Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1465253  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Aboard 52 (21)--
I haven't done any exploring, and rather doubt if I will. I really get sick and tired of, because I know how to walk on a train, get sneered at by a Conductor "you're with Amtrak; you must be one of them spies".
chuchubob wrote:BTW, I neglected to mention that train 52-13 had a Business Class car in front of the sleepers.
Mr. Vogel, I indeed commend you for being the more intrepid explorer than am I :-D :-D
 #1465256  by R&DB

Mr. Vogel said:
Burning pine needles.
I got that from your first post. I was just asking why the pine needles got caught in the bearings in the first place.
Amtrak dumped the observation cars from the Florida runs cause :You seen one pine tree, you've seen them all". Now Bob has witnessed the attack of the killer pine tree!
 #1465261  by Gilbert B Norman

R&DB wrote:Amtrak dumped the observation cars from the Florida runs cause "You seen one pine tree, you've seen them all"
Well not quite:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:I never explored, all I noted is the Coach Lounge is the Sightseer. What a waste - "you've seen one pine tree, you've seen 'em all".
So far as I know, five 380XX Diners became 33500-04 Auto-Train Lounges. While two such cars were damaged at Crescent City, they were returned to service. If five cars is not sufficient to cover assignments requiring four, it would not be too hard to look about the System and find a 370XX Diner-Lounge "unassigned" and put that into the AT pool. Likely it would need not any conversion work as all the essentials are already in place.
 #1465271  by chuchubob

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Aboard 52 (21)--
I haven't done any exploring, and rather doubt if I will. I really get sick and tired of, because I know how to walk on a train, get sneered at by a Conductor "you're with Amtrak; you must be one of them spies".
chuchubob wrote:BTW, I neglected to mention that train 52-13 had a Business Class car in front of the sleepers.
Mr. Vogel, I indeed commend you for being the more intrepid explorer than am I :-D :-D
I didn't explore the train, Mr. Norman. Boarding and dinner announcements mentioned passengers for Business Class and Sleeper passengers.
 #1466814  by R&DB

Copied from the OTP topic:
Looks like Autotrain #52 is going to be very late to Lorton. Just a few miles north of the SFA yard, 0 mph and marked SERVICE DISRUPTION.

7:10 pm update: Train is stopped just across W. New York Ave. in DeLand. Might be a crossing accident.
7:55 pm update: Pedestrian killed on tracks. Investigation on-going. Still 0 mph.
From WFTV9:
""Service on the Amtrak Auto Train has been temporarily suspended," she said. "Local law enforcement is investigating an incident of the train coming into contact with a person who was on the tracks."

There were 219 passengers aboard the train, which was traveling from Sanford to Lorton, Virginia, Woods said."

So 219 passengers are delayed 4 hours (so far) and Amtrak may have to use another crew and possibly serve an extra lunch because some fool decided to walk the tracks when a train was coming? The intersection at New York Ave. is NOT at grade, so the person was walking along the tracks. So why does the investigation take over 4 hours? Remove body, take statements from crew and ask Amtrak for recorder data and video when they get to Lorton.
9:10 pm has the Silver Star coming up fast giving us another delayed train.
9:25 pm finally on the move.
 #1467020  by chrsjrcj

Tri-Rail and Brightline were trying to get a bill passed in the Florida Legislature that reduces the amount of time it takes for law enforcement to clear a train after a trespasser strike. It didn’t make it to vote this session, but I suspect we’ll see another attempt.

In other news, 3 autoracks derailed on 53-21. Looks like the rest of the train is continuing on without the racks.
 #1467055  by R&DB

chrsjrcj » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:55 am

Tri-Rail and Brightline were trying to get a bill passed in the Florida Legislature that reduces the amount of time it takes for law enforcement to clear a train after a trespasser strike. It didn’t make it to vote this session, but I suspect we’ll see another attempt.

In other news, 3 autoracks derailed on 53-21. Looks like the rest of the train is continuing on without the racks.
When #53 gets to Sanford, I hope Amtrak can provide transport, food or lodging for 393 people while they wait for their cars to catch up. There will be lawsuits. They were 4+ hours late leaving Lorton and currently (1:27pm) around Charleston. Long way to go. #52 has passed the derailment site. Now Amtrak has to get head end power to the site (if not already there) to haul the racks south, or pay CSX to do it.
Tr-Rail and Brightline's idea should be followed nationwide. Amtrak and the Class 1's and 2's would probably concur.

2:29 pm update: #52 has been stopped for a while south of Petersburg with current estimated arrival at Lorton at 6:24 pm.
 #1467067  by ExCon90

chrsjrcj wrote:Tri-Rail and Brightline were trying to get a bill passed in the Florida Legislature that reduces the amount of time it takes for law enforcement to clear a train after a trespasser strike. It didn’t make it to vote this session, but I suspect we’ll see another attempt.
That sounds like something that the Organization Formerly Known As NARP ought to get behind with all the State legislatures; there might be enough support behind it to accomplish something.
 #1467103  by dgvrengineer

R&DB wrote:
chrsjrcj » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:55 am

When #53 gets to Sanford, I hope Amtrak can provide transport, food or lodging for 393 people while they wait for their cars to catch up. There will be lawsuits. They were 4+ hours late leaving Lorton and currently (1:27pm) around Charleston. Long way to go. #52 has passed the derailment site. Now Amtrak has to get head end power to the site (if not already there) to haul the racks south, or pay CSX to do it.
My understanding is that only 4 auto racks were involved. The rest went south with the passenger cars, so most people would have their cars when they finally got to Sanford.
 #1467515  by bostontrainguy

Amtrak intends to remove Business Class seating from the Auto Train and Crescent routes. Never found it too appealing myself. It was the same seat as in coach but in the lower level of a regular coach. A free tiny soda and first class diner menu was included which wasn't worth it. And the same rest rooms as everyone else which was one of the reasons I usually opt for Business Class on the NEC - usually less people which equates to quieter car and cleaner restrooms.
 #1467520  by R&DB

bostontrainguy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Amtrak intends to remove Business Class seating from the Auto Train and Crescent routes.
If you want a better experience than coach on either of these routes, spring for a Roomette or Bedroom. The Crescent between NYP and ATL could use another sleeper. The Auto Train probably could not add a sleeper without subtracting a coach. (CSX train length mandates)