Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1504116  by charlesriverbranch

I just got off 698 at North Station. The train pulled in behind a second Downeaster train set on the same track. That train set had passengers on board. Does anyone know what's up with that? I have never seen more than a single Downeaster train set in North Station.
 #1504117  by markhb

charlesriverbranch wrote:I just got off 698 at North Station. The train pulled in behind a second Downeaster train set on the same track. That train set had passengers on board. Does anyone know what's up with that? I have never seen more than a single Downeaster train set in North Station.
There's a current Service Alert that, due to a mechanical failure, 697 is cancelled and passengers are being moved to 699.
 #1504129  by Dick H

Earlier, #685 lost 45 minutes due to a disabled freight at Dover. To their credit,
PAR sent an engine maintainer and a "car knocker" from Portland to resolve the
situation and permit the freight train to back into the clear.

It appears there has been an increase in mechanical delays on both PAR trains
and Downeasters as of late. Customer satisfaction will likely take a hit on the
next survey. PAR also had a number of track issues in recent weeks.
 #1504142  by BostonUrbEx

charlesriverbranch wrote:Does anyone know what's up with that? I have never seen more than a single Downeaster train set in North Station.
Train 697 never departed because of a failure related to the air compressor on Engine 83. Train 699 departed as a double-draft with both sets.

Today, 694 is stopped near Exeter 45+ minutes late due to issues with the Engine 31.
 #1504209  by markhb

If anyone's going to the NNEPRA board meeting today, can you ask about the Portland station eradication stuff and if the proposed sale of land by MDOT to the city will impact the possibility of building the wye?
 #1504297  by jonnhrr

eustis22 wrote:Downeaster to LA?

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... 8qm4LbnI9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I doubt it would be an extension of the Downeaster as there is no way to get from Brunswick to L/A except possibly the branch via Lisbon Falls which is out of service North of Lisbon Falls and the right of way has been built over in Lewiston. Most likely this would be a new train between Portland and L/A probably using the former St. Lawrence and Atlantic line from Yarmouth to Danville Jct (now owned by the State) and perhaps a station near the L/A airport. If this ever happens which I don't think is likely, especially with the fiscal constraints the state is going to be under.

Jon