Railroad Forums 

• Podcast on Amtrak's reporting infrastructure

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1520176  by Greg Moore

https://podcasts.apple.com/ee/podcast/a ... 0396985774
Warning it's long (about an hour) and geeky.

I'm not a familiar with AWS specifically, but can answer SOME technical questions if folks are curious.

But, the main take away, is Amtrak's reporting infrastructure was moved to AWS (I believe in 2016) and this gave them number of increased capabilities:
1) Much faster reports, and more reliable runtimes (i.e. they pretty much always run in a known time, not a variable time)
2) They've given their users the ability to do a lot more flexible reporting
3) As they admit late in the podcast, hard to say they did it "cheaper" since the old reporting was sort of built-into their SABRE model, but the cost is still fairly effective.
4) It's EXTREMELY scalable. They run about 1 million transactions a day, tested up to 3 million. But given the way AWS works, I'd be surprised if it wouldn't scale to 30 million.

Worth the listen to, even first 10 minutes if you're curious about how Amtrak is moving into the 21st Century.
 #1520455  by danib62

Unless you watch the youtube video I posted immediately before your post...