Railroad Forums 

• All Things Empire Builder

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1421573  by mtuandrew

Balerion wrote:Amtrak Sees Spike in Empire Builder Ridership
More people rode the Amtrak train in 2016 than the year before. Ridership on the Empire Builder which runs through St. Cloud was up 5.8%. A total of 146,689 passengers rode that route.

Ridership numbers were also up at the St. Cloud Amtrak Depot with 11,457 riders last year compared to 9,950 in 2015.
That accounts for some of the drop seen in MSP numbers (down about 10k in 2014 and 2015 from 2013 and 2012 numbers. Link in Station Developments thread.)
 #1422318  by Woody

Balerion wrote:Amtrak Sees Spike in Empire Builder Ridership
More people rode the Amtrak train in 2016 than the year before. Ridership on the Empire Builder which runs through St. Cloud was up 5.8%. A total of 146,689 passengers rode that route.

Ridership numbers were also up at the St. Cloud Amtrak Depot with 11,457 riders last year compared to 9,950 in 2015.
Tucked into that good article was news that the St Cloud station is currently in a $1.3 million project to comply with ADA and get other upgrades.

Meanwhile, Minnesota DOT is busy 'studying' a second frequency CHI-Milwaukee-St Paul-St Cloud. Their report will no doubt include a list of all stations needing improvement, and a discouraging total cost for that work. But by checking off St Cloud now, the report won't include that $1.3 million cost.
 #1422327  by gokeefe

Woody wrote:Their report will no doubt include a list of all stations needing improvement, and a discouraging total cost for that work. But by checking off St Cloud now, the report won't include that $1.3 million cost.
Interesting question considering Amtrak doesn't have any intermediate stations between St. Paul and St. Cloud. Monticello would seem to be a natural option. Interesting that a Google search comes up completely empty for any interest in having a station or frankly anything related to Amtrak.
 #1422340  by mtuandrew

I'd be interested in that, Mr. O'Keefe, but Monticello isn't on a through route anymore so would be a very small Empire :wink: Elk River, MN would make a lot of sense though, especially since it has an under-utilized Northstar Commuter rail station! It's almost as close to my family in the northern MSP suburbs as St. Paul, and would serve a large population in the northwestern MSP suburbs and exurbs.
 #1422459  by gokeefe

Having a station certainly helps! I would encourage letter to Senator Franken and putting together a local committee. Great American Stations has a lot of information about how to do exactly this. Send me a message if there's anything else I can do to help. TrainRiders Northeast (http://www.trainridersne.org) certainly supports improving and expanding Amtrak and VIA services all across North America.
 #1435382  by Jeff Smith

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/pas ... enter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amtrak will build a $28-million locomotive service facility in Seattle.

The U.S. passenger rail corporation said the project is its third major investment in the Seattle facility that provides services for the long-distance Empire Builder and Coast Starlight; Amtrak Cascades state-supported corridor service, and maintenance for Sound Transit Sounder commuter trains.

The project, to be managed by PCL Construction Services, will include demolition of the site’s existing buildings, utilities, tracks, and other structures, as well as construction of a new 31,000-square-foot locomotive shop. Existing yard tracks will be reconfigured to provide access to the new facility, which will be equipped with a 55-ton crane and a new 125-ton drop table, the latter funded by the Washington State Department of Transportation.
 #1435568  by Woody

Jeff Smith wrote:http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/pas ... enter.html
Amtrak will build a $28-million locomotive service facility ...

... the project is its third major investment in the Seattle facility that provides services for the long-distance Empire Builder [etc.]
Yes, I was remembering that some Stimulus funds went to this facility back when, with a promise that the next step would come soon after. (At the time I was amazed to think of the work being done outdoors in Seattle's famous precipitation.)

Then the Congressional majority elected in 2010 decided that if Obama was for trains, they were against 'em. So it's taken six more years to get this project going again.
 #1467297  by dowlingm

How much will it help the Builder if BNSF builds the second track/bridge over Lake Pend Oreille at Sandpoint, ID?
 #1467299  by Rockingham Racer

dowlingm wrote:How much will it help the Builder if BNSF builds the second track/bridge over Lake Pend Oreille at Sandpoint, ID?
There will be a smaller chance for a delay between Sandpoint, AKA the Funnel, and Spokane. The railroad is also adding a second track west of Hauser Yard, which will also help fluidity.
 #1467398  by hs3730

Does the Empire Builder always run the winter Seattle section with such an... unbalanced consist? For this holiday-ish weekend #7 ran with 3 sleepers (including the dorm) and only one coach. 27 had two coaches and one sleeper.
 #1467749  by USRailFan

Could be the extra sleeper was deadheading?
Back in the Early 2000s I think the consist was baggage car, trans sleeper, sleeper, diner, two coaches for Seattle and coach baggage, sigthseer, and two sleepers, for Spokane?