Railroad Forums 

• SELECTED ON-TIME PERFORMANCE 7/1 THROUGH 7/30/19

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1515974  by shlustig

Results for this period are:

TOTAL TRAINS = 1120

ON TIME = 297 (27%)

LATE = 823 (73%)

AVERAGE DELAY = 1' 03"

Of the late trains:
37% were 29" or less late;
26% were 30to 59" late; 23% were 1' to 2' late;
14% were more than 2' late; and
<1% had no arrival time shown.

BY ROUTE, WITH O.T. % AND AVERAGE DELAY:

CAPITOL LIMITED
#29 - 14% - 1' 46"
#30 - 13% - 2' 21"

CARDINAL (WAS)
#51 - 23% - 1' 37"
#50 - 0% - 2' 10"

PENNSYLVANIAN
#43 - 17% - 46"
#42 - 21% - 33"

LAKE SHORE LIMITED
#49 - 17% - 1'14"
#48 - 20% - 1' 16"

LAKE SHORE LIMITED (BOSTON / ALBANY)
#449 - 20% - 28"
#448 - 0% - 1' 44"

CITY OF NEW ORLEANS
#59 - N/A
#58 - N/A

CRESCENT
#19 - 4% - 2' 11"
#20 - 13% - 1' 29"

DETROIT CORRIDOR
(W) - 5% - 57"
(E) - 8% - 59"

ST. LOUIS CORRIDOR
(W) - 48% - 40"
(E) - 50% - 1' 18"

BUFFALO CORRIDOR
(W) - 3% - 52"
(E) - 49% - 44"

KANSAS CITY CORRIDOR
(W) - 33% - 39"
(E) - 43% - 28"

Only 91% of the full complement of trains was reviewed in this period due to cancellations caused by programmed trackwork, flooding and storm damage, and various operational incidents primarily on the routes of the City of New Orleans, Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited, and the KCY Corridor.

The only services which showed improvement in both measured categories were the westbound Capitol Limited and both directions of the KCY Corridor.

Of the 111 trains that were more than 2' late: the Capitol Limited accounted for 23, the Texas Eagle on the STL Corridor for 20, the Lake
Shore Limited for 16, and the Crescent for 13.

Services which contributed the most to the total delay minutes in this period were the DET Corridor for 19%, the STL and BUF Corridors for 17% each, and the Lake Shore and Capitol Limiteds for 12% each.

The service performance continues to deteriorate which is apparently the intent of the senior management given the absence of visible effort at corrective action. We should not expect any improvement in the near future.
 #1516658  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Lustig, what is surprising is the performance, or lack thereof, on the Detroit Corridor. This is a corridor with an essentially public ownership, but with admittedly ownership and dispatch on both ends in the hands of the GT and NS respectively.

If most delays can be attributed to those "ends", then that becomes a matter Amtrak need address with those two roads. But if the delays are occurring on the Amtrak-MDOT segment (most of it in mileage), then "Amtrak owns 'em" to the same extent they do on the Corridor.

I could make use of the Detroit Corridor, as I like to attend concerts at both Ann Arbor and Detroit. But use of such is off the table for me until I see same performance as passengers on the Corridor expect and, by and large, get.

I've addressed the St. Louis Corridor at other topics. I think it "travesty" that after an ARRA09 appropriation directed towards "High Speed Rail", all that resulted is a taxpayer funded additional route for the UP to access Chicago interchange and their intermodal facility at Elwood (Joliet), IL.

While I have no occasion to use that service, I have neighbors with a daughter going to St. Louis University. They're not about to give her an auto (not sure she'd even want it); my "pitch" to them for Amtrak was limited to "they have about five a day and there is a station in Summit so she need not go into town."

