I always liked it when my monthly trips to Toronto on the Maple Leaf from there.

2) Syracuse, NY - I never took a trip out of the old Syracuse station, but I do like the current facility which has connections for all Amtrak services plus intercity bus and CENTRO service. Parking is cheap too.

3) Poughkeepsie, NY. Its again another vintage station, but its been rehabbed I think 3 times and still pretty functional.

4) Everett, WA - Beautiful new facility thats mixed-use; I think this is the way new stations should be built.

5) Saratoga Springs, NY. They rehabbed the place in 2004 and I think its just fitting for the Adirondack and the Ethan Allen.
 #726497  by Noel Weaver

Rhinecliff, New York is a great historic old former New York Central station. It is as solid as they come. Last time I stopped
by there a few years ago it was not only clean but convenient to use. It is staffed too.
Noel Weaver
 #726551  by trainwreck

I haven't been to too many intermediate stations, but La Crosse, WI is a wonderful station. Redone to original splendor, has a spacious waiting room and clean restrooms.
 #726565  by Ridgefielder

I'll second Rhinecliff; had occasion to catch a train there a couple years ago. Nice, clean waiting room-- and a view over the Hudson from the station.

Also would put in a word for New London, CT-- waiting room was remodeled in the '80's, so there's not all that much "old railroad" atmosphere, but from an architectural standpoint it's probably the most significant station on the NE Corridor.
 #726573  by LI Loco

from an architectural standpoint it's probably the most significant station on the NE Corridor
That's a tall order when you have a list of candidates that includes Boston South Station, New Haven, Newark, 30th St. Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore and Washington Union. Please elucidate on why it is considered so significant.
 #726574  by CSX Conductor

Old Saybrook Ct was modernized to be ADA compliant but still has an old station with the old track module in the ticket clerks work area. Also, good pizza right next door, the P&W working the area in the morning and Acelas can do 110MPH there.

How about Kingston RI? It was renovated years ago but I have never been inside.
 #726619  by nomis

Seconded ... Harrisburg, PA
 #726626  by mclement

I'm looking forward to the completion of Trenton, if it isn't already complete (I haven't been in the area since May). I would have put the old Trenton station on the list of worst stations, but from what I saw last time, the new station has the potential to be pretty good.