Railroad Forums 

• Let's see your map

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1538105  by Tadman

We're all in an odd place these days. Grab a system map and draw lines to show your mileage. Here's a link to one that won't destroy the aspect ratio of the browser or forum: https://www.amtrakvacations.com/content ... 30x564.jpg

Here's my map - I've inclded names but not lines of FRA-regulated commuter systems plus a few oddballs like SFSR and NSS. I think I forgot CVSR.

Red is base mileage, green is sleeper, blue is business/first.

#1538124  by bostontrainguy

This was fun. I think this is correct but I might have missed something. I did not include any commuter rail or subways. The green highlighted trips are no longer available or the original version.
Attachments:
Untitled presentation (3).jpg
Untitled presentation (3).jpg (114.98 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1538147  by STrRedWolf

Here's mine. Wish I had a higher-rez version so I could do a proper fade-to-gray for all the lines I haven't done... but I'm early. Hope to get some mileage later on with better planning.
Attachments:
avnm-strredwolf.jpg
avnm-strredwolf.jpg (131.33 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
 #1538148  by Greg Moore

amtrak_travels.jpg
amtrak_travels.jpg (116.06 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
I used the same coloring as Tadman:
Red for Coach
Blue for First/Business
Green for Sleeper

I think I've got themall.
I've ridden (in separate trips) the Lake Shore Limited end to end, but coach only east of Albany.
1st Class on the Acela from NYP-WAS in both direction, as well as coach.
Sleeper on the Silver Meteor (might have been Star) to Orlando
Sleeper AND when they had it, Business on Crescent to/from Atlanta
Entire length of Southwest Chief (on honeymoon, too many years ago).
Entire length of California Zephyr (on honeymoon, too many years ago) as well as DEN-CHI 3 years ago.
Coast Starlight LAU-Jack London Station (on same honeymoon) and also LAU-Klamath falls

One of the more interesting trips for me, was ALB-Schenectady via coach years back under the original points system. I was like 85 points under the total I needed for the next tier. At the time it was "cost of ticket * 2=points with 100 point minimum" Figured that was the cheapest way to get the points I needed. The conductor thought it was strange I was taking such a short trip until I explained why. He said, "Hmm, let me see if I can save you some time" and called ahead to see if the LSL (I think) was running late enough that they could hold it another 5 minutes so my dwell time would be essentially 0. Unfortunately it had just left Schenectady. Which was ok. While waiting for the Ethan Allen, I got a great shot of it coming in through the snow. I need to find that.

On my list, Crescent to New Orleans and perhaps back via City of New Orleans (now if only I could find some good music for that train :-)
 #1538162  by R36 Combine Coach

mtuandrew wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:08 pm Definitely not including everything, but it’s slipping my mind right now.
@mtuandrew, you've been on the Algoma Central? The scheduled service or the tour?
 #1538165  by mtuandrew

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:14 pm
mtuandrew wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:08 pm Definitely not including everything, but it’s slipping my mind right now.
@mtuandrew, you've been on the Algoma Central? The scheduled service or the tour?
The tour train, but back in the WC ownership days before the CN takeover. I’m sure I have pictures in print somewhere, but above all I remember the steam heat being cranked to 11 on a cold, snowy Sault day.
 #1538166  by David Benton

Done my 3 trips to the America's, as follows,
mid eithies- red (6 month tour USA,Canada, Mexico )
late eighties-orange ( enroute to 6 months in South America)
2012-green ( quick trip to rv convention)
Attachments:
Inkedamtrak-vacations-network-map-2019-830x564_LI (2).jpg
Inkedamtrak-vacations-network-map-2019-830x564_LI (2).jpg (875.52 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
 #1538195  by BAR

Downeaster route from Portland, Maine to Brunswick, Maine not shown on Amtrak map?

BAR
 #1538221  by quad50cal

Route length traveled isn't everything. Joe Biden clocked much of his 2 million miles on Amtrak on the same WAS-WIL segment.

My map is short but well traveled + tens of thousands of miles on LIRR over the years.

Also if anyone's interested in tracking all types of their travel and speeds in detail, I'd heartily recommend the Quantified (free) or Arc (better analytics but semi-premium) apps.
 #1538238  by jcpatten

Not much compared to some of you.
my map.png
my map.png (706.35 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Mine are the heavy black lines.

Not an official line on the map, but I rode BC Rail's passenger train from north of Lilooet to Vancouver in 1984 (same trip as Boston to Seattle by train).
 #1538290  by Tadman

I'm jealous of the full Builder trip, it's on my list. And i would love if they brought back the BC Rail passenger train. I've seen pics, it's amazing.
 #1538299  by rohr turbo

Fun exercise. Looks Like David Benton gets the trophy!
Attachments:
route map.JPG
route map.JPG (349.09 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
 #1538370  by jcpatten

Tadman wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:47 am I'm jealous of the full Builder trip, it's on my list. And i would love if they brought back the BC Rail passenger train. I've seen pics, it's amazing.
I was amazed at how flat North Dakota is (and Ohio too), and how remote Montana was as well. And it wasn't quite the full trip - we got off in Everett, WA. I think the second day out of Chicago I discovered the showers on the Superliners, I was totally surprised but took advantage of them.