The LD's; evidently Amtrak doesn't care. I'm not sure who wants 'em gone the most - Amtrak or the roads. But the Corridors are what future rail passenger service is all about, and away from the NE (can't speak for the West Coast) their "report card" is not one to "show off to Mom and Dad".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1516677  by twropr

Two observations I can share. First, there are a few temporary speed restrictions on the CN/GTW between Pontiac and Detroit that add a few minutes. Secondly, the Incremental Trail Control System (ITCS) which was placed in service between Town Line and Kalamazoo in April still has some bugs and quite a few trains are getting hit with ITCS-imposed delays. For reasons unknown delays over the CN-controlled joint track thru Battle Creek (Baron to Gord) are frequent. Some of it may be CN freights, but the line is not real busy so not all of these delays would be freight related.
Andy
 #1516700  by JoeG

Last figures I saw had Acela's OTP somewhere in the 80s. This being Amtrak's premier service, and them dispatching most of the route, and it, by some measures, being profitable,I'm left scratching my head. Let's see: most of the corridors outside of the NEC, including Michigan, where a lot of money was spent, don't do well. LD trains have OTPs that would be poor in a third world country.

So, just what trains do Mr Anderson and his senior managers think are its priority? Which routes have improved in OTP during Mr Anderson's tenure?

I am more convinced as his tenure continues that Mr Anderson was hired to sabotage Amtrak, and at this, perhaps his real job, he is performing spectacularly.
 #1518027  by shlustig

PHA asked off line saying that he has been reading Amtrak's delays on Twitter and wants to know about "unforeseen crew changes".

I don't know what Amtrak considers to be "unforeseen" but the only unforeseen crew changes which we used to have were caused by various non-emergency situations in which the Federal HOS limits could not be exceeded without penalty or by rules violations such as Rule 292 STOP SIGNAL.

Looking at the Amtrak Twitter Delay messages, I get the impression that Amtrak is sending out crews that are not fully rested and do not have the full 12' to work. Whether they tie a train down because only some of the crew have reached the limit or not is another question which would depend on whether or not the crew is working as a unit (all on the same hours).
 #1518054  by Greg Moore

Not exactly an "emergency" (at least in my book) on our honeymoon decades ago, we were on the Southwest Chief when the engineer greatly exceeded the speed for the curve (we were in the diner and could hear the china falling off shelves in the galley below).

The conductor stopped the train and we waited for 5+ hours for a qualified crew to come in. (Being in New Mexico will do that.)

I'd certainly call that an unforeseen crew change ;-)
 #1518147  by Greg Moore

It's been 23 years (almost to the day!) so I can't really remember, but it had to be past ABQ since we had stopped there during daylight hours.

This was during our lunch.

I had been telling my wife how beautiful the desert could be... and then after this happened, we were stuck for 5 hours with a high embankment without a few.
We ended up getting into Flagstaff at about 2:00 AM where our rental car agent met us, got us our car and after a shopping stop headed to the Grand Canyon.
 #1518202  by shlustig

Yesterday there were "unforeseen crew changes" on #370 Pere Marquette and #354 Wolverine. Both trains originate at CHI and neither was seriously off schedule. There was no indication of an unusual incident that would effect crew hours.

Sooo, did Amtrak use crews that were not fully rested and had only limited time to work?
 #1518217  by WhartonAndNorthern

shlustig wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:32 am PHA asked off line saying that he has been reading Amtrak's delays on Twitter and wants to know about "unforeseen crew changes".

I don't know what Amtrak considers to be "unforeseen" but the only unforeseen crew changes which we used to have were caused by various non-emergency situations in which the Federal HOS limits could not be exceeded without penalty or by rules violations such as Rule 292 STOP SIGNAL.

Looking at the Amtrak Twitter Delay messages, I get the impression that Amtrak is sending out crews that are not fully rested and do not have the full 12' to work. Whether they tie a train down because only some of the crew have reached the limit or not is another question which would depend on whether or not the crew is working as a unit (all on the same hours).
  • grade crossing or tresspasser incident where the crew has requested to be relieved
  • sufficient delays where the T&E crew time out before reaching the designated crew change point
  • the prior run was delayed and now the T&E crew has less available hours: a crew may start at one location, operate to the next terminal, wait for the returning train and then operate it back to their origin terminal
  • T&E are already on duty and bad ordered equipment is found delaying on time departure
I've seen a few older maps of Amtrak crew bases. Some routes have different crew change points for engineers and conductors.