Railroad Forums 

• Polar Express in Chicago

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1525174  by twropr

Tomorrow (Nov 15) PALMETTO #90 is supposed to pick up six Budd Cars at Savannah. They will eventually go to Chicago for use on POLAR EXPRESS service, which begins on Nov. 23. Are these RDCs or SPVs? Will they be hauled by locomotives when in revenue service? What route will the EXPRESS take and where will it turn? It is supposed to be an hour's ride to entertain children.
Andy
 #1525301  by Ken W2KB

Look at the website, especially the FAQ which describes the coaches: "Why are different railroad coaches being used this season? What can we expect?

If you are a returning guest on THE POLAR EXPRESS™ Train Ride, you may notice that we are utilizing different railroad cars this season. These recently restored coaches seat 85 passengers in a 3 x 2 arrangement facing the center of the car, which helps create a more intimate theatrical environment and offers more options for parties with odd numbers. These cars also feature lower seat backs, which makes it much easier for children (and vertically challeneged adults) to see our wonderful entertainers.

Please note that seats in Chicago will all face towards the middle of the car to create better sightlines and a center stage area for our performers. Seats 41 – 50 will be considered front row if you prefer to sit closest to the action. Each coach on THE POLAR EXPRESS™ Train Ride at Chicago Union Station offers the same class of service and all guests enjoy the same quality experience." https://www.chicagothepolarexpressride.com/faqs/
 #1525306  by TomNelligan

The cars in question are former Amtrak/Connecticut DOT Budd SPV-2000s that were converted to non-powered coaches with commuter seating after only a few years of self-propulsion. They last ran in Shore Line East service and were sold off by CDOT maybe a year ago after years in storage. Their current owner is the Foxville & Northern Railroad, a North Carolina company that I'm not familiar with.
 #1525311  by hi55us

Last I heard of these (I always called them the "red amfleet 1s") they where used to evacuate people during a hurricane. Good idea to use these for a polar express train, but I like how Amtrak does this with an Acela between Providence and Kingston (with Kingston being decorated as "The north pole")
 #1526197  by Backshophoss

Metra normally uses a bunch of Gallery cars that are wrapped with seasonal decorations.
they are borrowing the SPV's instead?
 #1526301  by eolesen

This isn't Operation North Pole. That's invitation only, runs on the UP-NW (the sponsors are based in Des Plaines/Rosemont), and the gallery car wraps should show up around the 15th-20th. It usually runs the weekend before Christmas.