Railroad Forums 

• Getting a last diner meal in the northeast

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1517135  by train2

Gilbert Norman, thanks for that Chicago piece. That is to far and dated. But I noticed you mentioned the Southern Crescent. I know a fan that use to do that dinner to Alexandria. Over the years I lost the details, I did not realize you were able to board in DC and dine there as opposed to riding from NYC. Interesting factoid.
 #1517155  by ExCon90

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 am From Pitter Hotel Salzburg--

The only "Dinner in the Diner" left today from CHI is CHI-3-GBB-372-CHI, and even that depends upon when they open to serve.
Back in ATSF days some friends of mine took the Super Chief to Fort Madison, stayed overnight, and returned on the Super Chief the next day. It was stretching the rules a bit, but they said it was well worth it, which I can believe. One of them couldn't decide whether to have the roast beef (a featured item on the dinner menu) or the filet mignon. The steward said, "I understand your group is returning on the Super Chief tomorrow; why not have the roast beef tonight and the filet mignon for lunch tomorrow?" -- "Can I get filet mignon at lunch?" -- "Sir, this is the Super Chief. You can have anything you want." Typical of the Santa Fe.
 #1517531  by chrsjrcj

You don't even need to ride south of D.C. as Amtrak has opened up roomettes for travel between NYP and DC (and intermediate stops) on southbound long distance trains.