• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Dick H

Reference the question on the Dover Station.
The original Dover station was located on Third Street, between Chestnut Street and Fourth Street, which at that time crossed the tracks before Central Avenue. The gate tender on Central Avenue controlled both the gates on Fourth Street and Central Avenue. I do not have the exact date, but in the early 1960's, the B&M proposed to single track the line through Dover and install automatic gates. There was a furor about eliminating the Central Avenue and Chestnut Street gate tenders concerning safety issues. The Chestnut/Third Street gates were controlled from a switch tower on the north side of the tracks, opposite St. Mary's church. At that time, Chestnut Street was dead end at the Cocheco River, two blocks south of the crossing. In the days of lots of mail and express (Railway Express Agency had a building just east of the station), the gates on Chestnut Street would be down for many minutes, many times a day. In order to sweeten the pot of the City to go along with single tracking and automatic protection, the B&M offered the station and adjacent land to the city for one whole dollar. The deal was sealed. For a time, the city considered converting the station into the police station and local district court. However, a City Councilor owned a bowling alley across third street, upstairs over a furniture store. He got the city to demolish the station for a parking lot. After a few years, he moved the bowling alley miles north on the outskirts of the city.

The B&M constructed a plain Jane one room cement block "station", about where the Downeaster station is located today. As was noted, this was what was known as the Second Street yard. The rail access to the yard was that line that was originally the line to Portsmouth. This still had several customers in Dover, as far as the Sawyer Mill on lower Central Ave. and some customers without rail access used the second street yard for their deliveries. Passenger service has ended to Portland and a single round trip using Budd RDCs continued until June 30th 1967. At that time, there were still many Dover area residents that worked at the B&M headquarters on Causeway St. in Boston and this train was primarily for them to get to/from Boston. After the end of passenger service, the B&M signal department used the station building. In 2000, Mr. Joseph Sawtelle, owner of the Mill complex in downtown Dover purchased the second street yard for use as a parking lot. He then leased the land for the Downeaster Station to the City for #1.00 per year for 20 years. It is my understating that the lease can be extended for another 20 years, when 2021 rolls around. In 3016, the City leased the entire lot from the current mill owners, which still have the use of 100 spaces, with the city now having metered parking in the rest of the lot. (Monday-Friday 9AM-7PM, 25 cents per hour. If you take the early trains, the meter is set up so as not to have to pay until 9:00AM.

The future: A bridge was constructed on Chestnut Street over the river in the mid-1970's, and is second only to the Central Ave/Main St. loop in traffic count. There is a project on the City books to construct a traffic circle at the junction of Chestnut and Third Streets, which will see the rail line running right through the middle of it. The Chestnut Street crossing currently has a permanent 10 MPH speed restriction and is supposed to be rebuilt at the same time. I have not see a firm date for this work. The City sold the third street parking lot for development, the loss of which is increasing the use to the train station lot. Although nothing is set in stone, there is consideration to constructing a parking garage on a portion of the lot. A proposal to install a bagel shop in the station, which would just about eliminated most of the transit passenger facilities. Thankfully, that went by the board. The City does plan to do some roofing and other external work during this construction season to the station.

This website on the Dover Station may be of interest.
https://www.dover.nh.gov/government/cit ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by dowlingm

I'm struck by the intention that if PTC is stuck with, that the second platform seems planned to be on the through track. A platform (high on the full length) on a stub track on the inside of the current platform would seem to me more convenient for passengers, not to mention any other movements on the trackage, assuming there is nothing sensitive about the land between the car park and the platform. But I guess the powers that be at NNEPRA, who going back to 2011 if not further have documents musing on an exit from PTC, feel that any further expenditure at PTC will result in them being "stuck" with that location forever (much as moving their headquarters from West Commercial St. to the station area might be seen to be giving up)
  by markhb

Cowford wrote:Deering Junction... 2.6 miles from I-95 and 3 miles from Monument Square... and Morrills Corner would turn into a complete cluster. I bet a creative designer could shoehorn in a facility where the Mercy Hospital parking lot currently resides... which would require garages built for both Mercy and a new station. You probably can't do anything with that wetland, but you should be able to extend parking on the other side of the Veteran's bridge (which looks useless for anything else). Disclaimer: I'm not advocating such a waste of money (and it would be in the tens of millions), but if parking (and the bus company) can both be accommodated, seems like it would have essentially equal access by drivers/equal distance to downtown, can be placed on tangent track, etc.
I live not far from Morrill's Corner, and I agree it's a cluster even with that land lying fallow... but you have to admit that it has ample land to do anything reasonable, plus opportunities for surrounding development. It just needs a way for the public to cross some of those industrial sidings on the Read St. end so all the traffic doesn't have to flow back through the corner.

