Railroad Forums 

• Trump proposes funding cuts

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1533327  by Kilo Echo

The White House budget released today proposes significant funding reductions for Amtrak.

Fair use:
The proposal would cut Amtrak funds in fiscal 2021 by more than 50% over 2020 levels. It could cut funds to the congested northeast corridor from $700 million to $325 million and cut long-distance train funds from $1.3 billion to $611 million, then phase out support for Amtrak’s long-distance trains.
Full story: Trump proposes cutting Amtrak funding, boosting infrastructure spending (Reuters)
 #1533369  by Backshophoss

This"budget' is already DOA at Capital Hill, the congress critters will create their own budget,hopefully cutting the wall construction funding
from the get-go.He has NEVER understood that compromise will make a workable budget,Gateway NEEDS to be Funded!
Amtrak should be fully funded as well. There're other funding cuts that need to be tended to.
 #1533374  by east point

Remember Trump at heart is an airline guy. That may be why Anderson stays at Amtrak. And Trump dabbled in airline with the Trump shuttle that went bankrupt.
 #1533417  by rcthompson04

Considering the discretionary funding cuts were steep in the proposed budget, I am surprised it wasn't a total cut. It would be smart for Amtrak to start figuring out how much to charge the states along the long distance routes anyway.
 #1533434  by Gilbert B Norman

Volks, now having read both Times and Journal reportage of the FY21 budget proposal, they have no mention whatever of Amtrak. The $1.3B Amtrak is looking for is a "rounding" in the big scheme.

Let's not panic at this time - and let's dismiss what the advocacy community will be spewing about.
 #1533445  by Pensyfan19

east point wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:17 am Remember Trump at heart is an airline guy. That may be why Anderson stays at Amtrak. And Trump dabbled in airline with the Trump shuttle that went bankrupt.
They are also bus people since both of them proposed to replace long distance trains with buses. Even Weird Al explains why this is not a good idea.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... ak6u4zEJLX

Also, this car-based government of the United States of Automobiles will NEVER give full funding for the alternative as they want to trade with other nations for fossil fuels such as O I L ! I feel the best solution for this is to privatise (not franchise) amtrak into various private corporations, being funded by the private sector rather than a government which funds their over-developed military and highways, who can draw more customers with new stations, equipment, and lower prices than what amtrak has to offer. Basically turn amtrak into brightline but on a much larger scale.
 #1533459  by Safetee

Actually a couple of years ago i suggested to a friend of mine who works at Amtrak that they ought to consider switching all their power to coal fired steam engines if they ever expected sufficient funding in the Trump era.
 #1533462  by rcthompson04

Safetee wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:23 pm Actually a couple of years ago i suggested to a friend of mine who works at Amtrak that they ought to consider switching all their power to coal fired steam engines if they ever expected sufficient funding in the Trump era.
Amtrak should seriously consider buying a nominal amount of power from idled Pennsylvania coal fired power plants.
 #1533505  by lordsigma12345

Pensyfan19 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:25 pm I am not surprised at this point. This is the THIRD TIME within his presidency in which he has tried to defund Amtrak. If this government does care about climate change, then they should follow almost every other country's example of FULLY FUNDING their railroads so this way they can run more trains on more routes with cleaner and better equipment.
I wouldn’t necessarily say him as much as Chao and the other Heritage folks in the administration. I don’t think Trump knows or cares much about Amtrak one way or the other. Trump focuses on certain issues he campaigned on, the balance of his administration’s policies are crafted by think tank groups like Heritage.
 #1533556  by Jeff Smith

ADMIN: Can we keep the extraneous politics and hyperbole' out of this discussion please? Note: I said "extraneous". I'm not ruling out politics; funding is a political matter and that includes Trump. I'm talking about the stuff that has nothing to do with Amtrak.
 #1533569  by mtuandrew

Trump appears to operate** on four broad rules in regards to his actions, in more or less this order:
1) if it makes him personally happy (i.e. he feels vindictive or vindicated by doing an action) he does it.
2) if it makes his followers happy, he does it.
3) if it makes him money, he does it.
4) if his trusted advisors tell him it’s good and he has no personal opinion, he does it.

Amtrak doesn’t make him personally happy or angry. Amtrak doesn’t incite lots of feelings from his base. Amtrak doesn’t make or lose him money*. And, his inner circle doesn’t care about Amtrak either.

If anything, by proposing a zero budget for Amtrak the president is throwing some red meat to his anti-social-program political allies. I’d say they’re for cutting the deficit and debt, but recent budgets have shown that to be false - it’s only some areas of the Federal budget that most self-described fiscal conservatives wish to cut.

*if Trump still owned an airline providing shuttle service NYC-WAS, he absolutely would attack the Amtrak NEC operations. See his commentary on groups and nations that stand in the way of his hotel properties, for instance.

**to the admin: unless the president’s own words are hyperbole, my comments aren’t :P
 #1533599  by east point

We have to wonder if the President even was aware of this cut ? How many budget items were more than Amtrak's minimum amount. We can make the case that the President's attention span is not enough to get to these items and just XXXXXX lets his minions to craft the budget ? Anyone know how many individual items are in the 2019 budget ?
 #1533620  by lordsigma12345

mtuandrew wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:15 pm Trump appears to operate** on four broad rules in regards to his actions, in more or less this order:
1) if it makes him personally happy (i.e. he feels vindictive or vindicated by doing an action) he does it.
2) if it makes his followers happy, he does it.
3) if it makes him money, he does it.
4) if his trusted advisors tell him it’s good and he has no personal opinion, he does it.

Amtrak doesn’t make him personally happy or angry. Amtrak doesn’t incite lots of feelings from his base. Amtrak doesn’t make or lose him money*. And, his inner circle doesn’t care about Amtrak either.

If anything, by proposing a zero budget for Amtrak the president is throwing some red meat to his anti-social-program political allies. I’d say they’re for cutting the deficit and debt, but recent budgets have shown that to be false - it’s only some areas of the Federal budget that most self-described fiscal conservatives wish to cut.

*if Trump still owned an airline providing shuttle service NYC-WAS, he absolutely would attack the Amtrak NEC operations. See his commentary on groups and nations that stand in the way of his hotel properties, for instance.

**to the admin: unless the president’s own words are hyperbole, my comments aren’t :P
As I stated earlier I think the Amtrak proposals in the budget are more Chao than Trump himself. I don’t even think Amtrak is really on his radar one way or the other, but I think there are some folks in the administration like Chao that really would like to defund.
 #1533638  by eolesen

Amazing to see all the political rhetoric in this thread, including at least one admin/moderator. Cleanup, Aisle 6.....

I agree with the previous comment -- Trump has probably focused zero attention on Amtrak, just like the rest of the country aside from advocates and railfans.

The bigger question should be what did Amtrak ask for? If Amtrak's doing better at farebox recovery, they shouldn't need as much of an appropriation.