Railroad Forums 

• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1422401  by ExCon90

The most likely assumption would be that the new station will have high-level platforms, the construction of which would require taking one track at a time out of service to enable the work to be done, with trains operating in both directions on the other track. This in turn would require tweaking the schedules so that no trains are scheduled to meet anywhere between the two interlockings on either side.
 #1422574  by Suburban Station

ExCon90 wrote:The most likely assumption would be that the new station will have high-level platforms, the construction of which would require taking one track at a time out of service to enable the work to be done, with trains operating in both directions on the other track. This in turn would require tweaking the schedules so that no trains are scheduled to meet anywhere between the two interlockings on either side.
The station is in a cut so there is limited space to work on the new platforms
 #1422594  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

twropr wrote:Why would construction of the new station at Mt Joy require a temporary schedule change?
Andy
While the crews are working at Mt.Joy one track will be taken out of service between Cork & Rheems. I believe it will be #2 that is being taken out, but I'm not 100% sure. By adjusting some train times it will reduce the amount of time trains are delayed for meets due to the single tracking.

Also, this is not a continuous track outage. The track will only be out during specific hours M-F. (Probably 0700-1500 or 0800-1600 hours)
 #1428542  by R36 Combine Coach

zebrasepta wrote:Paoli station is gonna finally be ADA compliant soon
The March 2017 Amtrak Accessibility Update has a sample rendering of the new Paoli Station. In the press photo of the officials at groundbreaking, note Silverliner Vs 738 and 882 (which hints this photo shot was deliberately staged with the "newest" of the Silverliners present).
 #1465474  by ChesterValley

I have a question regarding the Paoli Line. As previous posters have mention and noticed, the four track main line has been cut down to 2 at Paoli. Meanwhile SEPTA has expanded operations at Frazer yards in anticipation for all the 45 new Bi-level coaches that will come in with an additional 7 locomotives. Will the bottleneck at Paoli create issues for dispatching or hows that all going to work out?
 #1465645  by silverliner266

The mainline has been cut to 2 tracks after Paoli for a while now. The only difference is now it happens right before the station not after. This makes sense because Amtrak trains needed to be on 1 or 4 to make the station stop anyway. I don't see there being a major dispatching issue with the new sets since they will be on the road during peak hours, moving into and out of the yard during off-peak hours.
 #1465962  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

ChesterValley wrote:I have a question regarding the Paoli Line. As previous posters have mention and noticed, the four track main line has been cut down to 2 at Paoli. Meanwhile SEPTA has expanded operations at Frazer yards in anticipation for all the 45 new Bi-level coaches that will come in with an additional 7 locomotives. Will the bottleneck at Paoli create issues for dispatching or hows that all going to work out?
Tracks 2 & 3 were removed because Paoli will have a center high level platform serving tracks 1 & 4, built where tracks 2&3 were.
 #1466453  by ChesterValley

bdawe wrote:Would they have had to fix the signalling?
From what I've seen, they no longer have the dwarf signals up on the Bridge. Now they have two Amtrak style lights one in and one outbound mounted on the sides of the track at Paoli
 #1479364  by daybeers

Has anyone ridden the line recently? How's the ride? I've been on most of the NEC dozens of times, but never on this branch. I keep trying to find an excuse to :-D
 #1479433  by jonnhrr

Removing tracks 2 and 3 isn't much of a loss because everything has to stop at Paoli anyway.

The center tracks only made sense back in the days when there were still many freights still using the Main Line. Once Conrail rerouted everything to the Lehigh Line they were no longer needed.

Jon