Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1534222  by jhdeasy

Tadman wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:48 pm C&O heavyweight "Chapel Hill" and another lightweight PV for L&N are parked at Miami/Hialeah, are these normal here or leftovers from the Superbowl?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0QSOYYE ... KkSdZcCcLg
Tadman:

These two cars have long term storage contracts with Amtrak; they are stored at MIA.

The car painted in L&N colors and lettered OLIVER HAZARD PERRY was originally CNR sleeper MOUNT RESPLENDENT, built by Pullman in 1954 for the Super Continental.

MOUNT VERNON was the only PV that took guests to Super Bowl LIV. I’m not aware if CSX or FEC brought any business cars to Miami to entertain anyone for the event.
 #1534227  by Tadman

Thanks, Mr. D. They are both great looking cars, especially the C&O car. I grew up along the former PM across the lake from Chicago and counted a former Chessie big shot as a neighbor and friend, so it's good to see a few C&O cars in good shape.
 #1534885  by jhdeasy

Nine former RBBX cars acquired by N.C. DOT for expansion of passenger service have been “discovered” stored on an abandoned rail line in the woods near Spring Hope NC.

Discovered? I could imagine Gomer Pyle saying “surprise, surprise!”

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news-ar ... -1DTO0dTXw
 #1534891  by Pensyfan19

jhdeasy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:56 pm Nine former RBBX cars acquired by N.C. DOT for expansion of passenger service have been “discovered” stored on an abandoned rail line in the woods near Spring Hope NC
What kind of expansion??? :-D Where is service being expanded to??? 8D
 #1535021  by WhartonAndNorthern

Pensyfan19 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:10 pm
jhdeasy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:56 pm Nine former RBBX cars acquired by N.C. DOT for expansion of passenger service have been “discovered” stored on an abandoned rail line in the woods near Spring Hope NC
What kind of expansion??? :-D Where is service being expanded to??? 8D
The end goal was additional trains between Raleigh and Charlotte and eventual extension (NC's eventual goal is to link the state). NC had been buying up vintage equipment made by St. Louis Car to operate the Piedmont fleet. This was an opportunity to buy additional mechanically-compatible equipment or at least a source of spare parts. Then they got an FRA grant for new equipment and no one seems to be quite sure what will happen.
 #1537455  by jhdeasy

Some approved PV trips that have now been cancelled:

DOVER HARBOR: WAS - NYP - PGH - NYP - WAS.
HOLLYWOOD BEACH: STL - CHI - NOL - CHI - STL.
MOONLIGHT DOME + BIRCH GROVE: STL to CHI.
SWIFT STREAM: NYP - NOL - NYP
Last edited by jhdeasy on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1537473  by jhdeasy

JimBoylan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:56 am I don't know when Dover Harbor was supposed to move between New York and Pittsburg, but the Pennsylvanian train on that route has also been cancelled.
When Amtrak suspended the Pennsylvanian, that segment of the trip collapsed, and thus there was no need for the pre/post Pennsylvanian positioning moves between Washington and New York.

I’ve already turned away two charter inquiries for MOUNT VERNON. I don’t see us operating the car until the current public health situation improves.
 #1538673  by liftedjeep

SouthernRailway wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:26 pm There is a Penn Central coach or something in Penn Station, as your train exits to the west/New Jersey, on the north side. Rough condition but you can see the PC logos at both ends. It might be a MOW car.
Not the greatest shot, as I took it while on a Keystone Service to NY Penn. But is this the coach you are referring to? This is a former Penn Central coach, now utilized by Amtrak for MoW services:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5001202

Ben
 #1538691  by liftedjeep

liftedjeep wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:09 pm
SouthernRailway wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:26 pm There is a Penn Central coach or something in Penn Station, as your train exits to the west/New Jersey, on the north side. Rough condition but you can see the PC logos at both ends. It might be a MOW car.
Not the greatest shot, as I took it while on a Keystone Service to NY Penn. But is this the coach you are referring to? This is a former Penn Central coach, now utilized by Amtrak for MoW services:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5001202

Ben
The coach in my photo does in fact still retain the "PC Worm Logo" on either ends, albeit very faded. I can't say for certain how many ex Penn Central coaches Amtrak has rolling around, but I have a hunch that what you saw in Penn Station was in fact the same coach pictured.

Ben