Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1507907  by ExCon90

I'm wondering whether there are some legal aspects to any disposal by Amtrak at scrap prices when there is a higher market price--and in a case like this how would you determine the market price without an auction? You can go to Danbury for doing things like that, except that in this case there would seem to be no element of personal gain by an individual, just an inclination to take the easy way out.
 #1507939  by Tadman

ExCon90 wrote:I'm wondering whether there are some legal aspects to any disposal by Amtrak at scrap prices when there is a higher market price--and in a case like this how would you determine the market price without an auction?
I think the best way to do this is back into it. Given the weight of the car and the going price of scrap, perhaps using the 52 week high, one could figure the scrap value. Then, open an RFP for environmental remediation, if any is required. Take the calculated scrap price, subtract the remediation price, and arrive at X. Post it for sale on Amtrak's website, or maybe some government liquidation site, for $X+1. If there are no takers within a set period of time such as 90 days, that means the better deal to the railroad is scrap.

As of right now, scrap steel is about $.05/lb. The full dome weighs something like 185,000lbs. That means scrap price is $9250 if there is no remediation costs and it's all steel, which it is not. The glass is a big part of the weight. Rough passenger cars trade for $20-50k, and good ones trade upwards of $300k.
 #1508012  by John_Perkowski

ExCon90 wrote:So, based on the above example there might be some takers. What might be the consequences to Amtrak's management if the car were scrapped instead of being offered for sale?
None whatsoever.
 #1508053  by R36 Combine Coach

Tadman wrote:As of right now, scrap steel is about $.05/lb. The full dome weighs something like 185,000lbs. That means scrap price is $9250 if there is no remediation costs and it's all steel, which it is not. The glass is a big part of the weight. Rough passenger cars trade for $20-50k, and good ones trade upwards of $300k.
Is there an industry guide or publication on the market values of locomotives and passenger cars, much like NADA, Blue Book and Old Cars Weekly Price Guide do for used autos and trucks?
 #1508119  by ExCon90

John_Perkowski wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:So, based on the above example there might be some takers. What might be the consequences to Amtrak's management if the car were scrapped instead of being offered for sale?
None whatsoever.
I was afraid of that--no disincentive to just scrap it and make the situation moot as quickly as possible.
 #1508268  by Tadman

John_Perkowski wrote:
None whatsoever.
I think if it were big enough situation, they could be fired for failure to follow government procurement guidelines. For example, the Gary police department is in hot water right now for failure to properly dispose of old police and fire vehicles that could generate revenue for the city. It’s not yet a court case, the Northwest Indiana Times uncovered it, but bad press is detrimental to re-election.

In Amtrak’s case, improperly disposing of an entire fleet might result in some trouble. That’s why they keep putting wreck Superliners up for sale, because that’s the proper procedure before scrapping. At the sale, the scrapper bids scrap value, then anybody who wants the cars for something more bids up from there. If the cars aren’t viable, the scrapper gets them for scrap value.

I still can’t figure out why Ocean Vieww isn’t even being listed for sale.
 #1508433  by jhdeasy

Amtrak has published a new Private Car Safety Manual.

Although it was drafted in consultation with AAPRCO and RPCA, and uses some existing language from both organizations’ own safety manuals, the final document departs from the draft versions and bears the mark of Amtrak’s Safety Office.

Riding on open observation platforms of private cars is prohibited on all Amtrak trains, be they regular or charter special trains, anywhere. The previous drafts allowed it at 79 MPH or below, with certain additional safety related provisions.

Chapter XI “Electronic Devices” refers to use of Family Radio Service radios, channel 14-4. AAPRCO used FRS channel 14-4 for intra-train communication on charter special trains. I’m not sure why this is included in this document, as I doubt any Amtrak conductor or engineer is actively monitoring FRS channel 14-4.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... 050719.pdf
 #1508729  by Train2009

Train2009 wrote:Private cars golden moon and imperial leaf went out today on train #42 after their yearly visit to Pittsburgh.
I caught those cars on Lake Shore Limited train #49 this past Monday afternoon at Philipse Manor Train Station on Metro North's Hudson Line.
 #1508736  by John_Perkowski

jhdeasy wrote:Amtrak has published a new Private Car Safety Manual.
Jack, Cross posted to the Streamliners Schedules and Pullman groups on Facebook.