Railroad Forums 

• The future of sleepers

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1516251  by Greg Moore

A recent question on Quora regarding the lack of sleepers between NYC and Montreal/Toronto got me thinking about the role of sleepers and their future.

(And moderators there may be a better thread for this since I think we've discussed this before).

I'm starting with one assumption I think is currently safe: Long Distance trains aren't going anywhere any time soon.

I personally think sleepers still have a place.
Firstly, on Long Distance trains, there will always be folks who don't want to ride from Denver to Oakland in coach. Amtrak is going to continue to need sleepers on trains such as that.

But I've found that I've used some sleepers for business purposes. For example, the Lake Shore Limited served me well for business more than once. Why fly when I could board in Albany, get a great meal and relax and sleep until I got to Toledo.

So the question above got me thinking about where else would sleepers actually work well.

So, I got thinking about a world where Amtrak promotes sleepers as an alternative to business travel, with a focus on leaving at or around dinner and arriving at or near the start of the business day. So this means leaving sometime between say 6:00 PM (this may be problematic in NYP with the number of available slots) and arriving at anytime between 6:00 AM and 9:00. So, 12-15 hours of travel.

This of course means something like the Night Owl continues to make sense. So, I'd add a sleeper there. That's 2.
But as the Quora question got me thinking, NYP-Montreal is not a bad pair. I'm not entirely sure there's that much call for overnight traffic but it seems like a viable overnight pair. This is another 2 sleepers, but probably no need for a diner. Leave soon after dinner, and arrive before breakfast. But if you want to, perhaps consider 2 diners. This would be along the route of the Adirondack, not the Vermonter/Montrealer. But that's another possibility as you suddenly bring in the cities of Hartford, Springfield and Burlington into play.

And NYP-Toronto becomes an interesting one. I believe this is more viable than the NYP-Montreal pair actually.

Beyond that, I'm hard-pressed to think of good overnight city pairs. LA and Oakland is another possible one.

In my days of more business travel, I'd certainly have preferred the train over flying out early in the morning, or the previous day and then being stuck at a random hotel.

Thoughts? Would you as a business traveler take advantage of more sleepers if properly marketed?
 #1516261  by electricron

The point of adding sleepers is to provide a room with a bunk for passengers to sleep upon.

The New York City to Montreal train runs between 8:15 am and 7:11 pm northbound, and between 10:20 am and 8:50 pm southbound.

Most Americans sleep between 11 pm and 7 am, and in both directions this train has already reached its final destination. Why provide a sleeper service for a train that can run in daylight the entire way in the summer?

Wouldn't it be better for Amtrak to use the few Viewliner sleepers it has on trains that run between 11 pm and 7 am?
 #1516272  by eolesen

Sleepers in general are an outdated concept. Adapt the pod seats like you now see on Jetblue or international business class aircraft, and you get a multi-position seat that can be a lie-flat bed, something to relax in while you look out the window or watch a movie on your tablet, or a workdesk to get things done. I've spent many a 14-18 hour flight in those types of seats, and never once wished I had a private room.

On a multi-day trip, there's more argument for individual rooms, but on a one-day segment, that type of a seat would have just as much utility from 7am to 11pm as it would from 11pm to 7am.
 #1516284  by Rockingham Racer

There's lots of city pairs where more sleepers would work. The problem is that it involves adding and dropping under the current route and timetable structure, and Amtrak doesn't like to do that. And it would be more cost to have personnel do that, unless you have the conductor help out with the switching, instead of a carman located at the switch out point.
 #1516288  by Philly Amtrak Fan

mtuandrew wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:57 am Overnight:
-LAX-SFO
-WAS-ATL
-NYP-CLT
-NYP-TOR
I'd support any Amtrak service into the city of San Francisco and would love overnight service from LA to the Bay Area. The Coast Starlight might be great scenery but you lose your entire day riding it between LAX and SJC. It would be great having at the very least a train over the same route overnight just like the 80's Spirit of California (http://timetables.org/full.php?group=19821031&item=0053). But a train serving San Francisco instead of Sacramento would be even better.

