Railroad Forums 

• Ocean View Question(s)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1518212  by XC Tower

Hello,
Just called Amtrak to ask about this dome-car's status for the up-coming "leaf-changing" season. The answer was that it would not be running as it has been "retired"....In late June, a ticket agent in Schenectady told me it wasn't running this season, who said that it was not running this year due to being "rebuilt for next year"....I know that rumors run rife, but is it in Beech Grove? How about the being rebuilt for future service information?
I am going to miss riding this car along Lake Champlain for the "Leaf-Peeping" season (Funny side note: When stopped at the U.S./Canada border for the customs check, the Canada Customs officer simply couldn't understand why someone would ride the train for such a purpose....I still remember the look on her face when she heard my answer....) Hope it is back in the future.

XC
 #1518222  by Greg Moore

Unless Anderson gets replaced soon, my guess is that it's the drumhead for the Ocean View and it won't turn another wheel on a revenue train while owned by Amtrak. It's a shame.

I still think Amtrak should have tracked down the 3-4 surviving siblings and used them as a small but robust fleet.
 #1518234  by njtmnrrbuff

The Ocean View has been retired. It was mentioned numerous times in the past year that it would never turn a wheel anymore, at least on a Amtrak revenue train. There are plenty of tourist trains that still use dome cars and in Canada, there are multiple long distance VIA Rail trains that do as well-Canadian, Ocean, Skeena, etc. I was very fortunate enough to be able to ride in the Dome Car on 69 four years ago between Albany and Plattsburgh.
 #1518333  by jhdeasy

Amtrak 10031 OCEAN VIEW is stored outdoors at Beech Grove, pending disposition. A friend who is working there (prepping cars for shipment to new owners) saw it earlier this month.

If I wanted to buy a full dome to replace MOUNT VERNON, I would prefer one of the former ATSF full domes over the former GN full domes.
 #1518362  by jp1822

I heard it is waiting disposition at Beech Grove and has also been moth-balled as well.
 #1518366  by markhb

I'm still broken-hearted that I didn't ride it last year on the Downeaster. :(
 #1518400  by Backshophoss

It's 3 axle trucks and air brake setup make it a bear to keep it in service,if sold there will be a provision that it can no longer be
Amtrak certified as a pvt car for travel on Amtrak trains.
There are regular Dome cars in the "Stainless steel Graveyard" in Granite City IL that could be restored for service by pvt owner.
Except for the Exhibit train and a few Heritage Bags used in company service,Amtrak is DONE with the Heritage fleet ! :(
 #1518428  by R36 Combine Coach

Backshophoss wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:02 pmExcept for the Exhibit train and a few Heritage Bags used in company service,Amtrak is DONE with the Heritage fleet!
Of course, Metroliners in service as cab cars are PRR/PC heritage. Caltrans has Comarrows (PC/NJDOT/NJT heritage) and NCDOT has 1965 heritage coaches (KCS & UP) and combines originally from U.S. Army.
 #1518439  by Backshophoss

Ocean View was a HEP conversion of a steam heated/mech AC powered by a onboard gen=set.
The IP owned Big Domes still retain that gen-set(upgraded) for non HEP/Ground power locations.

For better or worse,The Metroliners were the Amfleet prototypes bodyshell wise
The short bags/powercars/"Le Pub" lounges(the US Army cars) were the first HEP conversions to be "retired"
Some of the Metroliner conversions were "Quick and dirty" coaches for Mi services.

Amtrak for all purposes has "retired" from the Heritage Fleet era.(ie all of the HEP conversion ex-steam heated carsl)
 #1518565  by NS VIA FAN

markhb wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:22 pm I'm still broken-hearted that I didn't ride it last year on the Downeaster. :(
From your profile…..it appears you’re in Maine so a 5 or 6 hr drive will get you to Montreal or Moncton…..then you can sample a Dome ride on VIA’s 'Ocean'. Come on up!

These are Budd 'Short-Domes'...with a great forward view.

#1518591  by Tadman

I will second that, Via's short domes are my favorite so far after riding a handful, both short and long. Especially if you can find the refurbished Premier class domes cars out west. Those are excellent.
 #1518696  by markhb

Yes, I'm in Portland, and while it won't be the same as seeing what the B&M looks like facing forward, that VIA trip does sound fun!
 #1518705  by NS VIA FAN

markhb wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:04 am Yes, I'm in Portland, and while it won't be the same as seeing what the B&M looks like facing forward, that VIA trip does sound fun!
Too bad the CAT wasn't still running (as well as the Dominion Atlantic Dayliner) and you could have put a nice round trip together!
 #1518777  by Gilbert B Norman

The Albany Times-Union has an article reporting to its general circulation base what the community following Amtrak affairs has known for a while:

https://www.timesunion.com/business/art ... o-12034375

Fair Use:
Amtrak's Great Dome car, a regular feature during fall foliage season on the Adirondack between Albany and Montreal, has been retired.

The two-level passenger car with a glassed-in upper level stretching the length of the car was the last of a fleet of six originally built for the Great Northern Railway's Empire Builder between Chicago and Seattle in the mid-1950s.

The Milwaukee Road operated its own fleet of 10 "Super Dome" cars that were similar in appearance, with the glassed-in upper level also stretching the full length of the railroad car. They were used on the railroad's Hiawatha passenger trains and later on such trains as the City of Denver. Those dome cars ended up with cruise lines or scenic railroads.

Amtrak spokesman Jason Abrams on Friday told the Times Union that, "due to the age and expense of maintaining this vintage car, the Great Dome Car will no longer operate as part of Amtrak's fleet."
Uh volks, somebody should give the Times-Union's Cub Reporter a few lessons in Dome Car history, or refer him to the Late Dan Ainsworth's "Dome Main" site still hosted at Trainweb.

Reviewing the Photo Gallery at the article, all too many of the photos are "experiential". Lest we forget the "new hand at the throttle" is now the "new hand at the controls" and wearing a Pilot's hat. Lest we further forget, he did "not exactly" sanction DC-6B's with "no boys allowed" Attendants called "Stews" and dressed in uniforms contemporary to the delivery of the Great Domes.
 #1518857  by andrewjw

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:59 am Uh volks, somebody should give the Times-Union's Cub Reporter a few lessons in Dome Car history, or refer him to the Late Dan Ainsworth's "Dome Main" site still hosted at Trainweb.

Reviewing the Photo Gallery at the article, all too many of the photos are "experiential". Lest we forget the "new hand at the throttle" is now the "new hand at the controls" and wearing a Pilot's hat. Lest we further forget, he did "not exactly" sanction DC-6B's with "no boys allowed" Attendants called "Stews" and dressed in uniforms contemporary to the delivery of the Great Domes.
Can I get a translation please?