Railroad Forums 

• Thanksgiving 2019

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1524802  by CNJGeep

Amtrak ACS
6 MARC IIs
Amfleet cafe car for extra seats and restrooms.

Just like last year.
 #1524808  by Literalman

First, why doesn’t Amtrak lease commuter coaches to add to long-distance trains
Amtrak did that at one point with the Crescent, adding VRE former RDCs to add capacity between Washington and Charlottesville, though I think the cars ran through at least to Atlanta. I think the passengers were unhappy that the quality of the cars was so much lower than Amfleet II, and maybe the passengers didn't get a lower fare for riding in the old cars.
 #1524809  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

I will second RW and mention that Amtrak has released the Thanksgiving 2019 Timetables effective between
November 22 and December 2, 2019 for the Northeast Corridor, Keystone and Empire services.
www.amtrak.com/timetables
All three timetables are in a PDF form. The Keystone and Empire Service timetables have schedules
shown for each day for both directions. These are at the top of the timetable page.

There is only four Holiday Commuter schedules listed on Sunday 12/1-two round trips with MARC equipment:
1054: Lv WAS 9:55 AM > Ar NYP 1:30 PM - turns to - 1063: Lv NYP 3:30 PM < Ar WAS 7:03 PM
1056: Lv WAS 2:30 PM > Ar NYP 6:05 PM - turns to - 1065: Lv NYP 8:20 PM < Ar WAS 11:51 PM.

RW: These two Holiday Specials using MARC equipment run to Sunnyside Yard and are "looped" entering
the yard so the motor is on the head end in both directions. CNJ is correct describing consists used.

MACTRAXX
 #1524823  by Traingeek3629

"Likewise, all trains operating between Springfield and New Haven are reserved"

Uhhh, what?
 #1524842  by Boyishcolt23

At one time Amtrak made good use of the transition cars on long distance trains, add a could of single level cars to the rear. Also used VIA in the Midwest and Northeast.
 #1524943  by ExCon90

MACTRAXX wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:26 pm These two Holiday Specials using MARC equipment run to Sunnyside Yard and are "looped" entering
the yard so the motor is on the head end in both directions.
Question: does the agreement require that the equipment must be returned to MARC facing in the same direction as received, or will MARC have to turn it? (Or does MARC always have the motor on the same end?)
 #1524988  by STrRedWolf

ExCon90 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:56 pm
MACTRAXX wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:26 pm These two Holiday Specials using MARC equipment run to Sunnyside Yard and are "looped" entering
the yard so the motor is on the head end in both directions.
Question: does the agreement require that the equipment must be returned to MARC facing in the same direction as received, or will MARC have to turn it? (Or does MARC always have the motor on the same end?)
MARC's push/pull. If Amtrak turns it in NYC, it'll have to turn again in DC, and that is if MARC provides a HHP-8 or two.
 #1524992  by njtmnrrbuff

For many years, when MARC sets run as Amtrak Holiday Extras from DC-NYP and back, they have had the engine pulling and because of that, they use the loop at Sunnyside Yard.
 #1525009  by electricron

Doesn't Amtrak just lease trailers? The cab cars stay in D.C.
It really doesn't matter which way the coaches are pointed when they arrive back in D.C. Amtrak just decouples the locomotive and MARC couples another locomotive back on the correct side pointing in the correct direction, then MARC couples the cab car back on. All that work can be done in the yard, not at the station.

Golly, it is not rocket science, railroads have been turning trains in the USA since the 1830s - almost 200 years ago. I'm pretty sure Amtrak and MARC can easily handle this task today.
 #1525048  by STrRedWolf

electricron wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 am Doesn't Amtrak just lease trailers? The cab cars stay in D.C.
It really doesn't matter which way the coaches are pointed when they arrive back in D.C. Amtrak just decouples the locomotive and MARC couples another locomotive back on the correct side pointing in the correct direction, then MARC couples the cab car back on. All that work can be done in the yard, not at the station.

Golly, it is not rocket science, railroads have been turning trains in the USA since the 1830s - almost 200 years ago. I'm pretty sure Amtrak and MARC can easily handle this task today.
Cab cars have bathrooms in them.

Doesn't really matter anyway. Amtrak can turn 'em at QN and F Tower at DC.
 #1525118  by rcthompson04

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:57 pm
electricron wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 am Doesn't Amtrak just lease trailers? The cab cars stay in D.C.

Cab cars have bathrooms in them.

Doesn't really matter anyway. Amtrak can turn 'em at QN and F Tower at DC.
Does this even matter as Amtrak is turning the trains itself as Amtrak runs the Penn Line?
 #1526263  by njtmnrrbuff

For those of you planning on taking part in the post Thanksgiving Sunday NEC railfanning festivities, the weather isn't looking too good. They are saying snow to rain. I wish I could be out there.
 #1526272  by STrRedWolf

rcthompson04 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:42 pm Does this even matter as Amtrak is turning the trains itself as Amtrak runs the Penn Line?
They have to wye the train so that a cab car is facing south, and any diesel engine is facing north away from the station. MARC's push/pull operation.

If they don't, MARC will need to wye it around QN and F Tower, or run it up to Brunswick or Baltimore via CSX lines as a dead head. They don't like doing the dead-heads, because it costs money.