Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1465230  by mtuandrew

Rockingham Racer wrote:Given the poor performance of concrete ties in some places, concrete ties could use more inspection, also, don't you think?
Sure, in some places where concrete ties have high loading or shear, or where there’s a suspected bad batch, they need frequent inspection. They also don’t absorb shock as well as wood, meaning they require rubber anchor pads that need renewal relatively often. Generally though, a wooden tie will disintegrate, rot, shift, or otherwise fail before a concrete tie. Composite plastic/wood ties, all-plastic ties, the rare steel tie (unsuitable for signaled track) and precast panel track are also options where wood isn’t optimal - but pricier.

(I haven’t studied railroad engineering for some years, so if there are any MOW professionals out there, please chime in.)
 #1465239  by Backshophoss

About the only known area where concrete ties don't do well is the Harlem line between MO and JO towers,due to drainage problems.
4 tracks in a walled cut below street level in that part of the Bronx.
 #1465241  by R&DB

Concrete ties also do not do well in areas where there are constant cycles between heavy freeze and thaw. They tend to heave more than the more flexible wood.
 #1465268  by JamesRR

Rockingham Racer wrote:Didn't Amtrak have to prematurely replace a lot of them on the NEC a while back? But that was defective manufacturing, IIRC.
Yes, it was a disastrous problem. They installed new concrete on the outer local tracks of the NEC, only to have to do the whole thing over again when the ties were found to be defective. Other railroads had the same issue. They were prematurely cracking.

Concrete isn't always better. I believe wood is used in some cases due to its flexibility under complex track interlocking (e.g. the complex ladders into Penn Station). Just has to be maintained and replaced eventually as any material.
 #1465270  by scoostraw

CPSD40-2 wrote:As a frequent passenger on the Empire Service from SYR to NYP, I can say they run a pretty tight ship, and it is FAR better than trying to fly from ROC or SYR to LGA or JFK. The track and ride quality on the stretch from ALB down to Hudson is horrible though, usually feels like we're going to fly off the rails.
The last time I rode this stretch (several years ago) it felt like the rail really needed surfacing or replacement. It was like a washboard - and just a bit unnerving. I'm surprised to learn that it is still that way.
 #1465279  by Matt Johnson

Here's a video of the new second track between Albany and Schenectady. Does Amtrak own this track? I don't know if CSX ownership of the line from Albany to Poughkeepsie has any bearing on the choice between wood and concrete ties, but I wonder if the future preference might be concrete given its use on the new track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZMLZEw2Q5I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1465964  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Gilbert B Norman wrote:It certainly appears that the scope of the work as it relates to the Empire Service is far greater this year than was last.
Empire trains will be routed to GCT this year for an entirely different reason than last summer. Last year Empire trains were rerouted to GCT to alleviate congestion in NYP due to track outages during track repairs. This year, Empire service will be returning to GCT due to the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge being replaced.
 #1466464  by jhdeasy

AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:This year, Empire service will be returning to GCT due to the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge being replaced.
I believe the summer 2018 engineering project also includes substantial work on the Empire Connection tunnel that connects Penn Station with the West Side line.