As for WAS-ATL, don't we already have that?

PGH-PHL/NYP, especially if extended to CHI and giving daytime service to Ohio.
CHI-MSP
DAL/FTW-AUS/SAS
 #1516305  by danib62

I would kill for the return of sleeper service between WAS and BOS on the overnight run.
 #1516306  by CarterB

danib62 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:35 am I would kill for the return of sleeper service between WAS and BOS on the overnight run.
Or better yet, the "add on" sleeper to/from NYP/WAS with early occupancy.
 #1516309  by bostontrainguy

It's surprising that in Japan, which has great high-speed rail, there are some really impressive unique sleeper trains. Each one very special and almost futuristically insane. There is a future if we had something like this running here . . . say New York - Chicago non-stop through Canada. I think these trains pretty much achieve Anderson's "experiential" status.

https://wow-j.com/en/Allguides/other/si ... /01460_en/

On a side note . . . whenever we used to take Amtrak overnight between Boston and Florida on vacation inevitably our friends and coworkers always commented, "I didn't even know you can do that". Amtrak could promote these trains much better.
 #1516312  by mtuandrew

They could promote them but for the low capacity and poor timekeeping, and the fact that they lose money on each passenger. Without more seats & berths and more reliability, there’s no point in promoting them to time-sensitive travelers.

But yes, I’d like them to be promotable too.
 #1516329  by west point

The potential of WASH <> ATL is unknown as the sleepers always sell out except for a few last minute cancellations. If sleepers are cut off in ATL then only one sleeper would be needed ATL <> New Orleans. That would save 1400+ miles for a essentially empty sleeper twice a day. WASH could add the sleeper(s) attached to the engine change to / from the P-42s. Or another could be added at NYP but that would require another sleeper. Another route is the Meteor that often adds sleepers during high traffic times that in reality cannot be assigned year around. Same point as Crescent WASH or NYP. The LSL could add another to / from NYP as the BOS sleeper when not able to run was assigned to NYP.
 #1516339  by Greg Moore

electricron wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:49 pm The point of adding sleepers is to provide a room with a bunk for passengers to sleep upon.

The New York City to Montreal train runs between 8:15 am and 7:11 pm northbound, and between 10:20 am and 8:50 pm southbound.

Most Americans sleep between 11 pm and 7 am, and in both directions this train has already reached its final destination. Why provide a sleeper service for a train that can run in daylight the entire way in the summer?

Wouldn't it be better for Amtrak to use the few Viewliner sleepers it has on trains that run between 11 pm and 7 am?
You misunderstand what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that in addition to the Adirondack, Amtrak consider an additional overnight train.
This is actually a decent example. The Adirondack is a GREAT scenic ride. It's on my list of trains to ride.
BUT, for a business person, it's got a LOUSY schedule. But if one could depart NYC or Albany in the evening and arrive in the morning, you suddenly have a service you can promote to the business traveler.

Also, I'm not suggesting any of this with the existing number of sleepers, but a future where expansion is considered. Say in a more rail-friendly administration.
 #1516340  by Greg Moore

Philly Amtrak Fan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:33 am
mtuandrew wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:57 am Overnight:
-LAX-SFO
-WAS-ATL
-NYP-CLT
-NYP-TOR
I'd support any Amtrak service into the city of San Francisco and would love overnight service from LA to the Bay Area. The Coast Starlight might be great scenery but you lose your entire day riding it between LAX and SJC. It would be great having at the very least a train over the same route overnight just like the 80's Spirit of California (http://timetables.org/full.php?group=19821031&item=0053). But a train serving San Francisco instead of Sacramento would be even better.

As for WAS-ATL, don't we already have that?

PGH-PHL/NYP, especially if extended to CHI and giving daytime service to Ohio.
CHI-MSP
DAL/FTW-AUS/SAS
Yes, we already have WAS-ATL, but as others have said, being able to drop a sleeper there would make sense.

And again,I think a big part of making this work would be to make sure it's marketed as a business option.