Railroad Forums 

• Indianapolis to Cincinnati

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#726408  by Station Aficionado

Last month, I posted a topic dealing with the lack of a viable passenger route between Chicago and Indianapolis. I’d like to follow-up with a discussion of service between Indianapolis and Cincinnati. (And that will be end of what I have to about this route.)

The current route of the Cardinal is the former B&O route through Connersville and Hamilton. This route is now owned by CSX. It has several significant drawbacks as a passenger route. It is not particularly direct—it ambles generally eastward from Indianapolis to Connersville, twists through the hills east of there, turns southeast near Cottage Grove, IN, and finally heads in the actual direction of Cincinnati when it reaches Hamilton. As a result of topography and traffic congestion, it is not a fast route (WB: 3:44; EB: 3:18; 123 mi.). It is particularly subject to congestion in the area south of Hamilton, including the approach to Cincinnati Union Terminal (CUT) through Queensgate Yard (where the yard limits should probably be marked “Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here”). There is virtually no intermediate traffic. The only station currently between Indy and Cincy is Connersville, which produced only 647 riders (boardings + alightings) in FY 2008. The former station at Hamilton was closed, if I remember correctly, because the station neighborhood was too unsafe for passengers during the late night hours when the Cardinal called. There was some noise a few years back of establishing a station at Oxford, OH (home of Miami University), but nothing ever came of it. Notably, B&O had not offered Indy-Cincy service on the route for many years prior to Amtrak.

The only alternative is the ex-NYC/Big Four route through Shelbyville and Batesville (the former James Whitcomb Riley-route—bonus points to anyone who can name even one of his poems). This route is certainly a bit more direct (109 mi.), and lacks the topographic challenges on the B&O route. Back in Jan. 1955, the Riley was carded for a mere 2:00 on the route. It is owned by CSX from Indy to Shelbyville, but is in the hands of shortline Central Railroad of Indiana (CIND) beyond that point. The CIND portion is presently unsuited for passenger service. When Honda decided to build an assembly plant on the route, CIND promised to upgrade it to FRA Class II standards (max. passenger speed of 30 mph). It would take an enormous investment (which doesn't appear imminent) to turn this route into an acceptable (at least 60 mph) passenger route. And, if the Cardinal were to use the route, back-up moves would be required to access or depart CUT (the Riley terminated at CUT in pre-Amtrak days).

A side-note on the Cincy station situation. CUT is a magnificent building, but is no longer suited for use as a significant passenger terminal. The concourse was demolished in the ‘70’s, and only one track—also used by freight trains—is usable for passenger trains. Also, congestion there and in the sprawling Queensgate complex is not likely to abate any time soon. Ohio DOT has proposed a new station in the “Boathouse” area east of downtown for the 3-C service, but the Cardinal could not use this station (no access to the Ohio River crossing), and it appears that there is strong local opposition to the proposed station in any event.

Running the Cardinal west of Cincinnati appears a questionable use of Amtrak’s resources. Relatively few people are served, and the route is slow and indirect (and not likely to improve in the near future). As noted previously, Indiana has not been especially supportive of intercity service. While Ohio is moving toward supporting such service, their interest is in the 3-C corridor, not the Cardinal. I’ll repeat an idea from an earlier topic on the Cardinal: it could be a daily train to Charleston or Huntington, aimed at connecting West Virginia (where there is strong political support for the train) to Washington and New York. Such a train could be extended to Cincinnati, but I think the main path of future Cincinnati service is toward Columbus and Cleveland (and possibly Columbus and Pittsburgh), not toward Washington via West Virginia.
 #726438  by LI Loco

I'd support converting the Cardinal service into a New York-Washington-Charleston-Cincinnati train with one caveat. I'd flip the schedule so it runs overnight between Washington and West Virginia. Granted this would mean the train would pass through the New River Gorge at night. However, it would provide better calling times at the principal stations, especially Cincinnati. With decent timekeeping and some schedule tinkering it might be possible to turn the train at Cincinnati within a 2-3 hour window, meaning the principal servicing would be done at Sunnyside yard.

At the same time, I believe Cincinnati-Indianapolis-Chicago could, once again, be a good intercity passenger route because of the population served and geography covered. However, it would require massive investment. I believe this is one of the routes covered in the Midwest High-Speed Rail plan but it is a secondary priority after Chicago-St. Louis, Chicago-Detroit and Chicago-Minneapolis.
 #726456  by justalurker66

If you think Indy to Cincy is a bad route look at Chicago to Indy. Improvements are needed in both directions from Indianapolis.

(BTW: I can't name any Riley poems off the top of my head, but I have visited his grave.)