• Amtrak Heartland Flyer Discussion and Possible Extension

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Mackensen

John_Perkowski wrote:Looked at some photos online. My guess is a downstairs coach space has been set aside for cafe service.
I believe the Heartland Flyer usually operates with one of the 35xxx-series Superliner I "snack coaches". There's normal seating on the upper level and a cafe/lounge seating area on the lower level.
  by Rockingham Racer

But if you can't do stairs, getting something to eat or drink on this train seems not to be possible. Does the conductor do at-seat service in this instance? I have my doubts.
  by John_Perkowski

Rockingham Racer wrote:But if you can't do stairs, getting something to eat or drink on this train seems not to be possible. Does the conductor do at-seat service in this instance? I have my doubts.
ADA issue. Amtrak would be sitting in someone's lawsuit target for "failure to accommodate."
  by electricron

Mackensen wrote:
John_Perkowski wrote:Looked at some photos online. My guess is a downstairs coach space has been set aside for cafe service.
I believe the Heartland Flyer usually operates with one of the 35xxx-series Superliner I "snack coaches". There's normal seating on the upper level and a cafe/lounge seating area on the lower level.
Amtrak Superliner roster contains nine (9) 35xxx series snack coaches.
The bottom half of a Superliners coach containing bathrooms is the same, the other half can contain baggage space, snack coach counter, or additional seating where wheelchairs are accommodated on Superliners trains.
On certain dates, especially OU/UT weekend, I've seen Sightseer Lounge cars on the Heartland Flyer using it's cafe section.

It is very nice to have the ability to purchase branch water to cut stronger drinks, sandwiches, snacks, or souvenirs aboard the train. Okies and Texans can get very thirsty on hot, humid days, and we are hungry every day.
  by Rockingham Racer

Thanks, Ron. And true about us Texans.
  by electricron

Just wanted to add to the discussion, the other two coaches usually have seats on half of the lower level when there's a cabbage cab car on the end of the train opposite of the locomotive. On the few occasions I've ridden the train with locomotives on both ends of the train, one coach has seats on the lower level, one coach has a baggage compartment, and one coach has the cafe counter. Usually the coach with the cafe is the middle coach of the train.
  by Tadman

John_Perkowski wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:But if you can't do stairs, getting something to eat or drink on this train seems not to be possible. Does the conductor do at-seat service in this instance? I have my doubts.
ADA issue. Amtrak would be sitting in someone's lawsuit target for "failure to accommodate."
Hold on here. All SL lounges have the snack bar downstairs. Whether or not that is ADA violation is not clear to me but they have been doing it fleet-wide for 35 years, its not just a coach-lounge issue.
  by Amtrak7

Tadman wrote:
John_Perkowski wrote:
Hold on here. All SL lounges have the snack bar downstairs. Whether or not that is ADA violation is not clear to me but they have been doing it fleet-wide for 35 years, its not just a coach-lounge issue.
On the other trains, there is a coach attendant who will provide at seat service to those passengers. No attendant here.
  by electricron

Amtrak7 wrote: On the other trains, there is a coach attendant who will provide at seat service to those passengers. No attendant here.
There is a conductor who frequents the lower level of all coach cars, that can pass info to the cafe attendant. And few passengers ride solo anyways, and there's always somebody available, including other guests, willing to run to the cafe counter and return with the goods - and with the change. ;)

It's not the end of the world if you personally can't get to cafe counter, there's no table to sit at anyways.
  by AgentSkelly

As my grandfather says "They got this figured out to a science already..."

On the times there has been a Superliner set filling on the Cascades, if there was a ADA passenger in the lower level, one of the assistant conductors would offer to deliver food from the cafe.
  by John_Perkowski

You all missed my point.

Crew is required to support purchases of a disabled traveller. That means delivery. If there's a coach attendant, he's the stuckee. If not, one of the train crew.

Location is never the issue, accommodation is.
  by electricron

John_Perkowski wrote:Crew is required to support purchases of a disabled traveller.
Considering the Heartland Flyer has been accommodating disabled passengers successfully for over a decade without a lawsuit being filed for lack of accommodation, your point is mute. Apparantly someone in the crew has been doing their job well. It should be noted all disabled spaces on Superliner trains are located on the lower level, as are all cafe counters, and that the doors between passenger cars are on the upper level, somebody on every Superliner train crew must be tasked with this duty. The only difference between the Heartland Flyer and other Superliner trains is which type of car the cafe counter is in.
  by AgentSkelly

electricron wrote:
John_Perkowski wrote:Crew is required to support purchases of a disabled traveller.
Considering the Heartland Flyer has been accommodating disabled passengers successfully for over a decade without a lawsuit being filed for lack of accommodation, your point is mute. Apparantly someone in the crew has been doing their job well. It should be noted all disabled spaces on Superliner trains are located on the lower level, as are all cafe counters, and that the doors between passenger cars are on the upper level, somebody on every Superliner train crew must be tasked with this duty. The only difference between the Heartland Flyer and other Superliner trains is which type of car the cafe counter is in.
One of my friends has a husband who is wheelchair bound Afghanistan War vet takes Amtrak regularly on several Superliner trains. From what I understand, the train crew always been awesome in making sure he gets accommodated; He has written a few kudos letters over the years to Amtrak even for awesome crew members. Once he gets onboard and settles in in either lower level coach or the ADA bedroom, either the car attendant or one of the assistant conductors comes by and sees what he needs while he's on board. He likes to eat meals at slightly off than normal eating hours, so he usually arranges that with the crew and of course tips them generously.
  by Tadman

That's a good point. I have spoken with some operations level managers and they told me that it is the company culture to go out of the way to accommodate anybody that may be within ADA guidelines. I know many of the crews are veterans, too, so I don't doubt they they go out of the way to help a fellow veteran.
  by n2cbo

electricron wrote: your point is mute.
I think what you meant was "your point is moot"

The auto correct feature on my phone gets me in trouble like that quite often...
8^)...