Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak "wrong track" running

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#726293  by amtrakhogger

There is no "wrong" track running here. The Hell Gate Line (NYS) is signaled in both directions.
 #726314  by hi55us

lots of segments on the hell gate line are single tracked. Seems like the train is always delayed on this busy section of track.
 #726385  by RedSoxSuck

hi55us wrote:lots of segments on the hell gate line are single tracked. Seems like the train is always delayed on this busy section of track.

Not true. The entire line is double tracked from Harold to CP 216. Track 1 is currently out of service for wire work from Gate to either Pelham Bay or Manor (I don't know which at the moment). Also, westbound trains are often run on track 2 west of gate in order to effectively "jump over" Lines 2 and 4. This allows a westbound LIRR train to use Line 4 while, at the same time, an Amtrak train runs down track 2 to Harold, then to the "LI Freight" (odd name for a track that carries only passenger trains) track to the Line 2 Connection to Line 2.
 #726441  by neroden

RedSoxSuck wrote:Track 1 is currently out of service for wire work from Gate to either Pelham Bay or Manor (I don't know which at the moment). Also, westbound trains are often run on track 2 west of gate in order to effectively "jump over" Lines 2 and 4. This allows a westbound LIRR train to use Line 4 while, at the same time, an Amtrak train runs down track 2 to Harold, then to the "LI Freight" (odd name for a track that carries only passenger trains) track to the Line 2 Connection to Line 2.
I can never follow descriptions like this. Does anyone have a track diagram of the NYC-area tracks? The numbering means nothing to me (the area railroads had pretty funny methods of track numbering, not like the simple left-to-right 1/2/3/4/5/6... numbering I see in the UK), I don't know where the flyovers and crossovers are, etc.
 #726577  by CSX Conductor

The Hell-Gate is single-track now using only Track 2 between Gate & Manor because they have to re-do the new wire that was installed on Track 1. Supposedly Track 1 will be out of service for at least 6 to 7 more months.

As for where this train was heading west that isn't directly due to the single tracking but because like "Red Sox Rock" said they can go over LIRR moves as opposed to getting stuck at Harold. Also, by doing this you can do track speed off the Hell-Gate whereas if you were lined to cross back to 1 @ Gate you'd have an Approach Limited at the Distant Signal to Gate and have to do 45mph from there all the way down.

Neroden, unfortunately nowadays there are too many people getting in trouble for posting employee info such as track charts, otherwise I would have. :(
 #726604  by DutchRailnut

To view actual track, use bing maps and birdeye view.
 #726618  by BuddSilverliner269

The Hell Gate line is not single track at any point along the line. Its true that sections of track are out of service due to an ongoing catenary project, but the railroad is double track period.Single tracking does take place daily but its not a single track railroad.
 #726644  by LI Loco

Several years ago, I was aboard an NHRS excursion returning to Long Island from Connecticut. We took the eastbound main just before the bridge and while crossing Hell Gate we were passed by a faster-moving Amtrak train on the westbound main. I wonder how many times one passenger train passed another on Hell Gate.