Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak turntables

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1518285  by Greg Moore

This came up from a question elsewhere (where among other things I learned Ivy City used to have a dual turntable setup).

But got me wondering, where does Amtrak CURRENTLY use a turntable. It looks like Lorton VA is one.
Where else?
 #1518286  by Greg Moore

Hmm, I should have looked before, but looks like Ivy City still has one. Is it commonly used?
 #1518334  by jhdeasy

Greg Moore wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:27 pm Hmm, I should have looked before, but looks like Ivy City still has one. Is it commonly used?
Private cars that need to be turned at WAS are turned on the wye at Ivy City, not on the turntable. It’s been that way since at least 1987, when I made my first PV movement on Amtrak.

I’ve never seen that turntable at Ivy City in use.
 #1518383  by shadyjay

mtuandrew wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:56 am I’ve heard that Amtrak occasionally uses the VRS turntable in St. Albans. Is this still the case?
IIRC, there's a wye in St Albans that the Vermonter uses. New England Central owns the yard, not VRS, and there is a turntable there.
 #1518386  by Greg Moore

And a roundhouse! That's an awesome find.
 #1518552  by n2cbo

Dick H wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:48 pm Thanks to BostonTX for this 44 second video of the NECR table in St. Albans VT in 3016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJdQvRdUbY
I think your flux capacitor needs some adjustment -- 3016 -- ??? 8^)
 #1518563  by Backshophoss

This is a shared use Turntable,in ABQ the roundhouse is gone hidden by the former ATSF backshop is a turntable shared with BNSF,
NMRX and Amtrak.
one of the remaining tracks leads to the Main shop building.
The roundhouse was Demo'ed after the ATSF historical collection was donated to the CSRR museum in Sacramento Ca.
 #1518576  by Greg Moore

How often would Amtrak need to turn something in Albuquerque?
 #1518584  by amtrakhogger

jhdeasy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:09 am
Greg Moore wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:27 pm Hmm, I should have looked before, but looks like Ivy City still has one. Is it commonly used?
Private cars that need to be turned at WAS are turned on the wye at Ivy City, not on the turntable. It’s been that way since at least 1987, when I made my first PV movement on Amtrak.

I’ve never seen that turntable at Ivy City in use.
The Ivy City turntable is used on occasion and I did see a P42 taking a spin about a month ago. But I think they prefer to wye the diesels before they get to the pit since it takes less time and they can wye multiple motors at once vs. one unit at a time on the table.
 #1518645  by Backshophoss

The turntable at ABQ is used as needed by Amtrak,NMRX and BNSF,When the IM yard or the Auto Rack yard are switched since the
leads cross thru the wye at Abajo,blocking 1 of the wye legs.
 #1518662  by Allouette

Amtrak has a turntable at Redondo Jct. just south of LA Union Station. The roundhouse was torn down some years ago.