Railroad Forums 

• Genesis discussion (AMD-103, P40DC, P42DC)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1536911  by ApproachMedium

Dry unloaded amfleet cars are about 110. When i have to move these things to and from the yard its sloooowww. i cant imagine in one mile it hits 90. we can barely get to 60 going down hill in a mile!
 #1536993  by ThirdRail7

ApproachMedium wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:27 pm Dry unloaded amfleet cars are about 110. When i have to move these things to and from the yard its sloooowww. i cant imagine in one mile it hits 90. we can barely get to 60 going down hill in a mile!
Maintenance and scheduling make all the difference in the world. :wink:
 #1599383  by Pensyfan19

Amtrak 802 has been spotted on Virtual Railfan earlier today with LTEX reporting marks. I believe this unit has been on the dead line since 2000 or so. Does this make the 2nd Genesis that wasn't wrecked to be sold to a non passenger company?
 #1599386  by R36 Combine Coach

To think:

The 800s date to 1993 and are older now than the earliest F40s when retired by the P42s. The last series from 1987
was only about 15 years old. Even the last P42s from 2001 are getting up there.
 #1599467  by MEC407

kitn1mcc wrote:wonder if any will end up in a freight operation
I can't imagine a Genesis would be of any use for a North American freight railroad. Unlike the F40PH, a Genesis cannot be easily modified for freight operation due to its monocoque carbody.
 #1599479  by ApproachMedium

Nobodys going to make a P42 with the lightweight carbody it has, into a DPU. The P42s are useless. The only thing they are good for is spare parts to keep smaller railroads Dash 8 and 9 locomotives functioning.
 #1599553  by CSRR573

ApproachMedium wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:11 pm Nobodys going to make a P42 with the lightweight carbody it has, into a DPU. The P42s are useless. The only thing they are good for is spare parts to keep smaller railroads Dash 8 and 9 locomotives functioning.
Especially seeing as all the bodies are severely rotted out. Look down along the side of any P42 and you'll see the body sag badly in the middle.
 #1599565  by STrRedWolf

CSRR573 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:36 am
ApproachMedium wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:11 pm Nobodys going to make a P42 with the lightweight carbody it has, into a DPU. The P42s are useless. The only thing they are good for is spare parts to keep smaller railroads Dash 8 and 9 locomotives functioning.
Especially seeing as all the bodies are severely rotted out. Look down along the side of any P42 and you'll see the body sag badly in the middle.
I'm so glad they're replacing 'em all with Chargers.
 #1599589  by ApproachMedium

CSRR573 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:36 am
Ive never seen one body sag. I see the body rot, but thats not in structural areas. They cut that out and replace it, the same way they did with F units for ages.

I am NOT glad they are being replaced with chargers. Neither are any of the other amtrak engineers who have to run this stuff. the chargers are complete piles of junk. Theres a whole facebook page dedicated to it. Ive also expressed my displeasure with the ACS-64s and thats certainly becoming more and more of a problem as the cheap components fail and they mess with the software more and more.
 #1599623  by CSRR573

I dont know where your from, but all the ones that come through Boston sag in the middle, some worse then others. And I agree about the Siemens junk, I hate working on those things