Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1508973  by sicariis

Dick H wrote:Today was graduation at UNH in Durham. For a number of years, some parents
and others attending the ceremony would park in Dover and take the DE to
and from Durham to avoid the traffic and parking issues.

But several $1.00 increases on all tickets to/from New Hampshire stations over
the years has pushed the round trip fare to $18.00 per adult, which is $72.00 for
a party of four. That has resulted in relatively few doing the DE ride to the
commencement event. Also, I don't recall the exact timing, but the current
schedule does not generally fit the event schedule as well as back 10 years ago.
As someone who rides DHM-EXR semi-frequently, I've been pleasantly surprised lately with $4 saver availability for 3+ day advance reservations between DHM-EXR, and the same is also true for DHM-DOV.
 #1509289  by sicariis

693's new earlier BON departure of 11:20am (was 12:10pm) is unfortunate as I'm no longer able to connect from NER 150 as it arrives in BBY at 11:22am. Instead I'm going to try out buying a day pass available to business class passengers at the metropolitan lounge at BOS while waiting for 695. I'm curious to see if its just Acela, NER, and LSL business class or if Downeaster business class alone qualifies for a day pass even though its not a BOS train.
 #1509811  by sicariis

Plans changed and didn't have time to try my experiment at the lounge in BOS. I may have a chance next month though. First time using the new North station tunnel. Long overdue and saves considerable time platform to platform.
 #1509842  by gokeefe

NNEPRA Board Report for April 2019 is out. Pretty amazing stuff ... Best February ever in service history in 2019 and a strong March. As usual Boston sports teams probably helped a lot on that one.

I found some of the more granular detail to be unusually positive. Customer Satisfaction looks strong, on time performance, good, ridership to date is down slightly from last year but looking very strong considering disruptions in September and October. Revenues are up and on target or better.

A slew of capital projects are expected to be completed by the end of the summer construction season. Royal Siding, Pan Am Deferred maintenance, Pan Am's long term tie replacement, Pan Am's two year capital improvements plan and the Rockingham siding project in NH.

Quite the ticket to get punched ...

I also found it intriguing after so many years of delays due to commuter rail operations that Freight Train interference has now become a prominent source of delays. This was a comparatively uncommon occurrence in the past which is now routine.

Makes one wonder if all the improvements in MA have now shifted train conflicts onto the single track segment in NH.
 #1509858  by swist

One of the DE conductors said that the PAR dispatcher was routinely putting freights in the way, even though the DE was supposed to have priority. He seemed to infer it was a new dispatcher or dispatchers and not a new policy although it has happened to me so much (ride twice a week) that I wonder.
 #1509862  by Dick H

While PAR "freight interference" is up in District #2, "freight malfunction" has
been a major issue. PAR's clunker ex CSX GE's like to hiccup between Portland
and Plaistow, usually on the single track areas. Also, the permanent 10 MPH
speed restriction over the third street crossing in Dover can be a factor in
clearing for the DE's.
 #1510298  by FatNoah

I just caught the Downeaster passing through Wakefield due to the (Green Line construction, I assume) diversion. Any idea the effect the loss of Woburn as a stop is having on weekend ridership?

Kind of an annoying change. Our family tradition for Father's Day for the last several years has been a day trip to OOB. Since moving out of the city last year, catching the DE at Woburn has been a convenient option. Too bad they couldn't stop in Melrose or Wakefield to make up for it
 #1510303  by Trinnau

Haverhill isn't a bad option either on the weekend if Woburn isn't available. The drive time from Wakefield to Haverhill is probably comparable to the drive from Wakefield to Woburn plus the train ride to Haverhill - the train ride is 30 minutes alone. The train ticket may be slightly cheaper out of Haverhill too.

I'm sure that if Amtrak wanted to stop somewhere on the Haverhill Line during the re-route they could have. But they would only do so at an accessible station. That means it's either Reading or Melrose Highlands. Reading is actually pretty close to Woburn and would probably make the most sense.
 #1510438  by FatNoah

The drive time from Wakefield to Haverhill is probably comparable to the drive from Wakefield to Woburn
That may be true, but I live in Winchester and would have to basically drive by Anderson to get to Haverhill. Oh well, progress comes with a price.
 #1510454  by Cosakita18

I think this has been discussed before, but if the DE ever gets up to 7 daily roundtrips (once Wells double track is complete) would one run be with MBTA commuter rail equipment? Or would it be possible to have one DE trainset make 3 roundtrips a day??