Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#94222  by David Benton

Are the old ones worn out , or just not suited to the service anymore ?
I suppose they are around 30 years old

#94301  by orulz

Maybe they couldn't hande the enormous weight of the SUV's that people are buying these days, sorta like shortline railroads and the 386,000lb freight cars.

(sorry for the o/t post!)

#94464  by Joe

Shouldn't the ends of those cars be closed?! :P

Joe LeMay

#94743  by Xplorer2000

David Benton wrote:Are the old ones worn out , or just not suited to the service anymore ?
I suppose they are around 30 years old
Many date back to the Original mid-70s Autotrain, and all are just about worn out, either from old age , or the incredible mileage they see.
I will say the new ones look quite nice.

#94768  by rob5243

Very shiny. They look good. The new graphics are nice, as well.
 #94774  by Gilbert B Norman

Much as I hate to say it, Mr. Xplorer, I'm afraid the bi-levels are older than that.

Those carriers were acquired by the AT Corp second hand from the Canadian National. I believe those cars were built in the range of 1955. ATCorp removed the freight trucks (bogeys) and replaced them with passenger trucks salvaged from retired Railway Express Agency Box Cars.

The existing tri-level Auto Carriers were acquired new by ATC circa 1974.

In short, all need to be 'relieved from duty'.

#94786  by hsr_fan

So, they finally get replacements just as Amtrak is about to be shut down. Great!

#94789  by Gilbert B Norman

The auto carriers could easily find a second home with any Class One; so could the other new acquisition - the MP-15 switcher locomotives.

#94814  by trainfreak

Those are some nice looking autoracks. Im starting to see more and more of thoser chrome autoracks. I think they definatley look more sleak then the older ones.

Jeff

#95918  by capltd29

Where were those pics taken?

#95936  by Gilbert B Norman

Oh well, it will be interesting to note if my "buggy" (likely its final AT trips, unless me and car dealer fail to come together) will be encased in a new carrier on #53((16) and #52(21)

#96267  by capltd29

I will be going on a SB AT trip leaving #53(27MAR) on Easter Sunday!!!

I can't wait!!!

John Parker
 #101093  by USRailFan

What was the consist of the Auto Train's consist like when it was first re-equipped as an all-Superliner train? Did it have the special Auto Train Lounges (ex. Superliner I Diners) from the start, or were they added at a later date?

#101098  by mlrr

I'm not sure if I'm answering your question correctly but earlier on the Auto Train consisted of a long mixed string of heritage and Amfleet II cars along with an 85' Dome car (those cars made their way west and saw service in California for a number of years when Autotrain was equipped with Superliners)

If you are talking about the first Superliner set then I'm not sure. I'm assuming that old Superliner I cars were re-fitted and custom made (interior wise) for the Auto Train.