Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Police SWAT Team?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1534570  by Gilbert B Norman

Last evening going to the Chicago Symphony, I had about an hour to kill between arrival of BNSF 1276 and the Pre-concert Lecture. Since, even @78yo, I can still hoof it CUS to Orchestra Hall in 20min (15 "back in my day"), I sat down in the Head House (whoops; Great Hall in Amtrakese) and started to read my Times.

A few minutes later, here comes a squad of Officers.dressed in "Camy" and toting AR's. I understand METRA passengers have been run out the Great Hall, and I started to think "uh, a little much". Well no concern, guess that they had "other things on the plate".

Left about 615 P; got over to Orchestra Hall (opposite Art Institute) 635P in time for the 645P Lecture.

End of story.
 #1534582  by Backshophoss

Believe Amtrak uses the NYC PD's Emergency Services Unit model,SWAT is a part of that model,rescue services are the other part.
Ie It's a "jack of all trades" unit
 #1534833  by Tadman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:25 am Since, even @78yo, I can still hoof it CUS to Orchestra Hall in 20min (15 "back in my day")
That walk is deceptively long. Especially with luggage. When I was a student and had more free time to ski, I'd catch the CZ back from Denver to Chicago, then South Shore to South Bend to get home. Try humping skis and gear across the loop in ankle deep snow! I was too cheap back then to pay for a cab. The South Shore leaves from Millenium Park, which is a block from Orchestra Hall.
 #1534842  by Tadman

A rather timely posting from another group and CBS chicago:

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/02/23 ... platforms/

“ The next time you ride the “L” you may see some extra security. Chicago police SWAT teams have started patrolling trains and platforms. Police tweeted photos of SWAT officers on a Red Line platform Saturday. The SWAT teams are being placed on the Red and Blue lines following recent shootings and other violent crimes on the CTA.”

While not Amtrak, it seems CPD has a railcar-trained SWAT crew.
 #1535350  by BandA

Easy to forget that Chicago has a very high crime rate especially compared to NYC or Boston.
 #1535896  by exvalley

Downtown Chicago isn't that bad in terms of crime. I have no problem with walking downtown day or night.

To the south is another story.