Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1517519  by MEC407

There's video somewhere of that train coming to Maine and of people viewing it in Portland. I can't remember whether I saw it online or on VHS tape at someone's house.
 #1517543  by gokeefe

Rockingham Racer wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:25 am How's passenger count north of Portland? I ask, because I stumbled on a daylight video at the Freeport station, and there was no one on or off one of the trains.
Very good in Brunswick. Freeport has been less than hoped for.

I think Freeport met the official projections but there was reason to believe at the time it would get more ...
Last edited by gokeefe on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1517624  by swist

As I understand it Freeport is facing business problems in general due to the decline of shopping in brick-and-mortar stores.

And (this is my opinion) over the last 15 years Freeport has gone progressively more and more upscale. Despite tacking the word "outlet" onto every store, there are few bargains to be had these days, That might also indicate their current clientele would much rather take their Lexus and BMWs than be caught dead on public transportation.
 #1517652  by swist

Also, not to harp on the new siding project but trains between Freeport and Portland are losing anywhere from 15 minutes to a lot more, at least on runs 684,685. Didn't look at the others. When is this going to get back to full speed? This has been going on for a while. Perhaps they have hit a glitch?
 #1517676  by gokeefe

swist wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:13 am As I understand it Freeport is facing business problems in general due to the decline of shopping in brick-and-mortar stores.
Yes, there has definitely been a shift in occupancy. Significant increase in vacancy rates.

With regards to delays I simply don't know the situation. I would expect if it's related to the construction that it will get better soon. New track sometimes has an extended slow order period while it settles.
 #1517677  by gokeefe

swist wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:13 amAnd (this is my opinion) over the last 15 years Freeport has gone progressively more and more upscale. Despite tacking the word "outlet" onto every store, there are few bargains to be had these days, That might also indicate their current clientele would much rather take their Lexus and BMWs than be caught dead on public transportation.
This is not the problem. The crowd on the Downeaster often leans upscale anyways. If anything the train is probably helping to retain existing business.
 #1517691  by sicariis

Dick H wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:37 pm PAR to reconstruct two crossings in Exeter next week with some service disruptions.
Details here.

https://amtrakdowneaster.com/service-alerts
August 27 & 29

680, 685, 687, 688, 689 – Normal service.
683, 684, 686 - CANCELLED- No alternative service available
The Downeaster will operate regular service by Train DHM-DOV-WEM-SAO-ORB-POR-FRE-BRK ONLY.
No alternate service between the following stations: BON-WOB-HHL-EXR-DHM-DOV.
Passengers from BON travelling to WEM-SAO-ORB-POR-FRE-BRK will be transported by bus from BON to WEM and transfer to the Train in WEM for regular train service to stations north.
The Downeaster will operate a Train BRK-FRE-POR-ORB-SAO-WEM-DOV-DHM ONLY.
No service to/from these stations: EXR-HHL-WOB.
Passengers from BRK-FRE-POR-ORB-SAO-WEM travelling to BON will transfer to a bus in Wells for express service to Boston.
No service from DOV-DHM to EXR-HHL-WOB or BON
This is interesting. So 680 will pull a second train set so one can turn to be 685 and the other for 687? And 682 will turn at DHM (arrives at 9:24am) to become 681 (departs at 10:27am).
 #1517700  by pnolette

gokeefe wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:59 pm
swist wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:13 am As I understand it Freeport is facing business problems in general due to the decline of shopping in brick-and-mortar stores.
Yes, there has definitely been a shift in occupancy. Significant increase in vacancy rates.

With regards to delays I simply don't know the situation. I would expect if it's related to the construction that it will get better soon. New track sometimes has an extended slow order period while it settles.
Checked out the new siding construction today.Almost 2 years into this and still looks like they got months to go.Seems a bit slow..
 #1518317  by RenegadeMonster

What's up with the Downeaster this morning?

I saw a double draft parked in North Station this morning, and while walking through the station there was an announcement about the Portland train was going to be bussed.
 #1518319  by MEC407

Scroll up to the August 21 post by sicariis. Your question is answered there.
 #1518341  by markhb

Shoot... I slept in and totally forgot to get up to see the double-draft!

I did go to the NNEPRA board meeting in Brunswick yesterday, and while the Portland relocation project was only briefly mentioned during the presentation, I asked if the wye to Congress St. is completely off the table. They (mainly Patricia) replied that it is not, but that the previous administration (i.e., LePage and Burkhardt) weren't huge proponents of it.