Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak turntables

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1518791  by jhdeasy

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:49 am How often would Amtrak need to turn something in Albuquerque?
Probably not that often.

However, the City of Albuquerque is promoting themself as a destination for visiting private cars. A private car visiting Albuquerque would probably wish to be turned so they are properly pointed for the trip back home on the Southwest Chief.

AAPRCO’s 2019 convention is at Albuquerque, on September 16-20.
 #1518910  by Rockingham Racer

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:49 am How often would Amtrak need to turn something in Albuquerque?

I believe that was part of the proposition for re-routing the Southwest Chief: to run via Wichita/Amarillo and from Belen up to ABQ. Westbound, they would pull in to the station at ABQ, do their work, then back south to the wye to turn the train in order to run the current route on the Glorieta Sub down to Dalies. A very time-consuming move that requires lots of hand-throw switching. The other idea was to just skip ABQ altogether and just run west to Dalies on the Transcon.
 #1518912  by mkerfe

They may also use it if there is a protect engine there and they need to flip it around.
 #1518946  by Backshophoss

Amtrak has turned P42's on that turntable,when the wye is blocked when BNSF switches the Auto Rack yard,(old tie plant yard).
NMRX has rebuilt the Broadway grade crossing with new rail,flashers and gates.
Amtrak will run power first up the wye,then shove back to the platforms,if the whole train short turns at ABQ
Will also get a "Honey Wagon" visit while tuning on the wye
 #1570008  by bostontx

Dick H wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:48 pm Thanks to BostonTX for this 44 second video of the NECR table in St. Albans VT in 3016
Now I'm embarrassed by that video. Anything I should've focused on?
 #1570199  by Arborwayfan

Well, I'm fascinated by the bigger two-bay enginehouse at one end of the roundhouse, and the smaller two-bay enginehouse just to the left of that but not connected. What's the history of locomotive ownership and size that made that happen? Suddenly they bought longer locomotives, but only two of them? And then later they got more short ones? But you couldn't have answered that in a drone video, which video was good.
 #1570240  by J.D. Lang

I know that G&W has a paint shop there. They bring in locomotives from their various NE subsidiaries to be painted there. So one of those buildings may be the paint shop.