Railroad Forums 

• Getting a last diner meal in the northeast

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1516938  by train2

With all the news of diners going away on the eastern trains, I though it might be nice to get in one last meal on a diner before the end. I always enjoyed them in the past. I don't currently pay a lot of attention to Amtrak so I need some details filled in, do I understand the end date is set as Oct 1st?

My goal is to get a diner meal in without a lot of inconvenience and expense. I have no need to take an overnight trip before Oct. For someone based in the northeast the most convenient train to me is the Capitol Limited, but am I correct that that train already is providing the boxed meals. What other trains already use the boxed meals between now and the end date?

One alternative, I have always heard you could take a trip on the corridor by booking a long distance train to a point south of DC. What I would like to know is do trains such as the Crescent and Meteor actually serve dinner while still on the Corridor? How do they handle meal time during the engine changes at DC? Is the diner closed then? I know a lot of diners have inconvenient periods of time they don't serve meals. Plus how do they handle seating in the diners now? Do you need to make a reservation the moment you get on?

Could I book a trip from say NY/Newark to Alexandria and get a diner in on the Crescent of Meteor? Bail off at Alex and ride back north? Both schedules look like that would work.

Any other ways to pull this off? What type of meals are on the Cardinal?

Finally I keep reading reference to coach passengers not having access to diners. Is this the new post Oct. scenario or current? Half my diner meals I have had were as a coach passenger. Is this still possible?
 #1516942  by train2

Other possible options would be to ride Crescent south to it meets the NB and return. That would allow two meals, but would require one to be up all night.

I could do the same with the Meteor to Richmond. I have yet to look to see the latest northbound out of Richmond/Frederickburg, etc.

Am I correct that the Lake Shore has no diner until Albany?
 #1516944  by Matt Johnson

train2 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:26 am
Am I correct that the Lake Shore has no diner until Albany?
Incorrect, it has a diner serving as a "sleeper lounge" with "contemporary meals" out of New York.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqLJxTVB4tb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqLPEGJh_lb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqLbT4Xhr4V/
 #1516950  by lordsigma12345

If you are looking for one last true diner experience, it’s eitner the Crescent or Silver Meteor - those are the trains that are actually being downgraded. Capitol was downgraded already last year and lake shore already had a diner lite before they got switched to the new concept last year. Cardinal and CONO are also getting the new concept but like lake shore already have a limited non fresh dining service. You could book one of those down to DC or Alexandria and just make sure you eat right away (I think you can get southbound sleepers - roomettes only - on the NEC down to DC now) - they do start serving while still on the corridor on both - in fact every time I’ve had dinner on an eastern train I’ve eaten on the corridor before arrival into DC. You could then just get off in DC if you finish eating on time and take a corridor train home. Note that of course you are risking the earlier meal not being available and having to continue past DC to eat especially if you try to do it in coach - if you really want to do it I’d go for a roomette if you can to get a better selection of meal times.
 #1516961  by train2

lordsigma12345 thanks you seem to get what I want.

Its been 10 years since I last took one of the long distance trains. I take it you are saying they will seat/reserve sleepers first over coach?

I have to admit I was only reading about this diner thing casually until I thought of this idea. I have read that coach passenger are not allowed in the diner even a coast. Is this the new system or currently?

PS. I have to admit, since I don't ride often I have no real idea of what "diner lite" actually means as far as selection. Could you enlighten me a bit?
 #1516962  by lordsigma12345

train2 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:19 pm lordsigma12345 thanks you seem to get what I want.

Its been 10 years since I last took one of the long distance trains. I take it you are saying they will seat/reserve sleepers first over coach?

I have to admit I was only reading about this diner thing casually until I thought of this idea. I have read that coach passenger are not allowed in the diner even a coast. Is this the new system or currently?

PS. I have to admit, since I don't ride often I have no real idea of what "diner lite" actually means as far as selection. Could you enlighten me a bit?
Sleeper passengers will get first dibs on picking reservation times. There are usually two or three seating depending on how busy.
 #1516971  by lordsigma12345

train2 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:19 pm I have read that coach passenger are not allowed in the diner even a coast. Is this the new system or currently?

Coach passengers are not allowed in the new "Contemporary Dining" diners on the Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited (and soon to be expanded to the Crescent, Meteor, City of New Orleans, and Cardinal.) That applies only to the new model - they are allowed to purchase meals in full service diners as well as "diner lites."

Just to explain the various diner variants:

- Full service diner with table service and on board meal preparation is available on the California Zephyr, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, and Coast Starlight. It is right now also available on the Crescent and Silver Meteor until the upcoming change to Contemporary on Oct. 1. The Auto Train also has a full service diner, but the menu items are pretty much as is and you can't customize it as much, but it is still on board preparation and table service. This is mainly due to the large amount of passengers the AT diners have to serve so they keep it a bit simpler. After October 1st this will only be available on the western long distance trains and the Auto Train.

- "Diner lite" Refers to a more limited dining car setup with less staff and a smaller menu of pre-prepared meals that are heated and served. It does have table service like a traditional diner and the presentation is similar, but much less choices and much less on board preparation. The Cardinal and City of New Orleans have different versions of this sort of concept - the Lake Shore Limited also had this format before it got contemporary dining last year. Like a full service diner, coach passengers may purchase meals from the diner lite car. This format will be no more after October 1st as they will be standardizing the diner lite trains with the contemporary dining model.

- "Contemporary Dining" is the new program. It has similarities with the diner lite, but the table service is eliminated and coach passengers have only the cafe car on these trains. You simply order your meal and specify the time you want to pick it up at the dining car. There is no on board preparation other than that the entree itself is heated. The LSA then gives you your meal in a box where you may choose to bring it back to your room or eat it at a table in the diner. At other times on these trains the diner is a lounge for sleeper passengers only where you may get any soft drinks you want. You also get one free alcoholic beverage with this concept. Breakfast on these is mostly a basic continental breakfast although you can get the LSA to heat oatmeal for you or hard boiled eggs or a ham egg and cheese sandwich.
 #1517016  by bratkinson

For what it's worth, I have/had the exact same thoughts as the OP...getting REAL dinner in the almost new Viewliner diners before they start serving boxed dog food on October 1.

Living in New England, I decided to book a trip on the Meteor to West Palm Beach and back, and another on the Crescent to Atlanta and back. That way, I get 2 each breakfast, lunch, and diner. Also included on the trip is a full day to ride Virgin/Brightline and Tri-Rail. On the Crescent, dinner and breakfast both ways and maybe a lunch before returning to NYP.

While certainly not low price trips like the OP would prefer, it serves my desires for the 'last' of real food on east coast LD trains.
 #1517044  by train2

I actually had thought about riding the Cresenet to the meeting point and turning back for a breakfast as well. Your idea of round trips is pretty good.

I don't see the Crescent or the Meteor very often, are these all new Viewliners now? I guess no conventional diners still run?