So far as the Mercy Hospital site goes, I question how it works with Mercy intending to build another 100,000 sq. ft. of hospital down there to finish their move from State St. They're far enough along that they've applied for the Certificate of Need from the state.

I also just realized that the latest subdivision amendment for Thompson's Point got rid of the intended arena; go to https://egweb.portlandmaine.gov/energovprod/selfservice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and search for plan PL-000291-2018 to see the latest site plan. They still plan to build the garage but it looks like offices or something similar will be going where the arena would have been.

What I really want to know is, why did the wye come off the table?
  by jcpatten

At the Dover station there's a rail trail that goes over the ex-railroad bridge. The improved trail only goes a mile or so, and ends at a street. You can tell that the trail continues on, but through the woods. The paved trail is pretty neat, it goes through a cut and under a street, and I think they left one of the telltales behind.
  by gokeefe

markhb wrote:What I really want to know is, why did the wye come off the table?
Something to do with the County's plans for their property. Can't recall exactly. In the news I believe.
  by MERailFanJay

I'm currently on 695 waiting on the siding in Wells. We have to wait for a south bound that hit someone. They aren't sure how long we'll be waiting for. We waited at the Wells' station for about 20 mins before going north to move over for the southbound which has passed us. Now we are waiting for investigators to finish up I guess.
  by gokeefe

markhb wrote:So far as the Mercy Hospital site goes, I question how it works with Mercy intending to build another 100,000 sq. ft. of hospital down there to finish their move from State St. They're far enough along that they've applied for the Certificate of Need from the state.
Appreciate the update on the hospital. Wasn't aware that they still had expansion plans.
  by gokeefe

MERailFanJay wrote:I'm currently on 695 waiting on the siding in Wells. We have to wait for a south bound that hit someone.
Pedestrian strike in Biddeford. No further details that I've heard but that area has a history of trespasser fatalities.
  by markhb

gokeefe wrote:
markhb wrote:What I really want to know is, why did the wye come off the table?
Something to do with the County's plans for their property. Can't recall exactly. In the news I believe.
I'm not sure about the County's property. I do know that MaineDOT offered their land in the area to the city for a new homeless shelter; the way it was shown on maps made me believe that that would have included the land for the wye. The city has taken that site off the short list for now, though, but it's Portland so who knows?
  by gokeefe

County Way was being considered for a new homeless shelter for Portland ... That is no longer the case.
Portland officials are no longer considering building a 150-bed homeless services center near the Cumberland County Jail.

The 6-acre site on County Way initially appeared to meet many of the criteria laid out by the City Council, such as being near other services with access to public transportation. But a City Council committee voted Tuesday to eliminate the County Way land from consideration, in part because of concerns about pedestrian safety.
The active rail line was mentioned as one of several negative site characteristics.
  by MEC407

gokeefe wrote: Pedestrian strike in Biddeford. No further details that I've heard but that area has a history of trespasser fatalities.
It certainly does. There have been more Downeaster pedestrian strikes in Biddeford than in any other community on the route.
  by MERailFanJay

MEC407 wrote:
gokeefe wrote: Pedestrian strike in Biddeford. No further details that I've heard but that area has a history of trespasser fatalities.
It certainly does. There have been more Downeaster pedestrian strikes in Biddeford than in any other community on the route.
Is there any underlying reason for this? Geographical, maybe? Is there a lot of foot traffic through that town?
  by TRNE

The recent trespasser fatality in Biddeford and the media's shoddy reporting is discussed on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TrainRidersNortheast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best quote from an anonymous Amtrak employee, “Our trains do not leave the tracks to hunt down their victims”
  by markhb

MERailFanJay wrote:
MEC407 wrote:
Is there any underlying reason for this? Geographical, maybe? Is there a lot of foot traffic through that town?
I don't know about the others, but the site where this was said to take place appears to be a convenient shortcut from a neighborhood to Route 111 with no short alternatives