Railroad Forums 

• Superliner Catenary question

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1532602  by DutchRailnut

your 6" might be ok for slow speed terminal moves , but any mainline stuff you need a foot between wire and train and a foot between wire and structure.
at speed equipment bounces more than 6 " just sayinn.
 #1532603  by Patrick Boylan

Are the Union Station Washington DC catenary and roofs the same height on all tracks? Does the Capitol Limited use just those tracks, if any, that have extra high clearance?
 #1532606  by east point

Boylan: Cannot answer question on height but the long range plan for US rebuild has both upper and lower level CAT clearances much higher. Now that includes another tunnel paralleling the present tunnel with high clearance. Did not see any mention of raising the clearance of the present tunnel.
 #1532613  by STrRedWolf

Patrick Boylan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:49 pm Are the Union Station Washington DC catenary and roofs the same height on all tracks? Does the Capitol Limited use just those tracks, if any, that have extra high clearance?
Tracks 21-25 (I think) are lower than tracks 1-20, because they're going into the First Street Tunnel.
 #1532629  by Patrick Boylan

Those are the only tracks on which I've seen the Capitol Limited since it turned to super duper liners, and even trying very hard I can't remember what platforms it used in amfleet or dome days.
But although those tracks are lower than the rest of them, are they lower in relation to their wires and roofs? I suspect they are because why else would the Capitol Limited use them since it doesn't need to use the tunnel?
 #1532634  by east point

My capitol experiences have always been the upper level track # which is forgotten. However the platform is the one that has a large building on it that shortens the track to the SE and the train track they were on has always been NW of the platform.
 #1532635  by Patrick Boylan

My brain froze and I forgot a good reason why the Capitol Limited uses the lower level tunnel tracks even though they don't go into the tunnel: superliners need low platforms. Does that upper level platform to which you refer have a high or low platform?
 #1532648  by RRspatch

Patrick Boylan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:03 pm My brain froze and I forgot a good reason why the Capitol Limited uses the lower level tunnel tracks even though they don't go into the tunnel: superliners need low platforms. Does that upper level platform to which you refer have a high or low platform?
Last time I was at Union Station a few years ago the Capital Limited departed on the upper level from track 15. As far as I know both No.15 and No.16 tracks are still low level platforms. One of these tracks is actually shorter than the other due to a small (electrical?) building at the end of the track. One of these two tracks (I think 16) had a pit between the rails for doing inspection on the Metroliner EMU's. The platform between 17 and 18 is the original high level platform installed for the Metroliner project in 1968. High level platforms between 13/14 and 19/20 were installed by Amtrak. I'm not sure if any other platforms were raised by Amtrak recently.

All the platforms on the lower level are .... low level platforms. Since VRE uses Gallery Cars the platforms down there will stay low level. I never did understand why VRE didn't go with Bombardier cars as they use POP. No need for the conductor to stick his hand up and collect tickets from upper level passengers.
 #1532649  by RRspatch

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:55 pm
Patrick Boylan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:49 pm Are the Union Station Washington DC catenary and roofs the same height on all tracks? Does the Capitol Limited use just those tracks, if any, that have extra high clearance?
Tracks 21-25 (I think) are lower than tracks 1-20, because they're going into the First Street Tunnel.
Tracks 1 through 6 were gobbled up by the Metro Red line. Track 21 is lost due to a support column holding up the H street bridge sitting right in the trackway. Track 22 is used for locomotive storage/staging and has/had no passenger access due to the overhead walkway being removed. There were plans to restore No.22 track and the walkway back to service.
 #1532659  by bostontrainguy

Is there some type of a fail-safe system that prevents Superliner trains from accidentally using the wrong track/platform or is it all reliant on mental memory?
 #1532666  by DutchRailnut

safety is crew qualifications and instructions in employee timetable .
 #1532670  by scratchyX

RRspatch wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:44 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:55 pm
Tracks 1 through 6 were gobbled up by the Metro Red line. Track 21 is lost due to a support column holding up the H street bridge sitting right in the trackway. Track 22 is used for locomotive storage/staging and has/had no passenger access due to the overhead walkway being removed. There were plans to restore No.22 track and the walkway back to service.
What a happened to the track 22 reuse plan?
iirc, track 15 is the shorter track with a pit, and 16 goes to the end.
16 of course, being the "Federal Express" entrance to union station.
 #1532783  by Tadman

electricron wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:51 am That frees up space for more Acela and Regional all coach trains on the NEC. But that forces many long distance passengers to transfer to sleeper trains elsewhere. ...

Anyway you wish to look at it, New York and the NEC have a significant share of Amtrak ridership. That's why all those long distance trains go to New York - if only to avoid many, many transfers elsewhere.
That's the idea. You solve the problem of rolling stock compatibility, you free up space on corridors, you create more predictable service, and yet the LD train is preserved.

The concept of transferring trains seems onerous, but it's very common in Europe. Go to the DB or NS International website and try some city combinations. Probably half result in 1-3 transfers. It's palatable when there are frequent services.
 #1532784  by bostontrainguy

I have posed this question before and think it fits in well with this conversation

The Superliner was designed almost 50 years ago. What is the possibility with modern design, cutting-edge materials and a bit of engineering skills, the car could be built with a lower profile? We do have for the first time modern new low-profile multi-levels capable of passing through NYP. Can a more modern Superliner architecture lower the profile by approximately 1.5 feet? The door/lift solution will have to be addressed too of course.

Don't know if it is possible but in fifty years changes in manufacturing and materials (stronger steel/carbon fiber) have to have changed quite a bit. (Of course then again there was the Nippon Sharyo disaster).

Anyway, it would be interesting to explore new designs.

P.S. Sante Fe high-levels were 15' 6" and they were built in the 50s.
 #1532808  by ExCon90

I think that regardless of the strength of materials the biggest problem is interior headroom for passengers, and the lack of overhead space for hand luggage is a definite disadvantage. Most of the European multilevels I've ridden are really tight for headroom on the upper deck.