Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak to the New York State Fair

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1517529  by Greg Moore

Interesting: Governor Cuomo is taking the train to the fair.
Cuomo says he’s making the three-hour trip with some of his cabinet and top staff. The train trip will include a sampling of New York-based foods and drinks
Sure it's a bit of a political show, but I'll take it!
 #1517749  by STrRedWolf

Rockingham Racer wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:28 am I supposed the guv will get his own car?
It would be a security requirement, at least, but given "some of cabinet and top staff" means a good hefty group that adding a car makes sense.
 #1518785  by jhdeasy

Coach 82651 and cafe 48613, both wrapped for the New York State Fair, were on the rear of train 63(21).

Some official photos of the Governor’s trip from Albany-Rensselaer to the fair:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/governora ... 0469310112

The photos suggest that the two cars were added to the rear of the train at ALB.
 #1518789  by jhdeasy

Earlier this summer I was contacted by a prospective charter client who wanted to take a group from NYP to the state fair, park the private car (MOUNT VERNON) at/near the fairgrounds, use it as their hotel overnight and return to NYP after a second day at the fair. I had to tell them that this trip was not possible with a private car, as Amtrak will not allow switching/parking private cars at/near the fairgrounds.

I offered an alternative trip to Niagara Falls or Toronto or Montréal, but their interest was focused on the state fair.
 #1518847  by STrRedWolf

jhdeasy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:02 am Earlier this summer I was contacted by a prospective charter client who wanted to take a group from NYP to the state fair, park the private car (MOUNT VERNON) at/near the fairgrounds, use it as their hotel overnight and return to NYP after a second day at the fair. I had to tell them that this trip was not possible with a private car, as Amtrak will not allow switching/parking private cars at/near the fairgrounds.

I offered an alternative trip to Niagara Falls or Toronto or Montréal, but their interest was focused on the state fair.
Looking at the rail maps and ownerships... and the overhead sat view...

There's no place to park it if you even talked to CSX to haul it out there. Looks like some track got removed to boot.

... makes me wonder. I just checked where the Maryland State Fair in Timonium, MD is... and no side tracks ether. A shame. I wonder what state fair would let you park a train there.
 #1518892  by R36 Combine Coach

mtuandrew wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:59 pmCan’t quite get to the Minnesota State Fairgrounds either, though you’re within a mile of the old St. Paul Midway Station that does still host private cars.
NJ State Fair (in the Meadowlands last week of June/early July, not related to the other state fair in Sussex County/Augusta) is right on the NJT Meadowlands Line.

I also recall service to Delaware State Fair in Dover.